FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Milky Way

Rohanban
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way

I am in WV and trying to find the milky way in the night sky. Trying to use Stellarium. Can anyone guide me as in how to find the milky way? what star constellations should I be looking at? Scorpius? Cygnus?

I would much appreciate it) Happy Holidays!

Dec 27, 2013 at 01:43 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way

Scorpius is a good guide for roughly where the brightest, most visually interesting part is. The area approximately between Scorpius and Sagittarius is the ideal area to photograph.

Stellarium is also an excellent program to track it with and plan your shoot.

However, as you may have noticed, this isn't quite the right time of year to really shoot the milky way in the northern hemisphere. The best parts are more or less below the horizon by the time the sunsets and the sky gets dark enough.

Unfortunately it won't be in a prime position again until about the end of march/beginning of april.

By the way, I highly recommend some star tracking app on your phone to help you locate it at first while your eyes adjust at the beginning of the night.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:22 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way

Just wait for your eyes to adjust you should be able to see it if its dark enough.

Sadly this time of year , as said, the best part is obscured in our daytime (regardless of hemisphere!).

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:28 AM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way

JakeB17 wrote:
Scorpius is a good guide for roughly where the brightest, most visually interesting part is. The area approximately between Scorpius and Sagittarius is the ideal area to photograph.

Stellarium is also an excellent program to track it with and plan your shoot.

However, as you may have noticed, this isn't quite the right time of year to really shoot the milky way in the northern hemisphere. The best parts are more or less below the horizon by the time the sunsets and the sky gets dark enough.

Unfortunately it won't be in a prime position again until about the end
...Show more

Thanks! Is there a way to directly search for the position of the Milky Way on Stellarium ? or do I have to search by positions of constellations such as Scorpius and Sagittarius as aforementioned ?

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way

Rohanban wrote:
As Rob has suggested, just wait until you can see it in the sky. When ever I have shot it, I have seen it with my eyes, then composed the scene with the camera. Otherwise, just download any of several Star apps for the iphone or other smart phone, you can use that to find it.

Are you not able to see it? Why is it you want to find it based on stars when the Milky Way can be seen by your eyes? If you can't see it visually, odds are you won't be able to capture it that well
...Show more

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way

JimFox wrote:

Hey Jim,

Knowing the star compositions that constitute around the Milky way give me crucial landmarks. With star apps I can use these landmarks to know date, time and direction of the Milky Way on the night sky.

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:29 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way

In stellarium switch to night view or switch atmosphere off, or set date/time to when you want to shoot.

Set the location you need/want

Set sly and viewing options (f4) Markings -> galactic plane on.

Should be about right now.

Dec 27, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Milky Way

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/11598644693_d97afae042_z.jpg

First attempt. too much light pollution. and winter season in the Northern hemisphere.

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.