Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any experiences with Scott Robert Studio/Scott Robert Lim gear?

eric chang
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any experiences with Scott Robert Studio/Scott Robert Lim gear?

Hey guys,

Watched his sessions on CreativeLive, and am intrigued about his cheapie strobes and variable ND filter.

Does anyone have any experiences (positive or otherwise) with his gear? I figure it's worth considering over a $200 Lumopro LP180 for extra lights...

thanks!

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM
tuanvo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any experiences with Scott Robert Studio/Scott Robert Lim gear?

I attended one of his workshops. He is a very knowledgeable guy photography-wise, but also a very slick salesman. His equipment is targeted towards newbies who don't know any better and rely on his world-class photographer status as a sign of trustworthiness. His speedlights, transmitters, and receivers have less features than Yongnuo models, but cost 3-5 times as much. I have a hunch that they are just rebranded no-name Chinese electronics.

For example, his kit of one transmitter and two receivers cost $230 while Yongnuo's kit of two transceivers cost $30. One of his Strobies cost $140 when you can get a Yongnuo speedlight with more features for less than half of his price.

He pitches that the lack of features is what makes his speedlights better than his competitors' models, claiming that it's less features and buttons to fumble around with during a live shoot.

Dec 26, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any experiences with Scott Robert Studio/Scott Robert Lim gear?

Looked into his products. They look really crappy. You will end up buying something else later for sure. You know the saying, buy right or buy twice.

Dec 27, 2013 at 08:07 AM
eric chang
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any experiences with Scott Robert Studio/Scott Robert Lim gear?

Guess I should get the pretty much universally liked Lumopro LP180s then. (My old LP120s are finally dying after about 3 wedding seasons with drops and manhandling).

awesome advice guys.. thanks!

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.