FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

kwoodard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

^^^^^ Great questions. Would love to know this as well.

Jan 09, 2014 at 06:15 PM
Adam Strochak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

Wonderful photos, Lisa. Thanks for sharing and best wishes for the new year!

Jan 09, 2014 at 09:04 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

nextelbuddy wrote:
Lisa I know I have asked this question before as well. your work is amazing and I love all of your images. I truly get inspired looking at them but as a photographer the desire to understand the BTS of your images is always there.

I know you say most of your imagery is natural light yet almost all of your images have beautiful strong catch lights in the eyes and the skin tones and faces are always filled in as if you are using fill light such as reflectors or strobes.

Many catch lights and fill light looks can be achieved
...Show more

Thank you for your kind words! To answer your questions, I'm always on the lookout for good pockets of light. Having open pockets of light/sky directly behind me (or even better, off to one side and behind me for directional lighting) will create beautiful catchlights with no need to add anything in Photoshop. I've never added fake catchlights in Photoshop so they are all real. If I am in an area shooting and the light/catchlights just aren't there, we reposition or move completely. I won't shoot in bad light. I very rarely use a reflector either so good light is crucial to my style. I do enhance the existing lighting in post processing but I don't create light that isn't there. I will brighten highlighted areas and sometimes darken shadows also for a more dramatic look but that's about it.

Jan 10, 2014 at 03:02 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

Just seeing now and I have to say, incredibly inspiring stuff. Congratulations on such a successful year. Best in 2014.

Matt

Jan 10, 2014 at 02:33 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
Thank you for your kind words! To answer your questions, I'm always on the lookout for good pockets of light. Having open pockets of light/sky directly behind me (or even better, off to one side and behind me for directional lighting) will create beautiful catchlights with no need to add anything in Photoshop. I've never added fake catchlights in Photoshop so they are all real. If I am in an area shooting and the light/catchlights just aren't there, we reposition or move completely. I won't shoot in bad light. I very rarely use a reflector either so good light is
...Show more

What percentage of your delivered image would you say are close to SOOC?

I think what grabs me most about your images besides the great light and creativeness in them would have to be how you are able to consistently replicate such neutral flesh tones while saturating everything else around your subject making your colors pop. every persons flesh tones look the same almost.

Do you take a custom white balance every session? or do you just shoot in auto WB with raw and grab a white point?

I myself can never manage to get flesh tones that neutral and natural looking in camera even with a proper custom WB and a proper exposure in my histogram so i'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to replicate those flesh tones lol

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:04 AM
Jeff_ca

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

You are just outstanding, I always directly go to your post when i am in FM forum, Congratulations.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:08 PM
ThreeStone

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

Once again, WOW.

Jan 13, 2014 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Enkuero
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

WAOOO, im having a baby and you dont understand how much i would like to take pictures like that, they are very nice

Jan 13, 2014 at 07:22 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

nextelbuddy wrote:
What percentage of your delivered image would you say are close to SOOC?

I think what grabs me most about your images besides the great light and creativeness in them would have to be how you are able to consistently replicate such neutral flesh tones while saturating everything else around your subject making your colors pop. every persons flesh tones look the same almost.

Do you take a custom white balance every session? or do you just shoot in auto WB with raw and grab a white point?

I myself can never manage to get flesh tones that neutral and natural looking in
...Show more

Thank you again everyone for the kind words! I do not do a custom white balance unless I'm shooting a newborn indoors. I move around so often and the lighting situations are constantly changing so I've trained my eyes pretty well to 'see' good color. Using the white balance selector in your raw editor to click on something white in the photo or something grey can usually give you a decent start in getting nice color. I will do that if I can and tweak from there. I do use adjustment layers in PS and masking to separate my subject from the background - so many of my adjustments may only effect background/clothing/hair (sometimes). Other than white balance/color, my images don't generally stray too far from the SOOC. I'm definitely more of a clean editor in general.

Jan 13, 2014 at 09:27 PM
AndyTruong

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

What a terrific work of art! Really enjoy going through every photo of yours. Thank you, Lisa.

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:55 AM
gempixel
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

This is amazing, so many masterpieces in just a year! Thats like a life long review for some people. Your a master of your craft!

Jan 21, 2014 at 03:18 AM
jboucher50
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

WoW! these are stunning. Inspiring really. Wish I could take photos like that!! thanks for sharing.

Jan 22, 2014 at 02:21 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · My 2013 in Review {LONG}

You can't post too many when they look that good!!!!!
I enjoyed every minute looking,
Greg

Jan 23, 2014 at 04:15 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password