New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Black Seamless Problem

316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Black Seamless Problem

A recessed face soft box with fabric grid would help a lot in confined space. That will control spill and keep the light only where you want it. The large source you're using is overkill in that situation and is scattering light too much. And as others have said, increasing the distance of subject from background would be further help, if possible. Black foam core can be your best friend too, allowing you to flag off light from the large source.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:15 PM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Black Seamless Problem

I'm not sure what a "recessed face" soft box is. I also don't know how to position the flag to control this light from getting to the background, but still staying out of the frame. Can you give me a specific recommendation there?

I really like the light this PLM throws, but it is rather large. I also have a large buff softbox that might control it better. It is still a large modifier, but not as huge as the 7' plm.

Tanks!

B

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:22 PM
316shooter
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Black Seamless Problem

Most soft boxes from Chimera, Photoflex, etc make boxes in both a flush-face and recessed face versions. Look up Chimera Super Pro plus and you will see photos of the recessed face. Basically the front face of the soft box has a 2-inch or so lip around it, that has velcro attachment points. This way you can add a fabric grid when desired. Quality of light remains the same, but its more focused. I use them nearly all the time on location because typically I want the light reaching only the subject, not everything in the scene. But there are also times when I am using a huge source like Elinchrom 74" octabank, and I nearly always flag it from the background by simply leaning a 4x8 sheet of foam core against the back edge of the octabank. There is no exact science to it, but rather just position it so light is not spilling. Moving to block spill, yet not be in the frame.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.