Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

lara_ckl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

hlavo wrote:
+1, except that the new camera was spotted in Sendai, where Nikon produces their consumer cameras.

Nope. Sendai is where they produce their pro bodies.

Dec 27, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Kyyo24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

If they were planning on releasing it before the Olympics, which is in 5 weeks, how has it not been atleast leaked or anything

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:08 AM
sb in ak
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Kyyo24 wrote:
If they were planning on releasing it before the Olympics, which is in 5 weeks, how has it not been atleast leaked or anything

Yeah, doesn't seem like much time. So my money is on a D4x high res body.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:19 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

From Nikon Rumors:

"A new D4-like body is rumored to be already in production in Sendai. The Df production was apparently halted for two months, so they can "push" this new product before the Olympics."

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Keep in mind that the rumor at the link says NPS Japan is no longer taking orders for D4 bodies. IF that is true, then it can only be a D4s. They aren't going to discontinue the D4 by replacing it with a DX body or a "x" variant body. If the rumor is true, it's a D4s.

Here's the rumor at that link:

Dec 27, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

A D4s makes no sense right now ... not when a D4X and a D400 and a D800h are all in dire need and make far more sense ... a D4s makes about as much sense as a D610 ...

Dec 27, 2013 at 05:46 AM
james.d53
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

http://thenewcamera.com/nikon-new-flagship-camera-coming-soon-rumor/

More rumors!

Dec 27, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Andre Labonte wrote:
A D4s makes no sense right now ... not when a D4X and a D400 and a D800h are all in dire need and make far more sense ... a D4s makes about as much sense as a D610 ...

That's funny.... actually expecting any sense from Nikon!

Dec 27, 2013 at 06:51 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

They could replace it with an X if they intended to consolidate the line. The D3x is the "high megapixel" pro body at 24.5 MP. That's roughly the same as the D610. I think that they could build a new pro body based off the D610's sensor and there would be no need for a split lineup. They could make another high MP pro body but I don't know if that's really necessary anymore with the D800 in the lineup - which wasn't around when you had the S/X lineup at the top. I think a D4 body with a 24.3 MP sensor would be a good blend and it would beat the 1DX in terns of resolution. I think that it would be a good low light performer but they may not focus on making it the "king" and instead let the Df have that distinction since they can justify having fewer MP in a retro body and that's getting harder to do in the pro line - though I think the new body would still be a little better than the D610 since they could make improvements to the sensor.

Anyway that's just my opinion and it's fun to speculate. I guess we'll find out next month!

Steve Perry wrote:
Keep in mind that the rumor at the link says NPS Japan is no longer taking orders for D4 bodies. IF that is true, then it can only be a D4s. They aren't going to discontinue the D4 by replacing it with a DX body or a "x" variant body. If the rumor is true, it's a D4s.

Here's the rumor at that link:

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Gaylon Holmes wrote:
That's funny.... actually expecting any sense from Nikon!

Agreed. I was stating what would make sense, not what Nikon would do ... they have often missed the mark when it come to what would make sense.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Perry
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Andre Labonte wrote:

Despite what the rumor seems to indicate, I couldn't agree with you more. A D4x, historically, should be the next body. Then, a year from now, an "s" variant. But Nikon seems to have taken a more "shotgun" approach lately and it makes future planning for great nearly impossible. Maybe Nikon is just running short on D4 bodies and that's why they're not taking orders (as the link above postulates)

I do hope the kwhaley29's comment above about consolidating the line isn't accurate. I personally think Nikon has a good setup with a fast camera and a pro body high res camera. An "x" variant at 24 MP at current D4 speeds would be great, but anyone who was waiting for a D4x at 36+MP would not bite. Still, I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

If I had a wish list, it would be a high res D4x (54MP) and a 24MP D4s. That would settle me on equipment for quite awhile.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Waki
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Nikon has used their own sensors in their pro bodies. Not Sony sensors. To expect the "D610" sensor in a pro body just won't happen based on history. I'm just sayin....
The other rumor is a Nikon made 36 MP with tweaks and performance beyond the Sony based D800. This morning that was speculated to be the D4x. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
I'd be happy with a D4x that was at least 24 MP but more importantly could handle high ISO with DR performance to match across the chart.

Dec 27, 2013 at 03:01 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Waki wrote:
Nikon has used their own sensors in their pro bodies. Not Sony sensors. To expect the "D610" sensor in a pro body just won't happen based on history. I'm just sayin....
The other rumor is a Nikon made 36 MP with tweaks and performance beyond the Sony based D800. This morning that was speculated to be the D4x. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
I'd be happy with a D4x that was at least 24 MP but more importantly could handle high ISO with DR performance to match across the chart.

But if everything happened "based on history" the current lineup would look a heck of a lot different right now. As Steve pointed out they've been taking a shotgun approach lately so anything is possible and that's part of the fun in trying to guess what's going to happen.

Dec 27, 2013 at 03:06 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Maybe a Dfv2 (or is it Df10, or is it Dfx)? A 24MP tweaked version of the Df. Say, removable focusing screen, dual cards (SD and QXD), a new battery and 12 pin remote.

Your temporary troll.

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:18 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

A 24MP camera with no AA filter, D4 FPS and buffer capacity? I might bite

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Kyyo24
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Hopefully it is a d4s...which will lower the d4 price, then ill finally be able to afford a d3s lol

Dec 27, 2013 at 06:22 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Waki wrote:

The D2X(s) and D3X both featured Sony sensors (well, the D2X's sensor was a Nikon/Sony co-development with a variant also used in the Sony DMC-R1 cut down to 10MP and 1.7x crop. The wildly popular 12MP Sony APS-C sensor was a development of that design).

No sensor will be Nikon-made, as Nikon lacks any Fab capacity. They may be Nikon-designed (as the 12MP and 16MP FX sensors are).

Most likely a D4X would feature a Nikon-specific variant of a Sony sensor while a D4s would feature an evolved 16MP part designed by Nikon and fabbed by someone else.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Waki
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Well according to Hogan and the Nikon web site, they are "Nikon " sensors. The D700 also featured a non Sony sensor.

Edit:
I pasted this off an older post from Nikon Rumors:

"Chipworks has a new report online for the Nikon D4 and the 16.2MP FX CMOS sensor inside (NC81366W) is made by Nikon. Similar to the D3, D3s, D700 and D3100, the sensor inside the D3200 was also made by Nikon. The D7000 did use a Sony sensor.

Few months ago there were some rumors that Aptina is developing a new full frame CMOS sensor for Nikon."

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/22/the-sensor-inside-the-d4-is-made-by-nikon.aspx/#ixzz2oioncyU0

Edited on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Kyyo24 wrote:

Is it really worth releasing a new camera so close to the Olympics? Are pros going to buy 2 weeks before and risk using new kit?

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Andre Labonte wrote:

You are basing your argument on logic. Silly billy.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password