Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Chriswong1973

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Hi guys.

I have a 1DX, 5DIII (with a decent collection of L lenses), and a fuji x100s. I love my 1DX, but lately with my fuji, the 5D has been collecting dust. Just got back from a short vacation and for the first time in ages, didn't bring a dslr. It was a pleasure carrying around a small camera like the x100s. I was willing to sacrifice some IQ and overall versatility. I travel with two young kids, so there's the obligatory strollers and diaper bags.

So...the way I see it, there is redundancy with me having both a 1DX and a 5DIII. What would I lose if I traded in my 5diii and x100s for a full frame, small ILC?

My plan would be to NOT invest in many sony lenses. Id just get the zeiss 35 f2.8 to start. Again, I'm coming from the fuji, which is a fixed lens camera. And I could always get the canon a adapter if I so choose

Any thoughts??

Chris

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

If you sell your X100s, you'll lose an ultra-cool camera, with a deadly-silent leaf shutter, and excellent IQ.

If you sell your 5DIII, you'll lose an appropriate backup for the 1DX, for situations where you need awesome AF, plus you'll lose some extra MPx (compared to the 1DX).

OTOH, if you want lots more MPx for scenics, then the A7R is hard to ignore; especially for manual focus using Canon TS-E and Alt lenses. There are some issues with A7R "shutter slap", for a range of shutter speeds that includes most of where you might want to shoot moving water, to get that 'creamy' effect (see Alt forum).

Based on my understanding, you should consider getting at least a couple of Sony lenses, if you go A7R. That way, you'll get decent AF compared with your current X100s and sort of OK compared to your EOS bodies, as opposed to maybe not so good (esp. for AF tracking), when using Canon EF lenses on Sony A7R.

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:16 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Chris, what type of photography do you do? I think that this matters a lot when deciding to make such a large transition. You need to be really honest with yourself, as I'd guess that you'll likely need to invest in Sony glass to make the most of the A7r. Most of what I have seen and read suggests that, while the Sony will accept other lenses, the performance on the A7r is at its best with the matched Zeiss glass. While I am intrigued by the ability to get a 36mp image, I'm not sure I'm ready for the compromises that currently accompanies this.

If you really want a high res body, I think Nikon continues to be the best for the buck. Note, I shoot Canon and have similar gear to you… 5Diii, 2 x 7D's, and Black X100.

Have you considered the XE2 (or XPro 1) w/ a few primes?… might be a better option than selling your 5Diii.

cheers,
bruce

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:23 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Reading between the lines here - it sounds like you are really enjoying the ability to take a small system on trips, but that one lens may be somewhat limiting? That's my guess. Not only is a small convenient camera good for extended trips, but it also works for short trips to the zoo, and easy to grab when you are running out the house on your way to the next bday party or soccer game ( I have 2 very active boys).

Recently I just bought into the Fuji system by purchasing an X-E2. I thought long and hard about the new Sony full frame options, but was put off by the fact that I would have to wait and hope that Sony flushed out the lens selection a little more. Using adapters (metabones) was an option that I considered but in the end one has a small camera attached to a large lens/adapter combo...so what's the point?

My solution was to get an X-E2 + 18-55 and 55-200 + 23 f/1.4 for low light. All that fits in a smaller bag and is easy to carry. Of course, your needs may be different.

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

If you keep on trading don't you just end up going backwards - unless you can afford to play it that way?

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Some would say that if you don't adapt to the times you end up going backwards.

Mirrorless systems offer a lot of advantages now.

Dec 27, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Chriswong1973

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Thanks for all the replies. I should elaborate on how I tend to shoot and what I am looking to get out of my systems...

I am strictly a hobbyist, and the vast majority of my shots are FPJ type stuff of my family. I also do a good amount of wildlife (limited to zoo life; I volunteer for my local zoo to shoot stuff for their website, press releases etc). I love my 1DX; for me, it just does everything I need it to do, and does it very well. I currently view my 5DIII as redundant. Full frame, excellent low light capabilities, solid AF. But I don't reach for it any more. If I am shooting for the zoo, I take my 1DX (faster FPS, and I really like the ergonomics of the 1 series). If I'm casually shooting the family on a day trip, I grab the X100s. If i'm at home, I don't mind shooting with the 1DX since I'm not lugging it around all day....

So, this was my thinking (and my logic may be skewed)- I really, really enjoy shooting with the X100s. I see the A7R as a full frame, higher MP X100s. Couple that with the fact that I really am not using my 5DIII, and I see the Sony as a replacement for the two cameras. And I will have my 1DX as my go to ace in the hole.

The fact that the Sony is an ILC is irrelevant to me. I do not regret the fixed lens on my X100s. In fact, that is the reason I chose it, over the X-E2 or X-Pro 1. I figured I'd be too tempted to buy into the Fuji system. Of course, I may end up doing so with Sony

I'm just intrigued at the possible of having a full frame, compact camera....

Thanks

-c

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

No. I'd keep the Canon and Fuji.

I'd be inclined to keep just the 5D3 over the a7R, not even including the Fuji gear.

The Canon is part of a fully actualized system, with easily known pluses and minuses -- and the pluses of that system are pretty comprehensive.

The Sony -- not so much and seems to have some issues with high contrast flare and adapters. It's a great idea, but seems not quite there for me, like the NEX cameras.

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:30 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Chriswong1973 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I should elaborate on how I tend to shoot and what I am looking to get out of my systems...

I am strictly a hobbyist, and the vast majority of my shots are FPJ type stuff of my family. I also do a good amount of wildlife (limited to zoo life; I volunteer for my local zoo to shoot stuff for their website, press releases etc). I love my 1DX; for me, it just does everything I need it to do, and does it very well. I currently view my 5DIII as redundant. Full frame, excellent
...Show more

Having played around with an x100s briefly and used an A7 for a couple of events that I have covered I feel like I can contribute some here. The x100s is a great all around camera, the shutter lag isn't a problem and it is highly responsive and just a pleasure to use. While I could manage the A7 and make it work, it in no way is as good an overall camera as the x100s. It is slow to fire, the EVF works well but flickers in crappy lighting, and the viewfinder blackout time is atrocious, the wake from sleep and turn on time are measured in seconds - not milliseconds, and the battery life is worse than a point and shoot. Don't get me wrong, its a flipping amazing sensor crammed into an astonishingly small package at a great price but it is probably worth waiting for the second generation if you plan on using it regularly to take photojournalistic style of photography of children moving around or people in general. I cannot emphasize how much a deal breaker the shutter lag and wake from sleep time are (particularly since the camera is either running the backlights for both displays or asleep - contributing further to the terrible battery life if you don't want to wake from sleep as often). I missed some critical moments because of the wake from sleep delay and shutter lag. I consider that unacceptable for a camera in the day and age of .1 second start times for consumer dSLRs.

I think there is a definitely a market for the A7(r) but it isn't for photographers who enjoy capturing special moments that other people experience.

It isn't even close to a replacement for a 5D2, much less the 5D3.

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:54 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Edit: my last post was a bit harsh. It's actually a decent camera with some pretty significant flaws. Definitely a "try before you buy" affair though.

Dec 27, 2013 at 08:43 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

When I travel with my family and want to bring dslr, I just throw it in the storage net underneath the stroller so I don't have to carry it and just reach down for it when I want to grab a shot, so the whole size issue while traveling never bothered me since it's only in my hands or bearing weight on me when I want to start snapping pictuers. I can see why it would be an issue for others however.

I think you should just keep what you have unless you see a real need to change out for the other camera...which it doesn't really sound like from what you're saying. Then again, that's just my advice. Ultimately it comes down to what you want vs need and only you can decide that.

Dec 27, 2013 at 08:44 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Chriswong1973 wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a 1DX, 5DIII (with a decent collection of L lenses), and a fuji x100s. I love my 1DX, but lately with my fuji, the 5D has been collecting dust. Just got back from a short vacation and for the first time in ages, didn't bring a dslr. It was a pleasure carrying around a small camera like the x100s. I was willing to sacrifice some IQ and overall versatility. I travel with two young kids, so there's the obligatory strollers and diaper bags.

So...the way I see it, there is redundancy with me having both a 1DX
...Show more

I would only go for the A7R if I was also going to commit to the native lenses and use it like a small(er) system. In that case, sure, why not. I would probably buy the A7R and try it out before I started selling off equipment that you know you like.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

If the A7r has DSLR-like AF, and a more versatile AF lens lineup-- it would be a no-brainer.

If the Fujis would go FF, or at least get into the 24mp range with an incremental AF improvement over the X-E2-- also a no brainer.

But what we have now are a number of incredible IQ systems that are small-- but in many ways flawed for people who rely on AF in quick-moving situations (not just sports-- but PJ-type stuff).

I'm shooting a 5d2 and X-E1. I love the X-E1, and I want to get rid of my DSLR... but I just can't do it yet. I love the idea of the RX1 (minus the AF speed), and the A7r (minus the AF + missing, faster primes). We're getting close. The sensors and size are there. The next step is AF and lens availability... I can feel it coming...

Dec 28, 2013 at 06:03 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

I pair a Fujifilm X-E1 and several lenses with a 5DII and a larger set of lenses. Speaking from myself only I would rather have the combination of a very small mirrorless camera and a more capable DSLR system. Each has its pluses and minuses by comparison to the other, so the combination gives me the greatest flexibility. (I travel with the X-E1 system most of the time, but I certainly would not want to shoot wildlife or sports with a mirrorless camera at this point.)

And for most travel photography, the image quality that you can produce from the smaller cropped sensor or four/thirds cameras is excellent, especially since you'll most likely be shooting handheld.

If I were you, I'd probably sit tight and not pursue the Gear Chase just yet.

Dan

Dec 28, 2013 at 08:52 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

I haven't read all the responses but I'll throw in my 2cents and if my situation is similar to yours then it may be valuable to your decision.

I also shoot mostly with the 1DX and 5D3 (with 1D4 as backup). I was 100% gun-ho about the A7r when it was being announced and preorders were up. In the weeks following, I started to seriously anylyze the camera and my thoughts reversed and I decided to hold off and went with a Fuji XE2 instead.

Why?...well the A7r to me had one benefit...it was a D800e in a small package and could mount my Canon lenses....WAIT...I don't want a small body with large lenses.....I've told myself that so many times yet I keep forgetting. I'd rather just buy a D800e and a 14-24 or something. So then I said that I would go A7r and only get the Zeiss 24-70 as a travel kit......WAIT.....36MP does not work ideally for walk around, candid shooting, I probably could make it work but I really don't need the 36MP for my hiking and travel camera. Then the minor nits and niggles started showing up in reviews....nothing too bad but enough that I just decided to hold off on the first round of the Sony FF mirror less and then went and got Fuji instead.

Personally, I'd keep what you have. I think the A7r would be best for people who want to hike out to get stunning, tripod mounted landscapes with adapted tilt/shift Canon (17 or 24) lenses and then could benefit from the 36MP to print large. Other than that, I personally am very bearish on the camera overall. But again, that is for my specific use and yours may differ. Sony has a long history of abandoning products and not fulfilling their promised lens roadmaps so that is another worry for me.

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

arbitrage wrote:
...well the A7r to me had one benefit...it was a D800e in a small package and could mount my Canon lenses....WAIT...I don't want a small body with large lenses.....I've told myself that so many times yet I keep forgetting. I'd rather just buy a D800e and a 14-24 or something. So then I said that I would go A7r and only get the Zeiss 24-70 as a travel kit......WAIT.....36MP does not work ideally for walk around, candid shooting, I probably could make it work but I really don't need the 36MP for my hiking and travel camera. Then the minor
...Show more

Main reason which keeps me currently from buying the A7R is none of the ones you mentioned above. Bummer for me is the adapter issue to mount Canon lenses - especially for TSE lenses there is some visible weakness with them in regard to internal reflections etc. The adapter is by far not worth $399 anyway. I decided to wait and see if new better performing adapters for more reasonable prices pop up. I don't care about any of the Sony lenses. The single use of the A7R would be to mount my existing good Canon lenses on it to get the better sensor performance and maybe to mount some of my older FD lenses. I would love to use the A7R later on in parallel with a potential 5D MkIV as lighter travel camera, too.

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:17 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

arbitrage wrote:
I haven't read all the responses but I'll throw in my 2cents and if my situation is similar to yours then it may be valuable to your decision.

I also shoot mostly with the 1DX and 5D3 (with 1D4 as backup). I was 100% gun-ho about the A7r when it was being announced and preorders were up. In the weeks following, I started to seriously anylyze the camera and my thoughts reversed and I decided to hold off and went with a Fuji XE2 instead.

Why?...well the A7r to me had one benefit...it was a D800e in a small package and could
...Show more

Why didn't you consider the A7? I'm still tempted by one, as well as the X-E2. I'd much rather have a single body/system solution though. If the Sony has launched with fast 35, 85 and 135 lenses I'd most likely be just finishing up selling all my Canon gear now!

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:02 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

jj_glos wrote:
Why didn't you consider the A7? I'm still tempted by one, as well as the X-E2. I'd much rather have a single body/system solution though. If the Sony has launched with fast 35, 85 and 135 lenses I'd most likely be just finishing up selling all my Canon gear now!

I also was 100% sold on the A7(r). I even had it in my Amazon cart several times with the mouse hovering over the checkout button. But, I ended up getting an X-E2 instead. I was interested in the potential to use my existing Canon lenses, but mostly wanted a lighter travel kit as well. Unfortunately, the Sony A7(r) system just does not have the lenses out yet and one has to wait and hope that they will be (a) reasonably prices; (b) sharp with good microcontrast; and (c) as mentioned above, Sony follows through with support for the system.

All of that is present with Fuji right now. I particularly like how diligent thye seem in improving issues behind the scenes and then releasing firmware updates. So why wait?...I purchased an X-E2. Perhaps Sony further down the road.

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:56 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

Good Evening Folks,
It seems like a lot of people are switching over (in part) to the Fuji system. I am one of them. Having been a Canon shooter since the film days (AE-1) I now find myself reaching for my X E-1 and either the 18 2.0 or the 27 2.8 for most of my shots. I also have the 35 1.4, which I use for portraits on occasion. My 5D2 is for sale, as are my 35 2.0, 50 1.8 and Tamron 17-50 2.8 lenses. I still have my 7D along with my 10-22, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, and of course Da Bigma, in case I want to go either ultra wide or ultra telephoto. Remember, on a crop camera, the Bigma (50-500mm) is the equivalent of an 800mm lens on the long end. Not a walk around lens at a little over 4 lbs, but great on a tripod watching eagles, herons or osprey enjoying life It's also great for astronomical photography.
Since the Fuji cameras use an X-Trans sensor, it is less susceptible to color moire, and doesn't need an anti-aliasing filter (think 5D) which results in a more sharper, detailed picture then a typical Bayer sensor. I remember reading somewhere on the Net, that the Fuji 16MP sensor is equivalent to a 20+ MP Bayer sensor in terms of detail. I like the Fuji for the lighter weight/smaller size, retro rangefinder look (mechanical dials) and excellent image quality

Jupiter

Moon

Dec 28, 2013 at 06:21 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Would you guys trade a 5DIII and Fuji x100s for the alpha 7R?

kezeka wrote:
Having played around with an x100s briefly and used an A7 for a couple of events that I have covered I feel like I can contribute some here. The x100s is a great all around camera, the shutter lag isn't a problem and it is highly responsive and just a pleasure to use. While I could manage the A7 and make it work, it in no way is as good an overall camera as the x100s. It is slow to fire, the EVF works well but flickers in crappy lighting, and the viewfinder blackout time is atrocious, the wake from
...Show more

I agree. If you want a versatile small camera, go Olympus E-M1 or keep the Fuji. Resolution is less than the Sony, but overall capability is higher.

Dec 28, 2013 at 07:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.