FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · getting serious about raptors

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · getting serious about raptors

I really enjoy chasing hawks and other raptors in my area. They are VERY difficult to get close to and my measly little 70-200mm with a 1.7tc just doesn't cut it. Unfortunately, there is NO way I can afford to get a super tele.

I'm thinking about getting a pop-up turkey hunting blind and setting up in an area where I know some hawks hang out.

Have any of you taken this approach? Is it valid or am I barking up the wrong tree?

B

Dec 25, 2013 at 06:21 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · getting serious about raptors

bump.anybody?

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · getting serious about raptors

Using a blind is an effective way to get a closer view of the wildlife. It helps if you have scouted the area out and identified any patterns in the raptors' behavior, such as times when they fly over a certain area or where they perch/bathe/hunt, etc. Set the blind up in a way that creates the best light angles in relation to where you expect the birds to be. If you are able to leave the blind up at all times, it will help the birds become accustomed to it as if it was just part of the landscape. Keep in mind, though, that you want to enter and exit when the birds are not present so that they do not associate the blind with human presence. Oh, and be prepared to wait

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:50 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · getting serious about raptors

What I do:

Pattern them, the next time you see one don't stop or try to get close and wait and see where he goes and when he goes. After he has left go back close to where he was and try to find some cover close by bushes or . The next day go back earlier than the day you saw him and wait and see if he shows up again. If he does show up again you now are starting to pattern him. When he leaves this time follow him with binoculars and do the same thing with his next stop.

I have learned over many, many years that if you do your homework on your subjects you will get many more opportunities.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Wacky roger

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:22 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · getting serious about raptors

thehotel wrote:
What I do:

Pattern them, the next time you see one don't stop or try to get close and wait and see where he goes and when he goes. After he has left go back close to where he was and try to find some cover close by bushes or . The next day go back earlier than the day you saw him and wait and see if he shows up again. If he does show up again you now are starting to pattern him. When he leaves this time follow him with binoculars and do the same thing with his
...Show more

I agree with Roger. Check my tip on stalking:
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/StalkingWildlife.html

Also, stay relaxed. I you are tense the birds will read this and think you are hunting them.

Morris

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · getting serious about raptors

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013957-REG/tamron_a011_n_sp_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:49 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · getting serious about raptors

Imagemaster, I would love to see some samples from that lens at 600mm.

B

Dec 26, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · getting serious about raptors

blutch wrote:
Imagemaster, I would love to see some samples from that lens at 600mm.

Well you will have to wait until a few people get one.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · getting serious about raptors

ah... i see it is brand new.. sorry.. I didn't notice that at first!

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.