Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Jeffrey-inspired

DonH
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Jeffrey-inspired

Jeffrey produced a prize-winning color shot of a tree branch that he found on the slickrock of Zion. That image has always stayed with me. When I saw the remains of this bush (sage?) in Valley of Fire, nestled in a small sandstone bowl, that image was the first thing that I thought of. Unlike Jeffrey's prize-winner, I think that this works best as a black and white. The black spots on the sand are not lichen but are the result of rain.

Shortly after I took this shot the heavens opened up. It rained so hard that, from the visitor's center, I saw a very tall waterfall - a bit strange for this location. We were told by the ranger that if we wanted to leave to do so immediately as he was about to close the park because of the flash floods. The flooded road just outside the visitor's center was incentive enough to leave.

Dec 24, 2013 at 07:42 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Jeffrey-inspired

Don, this is simply incredible! Love it in every way! Print, hang, indulge!

Dec 24, 2013 at 07:47 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #3 · Jeffrey-inspired

I'll second Scott's remarks. Very well seen and captured. B&W was a great choice here.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Jeffrey-inspired

Don, I'm honored to be associated with such a fine piece of work. This is a fabulous composition and the tonalities are spot on. Great find! I hope you were as excited as I was to happen upon your subject.

Dec 24, 2013 at 05:10 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Jeffrey-inspired

I'm glad that you like it, Jeffrey, and, yes, I was definitely excited to find it.

I would have liked to have had the time to "work it" but didn't as it was beginning to rain. My gear was back in my distant car so I felt that I would only have one chance to capture it handheld with whatever lens was on my camera. As chance would have it that was my 15mm. I suspect that I was dancing around it like you did with that rattler on House Rock when you, too, only had a wide angle lens. Ahh, good times.

Happy Holidays, my friend.

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:13 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Jeffrey-inspired

Scott wrote: Don, this is simply incredible! Love it in every way! Print, hang, indulge!

Thanks, Scott. I must confess that I love it, as well. Just a simple bush but sometimes that's all that is needed.

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:16 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Jeffrey-inspired

Eric wrote: I'll second Scott's remarks. Very well seen and captured. B&W was a great choice here.

I'm glad that you like it, Eric. The color version is nice, as well, but sometimes color just masks the emotion of the scene as I felt it did here.

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:18 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #8 · Jeffrey-inspired

Great photo. I love how the tree mimics the curvature of the rocks. Too bad mother nature didn't allow you to explore the scene fully but better safe than sorry. You can away with a winner though.

Jason

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Jeffrey-inspired

astro-ep wrote:
I'll second Scott's remarks. Very well seen and captured. B&W was a great choice here.

Thanks for sharing,

Eric

I third that motion...incredable!
Dan

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Jeffrey-inspired

Hey Don,

It's always great to be able to inspired by others. Nice job on capturing this and I really like the B&W conversion.

Jim

Dec 25, 2013 at 04:43 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Jeffrey-inspired

Jason wrote: Great photo. I love how the tree mimics the curvature of the rocks. Too bad mother nature didn't allow you to explore the scene fully but better safe than sorry. You can away with a winner though.

I like that curvature, as well. As for being driven away prematurely, I certainly would have tried other lenses if I had time but, composition-wise, this is what I would have ended up with.

Dan wrote: I third that motion...incredable!

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it.

Jim wrote: It's always great to be able to inspired by others. Nice job on capturing this and I really like the B&W conversion.

When I see an effective shot I try to file away the vision. I think that it is one way of expanding what you look for while in the field. I never expected to find this nor did I go looking for it. But when I saw it the vision of Jeffrey's work came to mind. I'm glad that you like it.

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:17 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Jeffrey-inspired

dizzying and stunning. well done

Dec 26, 2013 at 06:58 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Jeffrey-inspired

Terrific shot Don.
Harsha

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:05 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Jeffrey-inspired

A very dynamic, creative and artful image, Don.

Bob

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:12 PM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Jeffrey-inspired

Very nice tones and exposure Don.

--Gordon

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password