FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

Best viewed on a black background so that you can see the detail in the shadows. Click on the photo to make that happen.

This photo was taken on Winter Solstice December 21, 2013, one year to the day after I had created my first true landscape image at the same location.

My girlfriend, son, and I made the drive to Cape Kiwanda, OR expecting again to find foul weather and unfavorable photographic conditions.. the same thing we expected a year earlier.

When we arrived, fog and rainy mist resigned my outlook to just being grateful for the trip to the ocean and breaths of coastal air, but closer to sunset the clouds started to part.

With my son in tow, I kept it safer and perched on the edge of this cliff, facing the action instead of being down in the surf.

We were treated to this glorious display of light as the sun ducked behind the clouds.

And then it was gone.

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

I like this shot.

Dec 26, 2013 at 07:58 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

Hey TJ,

Congrats on a year of shooting Landscapes. This is a very cool shot, and a great reminder that one of the really interesting benefits of shooting at the beach is more often than one would think the sun has this uncanny ability to break through thick clouds just as it's about to set... So yeah, don't leave early is my motto!

Jim

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

Very beautiful light and well captured TJ!

Jason

Dec 27, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter Solstice Cape Kiwanda Sunset

Very nice image, TJ. Patience usually pays off.

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.