FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX dilemma

mrcolin2u
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX dilemma

For all you bird photographers using the 1DX. I'm considering upgrading my 1DM3 for a 1DM4 or 1DX.
I hear nothing but praise for the 1DX however I do wonder if I would miss the extra apparent reach of a 1.3 crop camera.
Thank you in advance and Merry Xmas

Dec 25, 2013 at 02:59 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX dilemma

Personally I don't see it as an issue. A full frame camera has the same final clarity as any crop camera if you enlarge the images to the same size. The end result is the same! IMO. Don

Dec 25, 2013 at 05:18 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX dilemma

I would say...go for the MKIV...and use the remaining money to upgrade glass

unless you already have the glass......THEN GO FOR IT!!!! (the 1DX)

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:16 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX dilemma

onesickpuppy wrote:
I would say...go for the MKIV...and use the remaining money to upgrade glass

unless you already have the glass......THEN GO FOR IT!!!! (the 1DX)

I had a Mark IV that I sold a couple of years ago. I have considered getting another. It's the effective loss of reach that I'm questioning. I'm using a 300mm 2.8 IS + X2TC and at times it still doesn't seem long enough.
I would probably go with a 500 or 600mm and keep the 300mm. I've sold equipment in the past I've regretted.
Thanks for the input

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:25 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX dilemma

I got my 1DX 6 days ago. So far I am impressed and amazed. I will know tomorrow as I head out to photography eagles for the next 4 days. I might add, I stepped up from a gripped 7D.

I'll be doing a review of the 1DX over on my blog once I have had more time with it in the field.

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:43 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX dilemma

BNJarrett wrote:
I got my 1DX 6 days ago. So far I am impressed and amazed. I will know tomorrow as I head out to photography eagles for the next 4 days. I might add, I stepped up from a gripped 7D.

I'll be doing a review of the 1DX over on my blog once I have had more time with it in the field.

Could you send me a link to your blog with your review ?
Cheers
Colin

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX dilemma

I believe his blog is here: http://www.photosbyjarrett.blogspot.com

Dec 25, 2013 at 08:22 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX dilemma

Kenneth Farver wrote:
I believe his blog is here: http://www.photosbyjarrett.blogspot.com

Thanks

Dec 25, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX dilemma

I do wonder if I would miss the extra apparent reach of a 1.3 crop camera I haven't.

I have been shooting with the 1dx since it was released, I have close to 200,000 shots on mine for what that is worth. I still have my 1d mk4 but the 1dx is always my go to body. When you compare the files there is not any reach advantage to using the mk4, there may actually be disadvantages to the file quality. The only disadvantage I see to the 1dx over the mk4 is that it is slightly heavier. Other than that it clearly out performs the mk4 in every measure. Is it worth the extra $$ over the mk4? That is entirely up to the individual.

Tim

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX dilemma

Pick up another 1D4 and maybe try this lens if reviews are good:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013957-REG/tamron_a011_n_sp_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

For the price difference, going to a 1DX did not impress me that much.

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX dilemma

Tim Kuhn wrote:
I do wonder if I would miss the extra apparent reach of a 1.3 crop camera I haven't.

I have been shooting with the 1dx since it was released, I have close to 200,000 shots on mine for what that is worth. I still have my 1d mk4 but the 1dx is always my go to body. When you compare the files there is not any reach advantage to using the mk4, there may actually be disadvantages to the file quality. The only disadvantage I see to the 1dx over the mk4 is that it is slightly heavier. Other
...Show more

Tim has outlined my thoughts exactly. I also own 1D4 and 1DX and everything Tim says is spot on IMHO.
Tony will disagree as he has above. Sometimes it is worth the rental fee for these high $$ items to try before you buy.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:34 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX dilemma

^^^
Good idea, I am planning on selling one of my MkIV's & 1Ds3 to buy a 1Dx. I will call CPS and arrange a loaner for the 1Dx first...
Thanks for the idea...

Dec 27, 2013 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.