Archive 2013 · Photoshop Question on saving selections

Mr Mouse
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photoshop Question on saving selections

msoomro wrote:
Hmm.. Thanks for the catch redcrown.

Current workflow:
I open the files in PS from within LR. Basically right clink the file, \Edit In \ Edit in photoshop option.

I opened and reviewed the ACR settings in PS. At the bottom where it says "JPEG and TIFF Handling" I originally had it set as "Automatically open all supported TIFFs". After your message i set it to "Disable Tiff support". Seems like the problem is gone

It has been driving me crazy for last 36 -48 hours.. THANKS a bunch. msoomro

IMO there is no real good reason to open any image file format through ACR other than RAW Image Files once you have CC. Only RAW Image files and PSD files with smart object that are raw file have camera sensor data. ACR Does not have layer support so it can not process PSD files and Tiff files with layers and many alpha cannels data. It will only process the composite image. One you have CC ACR can be used on any layer. The layer should be a smart object layer so ACR will a smart filter in which case ACR setting will be recorded in the the smart layer and can be modified. So if you open your tiff files in CC not through ACR not through ACR you will have your Alpha channels and possibly other raster layers. You can convert the background layer or a group of layers into a smart layer of your image and use ACR as a smart. Still have your alpha channels and you will see you have ACR as a smart filter for the image object.. If the image object is layered you can even open the object in Photoshop work on the layers and when you commit the changes Photoshop will update the smart layers object and then apply that ACR smart filter.

If you use ACR as a filter on a normal layer its a destructive process for the layers pixels will be modified and no ACR settings are recorded.

Dec 30, 2013 at 09:22 AM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photoshop Question on saving selections

I have two good reasons for processing non-raw files in ACR.

First is for "fixing" jpegs I inherit from other photogs where no raw is available. Does not happen often, but recently a niece got married. As the master family
photographer (with a website), everyone sent me their P&S jpegs. I got about 1,000 jpegs, even some from decent cameras.

These culled down to about 200 keepers, but those keepers needed fixin. Mostly white balance, minor exposure corrections, and cropping. Some needed red-eye fixes. Some needed local adjustments, like highlight recovery only on the bride's dress.

ACR was certainly the best tool for the task, especially when the same correction (WB) needed to be made to several photos in a sequence. One photog had over agressive sharpening set in her camera. A -10 clarity setting in ACR made a big improvement.

After I finished ACR adjustments, I used the Image Processor to batch the images into a new set of jpegs for uploading to the web. From there they went to prints, Facebook pages, and who knows where else. Yeah, they are not the best quality, but when life hands you lemons....

My second use of ACR on non-raw is for cropping. When I'm completely finished processing an image I save the result as a flat tif. I then open that flat tif in ACR and apply a crop. I can use the snapshot feature of ACR to save multiple crops. They are non-destructive. At any time I can clear the crop to get back to the full frame image.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.