Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Got this lens sold and shipped from Amazon.

The lens arrived in this box with NO paperwork, the new front pinch cap, and fingerprints all over the front element. No bag around the lens and the box looks like its been worn quite a bit.

Grey Market? Counterfeit box? Not sure what to think - either way its going back to Amazon and being replaced since there is no warranty information.

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:58 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

I can't for the life figure out why FM hates my iPhone images. They are perfect in every other software but are ALWAYS sideways on FM...

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

I would guess they sent you a returned item. Send it back for sure.

Dec 24, 2013 at 04:08 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

I have already initiated it and they are sending a replacement that should be in on Thursday. But my main wondering is if the box is Canon Japan or counterfeit?

Dec 24, 2013 at 04:14 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Canon's "new" box style . . . just different not counterfeit :-)

Dec 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

codyconway wrote:
Canon's "new" box style . . . just different not counterfeit :-)

Not sure I have ever seen it before. In the research I have done there is no change in boxing.

I did however see that the 11-22 EOSM lens is in an identical box as a asian only release.

Dec 24, 2013 at 04:36 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

They might have just have sent you something accidentally from the Amazon Warehouse. It's Amazon.com's division that sells the goods that have been returned to them.

Dec 24, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Sh!t happens. Probably a new employee or somebody working a double shift. Of the hundreds of items I bought from Amazon, only two suffered the same problem as the OP: sent me a well used return. I got a ruffled Billingham bag with a pizza receipt in the pocket (!) and a Sunwayfoto clamp so scratched somebody had to have used it a 1000 times. Both times they immediately shipped the replacement via 2nd day air. I've never know Amazon to carry gray market but many of their MarketPlace venders sell both gray and split kits.

Dec 24, 2013 at 05:30 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Personally I would have tried out the lens. If it is tack sharp and has no other signs of use other than fingerprints, I would have kept the lens. You could get a dud of a lens nicely wrapped in a brand new box.

Dec 24, 2013 at 05:44 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

I've seen this "new box" design for the newest lenses. I bought a 50 1.4 and 50 1.8 and both of them have the newer design boxes. Came with everything including the USA warranty card. One was from Amazon, the other from B&H.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/11538748893_a23e0b3caf_o.jpg

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:21 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Good to know!

Must be a really new thing for the new box design.

I totally would have kept it but there is no warranty card. So to Amazon back it goes!

Binh Ly wrote:
I've seen this "new box" design for the newest lenses. I bought a 50 1.4 and 50 1.8 and both of them have the newer design boxes. Came with everything including the USA warranty card. One was from Amazon, the other from B&H.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/11538748893_a23e0b3caf_o.jpg

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

The warranty card is to sell your info to telemarketers. It will not get you warranty service, only a sales receipt from an approved Canon dealer will do that.

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:41 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Have used Amazon a lot and doubt very much they would send you a counterfeit item. Amazon I would rate as probably the most reliable and easiest to deal with mail order supplier in the world that I have dealt with. As for the fingerprints and a ruffled up box it does seem like a returned item. This can happen but should not be too much of a worry. Main thing is as chez says if the lens is good then you should probably keep it. Also most Warranties these days are registered online and determined by on purchase receipt.

Dec 27, 2013 at 01:55 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Andrew J wrote:
The warranty card is to sell your info to telemarketers. It will not get you warranty service, only a sales receipt from an approved Canon dealer will do that.

^^ this. You didn't even try the lense out??

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:40 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Especially during the busy Holiday time packages get sent back from customers. Normally Amazon does not resell an already sold new item like this lens to someone else other than in the used market (Amazon Warehouse) section. But it sounds like that this might have happened - likely a mistake happened and this box was sorted back into the Amazon "new item" system wrongly.

If you ordered it as new and paid the full price for the lens, I would also not accept it. I would call Amazon and either ask for a very decent discount on the received item or send it back and get a new one.

Dec 27, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Bill Ley
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

My lenses all came with warranty cards, and they all are still in the boxes. I registered all my lenses on the Canon website. Isn't that all that is needed?

Dec 27, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

Yes Bill, that is all that's needed. Well, actually, that is not even needed. As someone above said the warranty card is just to collect information on you for further marketing efforts. By law a warranty must be honored whether you send in any warranty card or even register it. You can provided the receipt at the time warranty work is needed. But you do need the receipt to show date of purchase and ownership.

Dec 27, 2013 at 09:57 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Grey Market from Amazon?

I used the lens for a couple of days and decided to send it back. With the amount of buying and selling I do I feel like the papers and such would help resale value - especially if I claim it as an in warranty lens. Not a huge deal but I guess I feel as if I pay for a new lens I should actually get a new lens and not one that has been used for a few weeks that is missing all of the packaging materials. I'm not in a rush to get it so it's of no consequence to me because Amazon is covering the return shipping and the shipping of the replacement.

Ironically the lens did have a wobble inside of it, so I am going to compare them and see if it was normal or just off...

Dec 27, 2013 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.