Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · #586 Overboard

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #586 Overboard

I have been wanting to do some Splash photography so I took a shot. Thank you for taking a look. Jim

Overboard

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    100mm    f/2.8    1/4000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #586 Overboard

Interesting shot Jim, nice textures in the water and great sharp focus on the tools. What was the process behind the image?

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:29 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #586 Overboard

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Interesting shot Jim, nice textures in the water and great sharp focus on the tools. What was the process behind the image?

Thank you Travis. The setup was simple; A 2 inch deep plastic container filled with water; The tripod was fully extended ( about 6 feet high; 4 feet above the water) Black plastic sheet under the water tank; 4'X6" Westcott light defuser behind the tank; 3 Clamp lights with 250 watt bulbs behind the defuser; I marked the tank and focused on the location before filling with water. I used a yellow filter and a red filter; Tools were dropped from about 2 feet: High speed continuous fire; Have fun... I shot over 400 images and saved 2.. Jim

Dec 28, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #586 Overboard

wow, that is one complicated setup Jim...I bet it is fun to take the time to set stuff like that up.

Dec 28, 2013 at 07:56 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #586 Overboard

Travis Rhoads wrote:
wow, that is one complicated setup Jim...I bet it is fun to take the time to set stuff like that up.

Travis; It is simpler than it sounds. Check this guy out as I took my set up from him. And Yes, it is a ball setting up but more so shooting. Jim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnSxlJmr8jY

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:42 PM
gt_me_jon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #586 Overboard

I really like all the implied motion and sharp details. That video was pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing the technique. I'll have to bookmark that and keep it in my back pocket.

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #586 Overboard

gt_me_jon wrote:
I really like all the implied motion and sharp details. That video was pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing the technique. I'll have to bookmark that and keep it in my back pocket.

Thank you. I found this man to be very informative, and easy to follow. Check out his other stuff and you might find somethings you want to try. Happy New Year. Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #586 Overboard

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you Travis. The setup was simple; A 2 inch deep plastic container filled with water; The tripod was fully extended ( about 6 feet high; 4 feet above the water) Black plastic sheet under the water tank; 4'X6" Westcott light defuser behind the tank; 3 Clamp lights with 250 watt bulbs behind the defuser; I marked the tank and focused on the location before filling with water. I used a yellow filter and a red filter; Tools were dropped from about 2 feet: High speed continuous fire; Have fun... I shot over 400 images and saved 2.. Jim

Darn Jim..I vote for your setup alone as the WA winner!
Really nice work!
Dan

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:18 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #586 Overboard

Danpbphoto wrote:
Darn Jim..I vote for your setup alone as the WA winner!
Really nice work!
Dan

Thanks Dan. I love photography and wish I would have had more time to enjoy it while I was young. Now I have the time, but not necessarily the desire. Again, thank you, Jim

Dec 29, 2013 at 04:48 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #586 Overboard

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you did this, it is something I would like to play around with as well. Good luck.

Mike

Dec 29, 2013 at 04:59 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #586 Overboard

pike40 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain how you did this, it is something I would like to play around with as well. Good luck.

Mike

You are quite welcome. Jim

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:39 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password