Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Kyyo24
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Why would anyone think a d400 is coming? If anything it would be a d4s/x. They wouldn't stop an fx camera to release a dx...

Dec 26, 2013 at 01:21 AM
traylorc
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

MazeRunner wrote:
The discontinuation of the D4 sales in Japan point to a FX successor. But the thing is, how many people can afford to buy a D4S/X or D5? They make cameras to make money, as they are ultimately a business.

The same folks who could afford to buy a D4 will likely by the consumers who line up for a D4s, D4x, or D5.

Manufacturers can still make money selling high end premium products as longs those sales are supplemented with other product lines.

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:30 AM
evan47
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

d3300

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:10 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

traylorc wrote:
The same folks who could afford to buy a D4 will likely by the consumers who line up for a D4s, D4x, or D5.

Manufacturers can still make money selling high end premium products as longs those sales are supplemented with other product lines.

Right, but in terms of just pure numbers, easier to sell a cheaper DSLR to mass consumers than a real high-end one that maybe 1/30th the number buy. Then again, with the D5300 and D7100, most of the DX needs are met aside from the higher buffer.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:21 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Nikon and Canon could sell a lot more of the flagship bodies if they lowered the prices to reasonable levels. Their profit margins would be lower but they would sell greater quantities.

Dec 26, 2013 at 08:10 AM
jsv_20
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

kwhaley29 wrote:
Nikon and Canon could sell a lot more of the flagship bodies if they lowered the prices to reasonable levels. Their profit margins would be lower but they would sell greater quantities.

This is true. If they sold the D4 for $3000 they would be sold out for months! At that price I would buy two of them.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

kwhaley29 wrote:

I'm sure if they thought it profitable, they'd do it. High end bodies cost a lot more to make. If they were to sell more D4s at a lower price, who would buy them? Presumably mostly those who would have bought a D800. So they would sell less D800's and make less profit selling someone a D4 instead of a D800.

And I suspect the D4 is relatively price insensitive. It is a high end tool. Although wealthy amateurs might buy one, most sales will be to pros who need the performance in order to make a living. £4,000 is not so much for a tool, and the 20% VAT (tax) can be claimed back as a business expense. A D600 is far more price sensitive.

And would they sell many more? I might have bought a D800, but a D4 is too big, too heavy, and quite unsuitable for me.

I'm not saying they have got it right, but there is a reason for their model range and pricing.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

LeifG wrote:
I'm sure if they thought it profitable, they'd do it. High end bodies cost a lot more to make. If they were to sell more D4s at a lower price, who would buy them? Presumably mostly those who would have bought a D800. So they would sell less D800's and make less profit selling someone a D4 instead of a D800.

And I suspect the D4 is relatively price insensitive. It is a high end tool. Although wealthy amateurs might buy one, most sales will be to pros who need the performance in order to make a living. £4,000 is
...Show more

Exactly,

They pay someone who spent a long time in school a lot of money to make fancy models of sales that take into account the sales of every model they sell to make sure they maximize profits. Their pricing is probably a lot closer to the pricing that would maximize their profits than anything you or me could come up with.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

D4s.
Bragging rights at the Olympics.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

LeifG wrote:

And I suspect the D4 is relatively price insensitive. It is a high end tool. Although wealthy amateurs might buy one, most sales will be to pros who need the performance in order to make a living. £4,000 is
...Show more

I agree that the price is of the D4 is fairly price insensitive and I think that's by design. I said that they "could" sell a lot more units if they wanted to by lowering the price but I don't think that they have any interest in that strategy. The reason that I used the phrase "reasonable price" is because once the D700 was released I think a lot of buyers realized that after a certain price point "performance" starts to experience some pretty rapid diminishing returns.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

BenV wrote:
this man is using his head.

That's my guess too

+10
They need a new pro flagship body. Resolution cannot be too high, it will all be about speed. My bet is a 24MP D4S with high ISO and fps on par with D4 or a 16MP with better high iso performance.
And as far as I am concerned, I hope they will forget XQD for ever, and move back to something serious with a future, like CF and their recent improvements.

Guy

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

gugs wrote:
+10
They need a new pro flagship body. Resolution cannot be too high, it will all be about speed. My bet is a 24MP D4S with high ISO and fps on par with D4 or a 16MP with better high iso performance.
And as far as I am concerned, I hope they will forget XQD for ever, and move back to something serious with a future, like CF and their recent improvements.

Guy

I know hey usually don't up the MP count on the "s" variant, but man, if they did go to 24MP and kept the performance level at or better than the current D4, I'd sell mine and upgrade. I'd still want the "x" variant, but a 24MP high speed camera would be incredible. I'm kind of guessing we'll see it kept at 16MP though, but hey, who knows.

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:20 PM
hlavo
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

mawz wrote:
Olympics is not far off, I'd bet on a D4s.

+1, except that the new camera was spotted in Sendai, where Nikon produces their consumer cameras.

Possibly a DX Pro body (sport shooters, some at least,) would love this for the Olympics and a contest to send an amateur or semi-pro to shoot the Olympics with the new camera (which is what the contest announcements seem to suggest) would be icing on the cake.

BTW, an argument for a Pro DX body that I haven't seen elsewhere: it would eliminate the 3rd party vendors who have been eating Nikon alive in making battery/grips.

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:26 PM
hlavo
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

jsv_20 wrote:
This is true. If they sold the D4 for $3000 they would be sold out for months! At that price I would buy two of them.

Of course, but at that price they would go broke.

A DX Pro body, on the other hand......

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:30 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

hlavo wrote:
+1, except that the new camera was spotted in Sendai, where Nikon produces their consumer cameras.

Possibly a DX Pro body (sport shooters, some at least,) would love this for the Olympics and a contest to send an amateur or semi-pro to shoot the Olympics with the new camera (which is what the contest announcements seem to suggest) would be icing on the cake.

BTW, an argument for a Pro DX body that I haven't seen elsewhere: it would eliminate the 3rd party vendors who have been eating Nikon alive in making battery/grips.

Frankly, I'm expecting two cameras. One is the D3300, announced at an upcoming consumer electronics show, the other is the D4s, announced shortly afterwards for the Olympics.

D400/D9000, if it comes, will almost assuredly be a summer announcement. No way Nikon would announce a non-pro body for the Olympics (and remember that by Nikon standards the last Pro DX body was the D2Xs)

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:39 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Avantia wrote:
You're damn right.

The possibility to EASILY change the focus screen would actually be awesome. But if the Df doesnt have this, no Nikon body will.

Don't bet your bippie on that

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:41 PM
hlavo
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

mawz wrote:
Frankly, I'm expecting two cameras. One is the D3300, announced at an upcoming consumer electronics show, the other is the D4s, announced shortly afterwards for the Olympics.

D400/D9000, if it comes, will almost assuredly be a summer announcement. No way Nikon would announce a non-pro body for the Olympics (and remember that by Nikon standards the last Pro DX body was the D2Xs)

I understand that, but it is possible that the reaction to the "missing" D400 and the continued attractiveness of the older DX machines may have caused Nikon to reconsider and add a new DX Pro with modern sensor and amenities back into the lineup instead of the D400 as we generally envision it. What it would be called I have no idea.

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:10 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

I understand that, but it is possible that the reaction to the "missing" D400 and the continued attractiveness of the older DX machines may have caused Nikon to reconsider and add a new DX Pro with modern sensor and amenities back into the lineup instead of the D400 as we generally envision it. What it would be called I have no idea.

Simply put, no.

Nikon has shown that it's increasingly unwilling to put any effort into the DX line above the D5x00 level. Hence the fact there are only 4 DX primes, 2 of which are macros (and neither is particularly needed for any reason beyond being cheaper than the FX version) and 3 of which are essentially consumer lenses (all but the 10.5 Fisheye), and the reason why both DX 'Pro' zooms are getting extremely long in the tooth, as is the only semi-pro DX zoom (the 16-85). In return we've seen multiple near-worthless updates and additions to the consumer DX zoom range.

frankly, although I see a market for the D400/D9000, I don't expect to ever see it and to some extent wonder just how long the D7x00 line will stick around given that the D7x00 shooter is dependent on mixing FX lenses and 3rd party lenses to put together a good shooting kit. There's just not a good selection of Nikon lenses for the D7100, particularly on the wide end. Frankly I think the D7x00 line would be already dead if it didn't share electronics with the D5x00 line and body engineering with the D6x0 line.

If Nikon wants to introduce a pro or even semi-pro DX body above the D7100, it needs to replace the 12-24/4, the 17-55/2.8 and the 16-85VR and launch at a minimum a fastish 24 and 1-2 DX primes in between 10 and 20mm. Otherwise it's simply going to be selling Sigma & Samyang lenses.

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:19 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

Just for fun...my prediction is that we'll see a D610 on steroids and it will be called the D4x.

Dec 26, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D400 or D4 successor?

kwhaley29 wrote:
Just for fun...my prediction is that we'll see a D610 on steroids and it will be called the D4x.

Give me a D610 w/ AF points spread out across the frame and, as much as I'd like the D800 ergonomics better, I'll buy 2 to replace my D700's.

Dec 26, 2013 at 07:52 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.