New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Vincentwong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Recently, my almost 10 years old lens start to give me problem. It jerk back and forth when focusing. Not to be mistaken for hunting. It only jerk forth and back rapidly similarly to a situation where my focus limit are only just slightly longer and shorter than the current focus distance. Meaning it hit the upper limit and back down to lower limit then up again. It goes on and on. When that happen, I just need to give the lens a light tap and it'll be fine. Sometime it keep on occurring the whole day and sometime none at all. Sometime the orientation of the lens will give different occurrence.

Did anybody here experience such problem and what could possibility be the cause? I need to send the lens in to Canon but the center here cannot service any lens above 200mm and will be sent to an oversea location not make known to me, or I can send it to Singapore which cost more because of currency exchange but with better service.

Canon Singapore says it could be USM motor or IS and could expect to cost more than a $1K for the repair.

Will appreciate greatly on such sharing to prepare for my sending it in. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Hersch
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Recently had this same problem with my 500. Total cost to repair was $680.17 including shipping charges. Parts were $371.90 - Labor $269.00 - Sales Tax $23.27 and Shipping $16.00. Lens works fine now. Charges in Singapore could be different.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Vincentwong

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Thanks Hersch. What parts were replaced?

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Hersch
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

I can't remember if it was the motor or the IS circuit board. I think it was the IS. It did exactly like your description. On some days it seemed to work fine and on others I could not get rid of the jerky movement. I have three Bodies and it did not matter which one it was on. I got in back from Canon (Irvin, CA) in two weeks and it has been fine since. Mine was bought in 2000 so it was over 10 years old.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Vincentwong

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Exactly the same case. I even tried switching the IS on and off but to no avail. At least I know where I should send it and what to expect. Thanks Hersch. Really appreciate it.

Dec 25, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Vincentwong

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

A little update on my lens.

Sent to local Canon Service Centre and they send it to wherever they can get it repaired but would not tell me weather it will be done in Malaysia or overseas. After almost a month, they came back with the report. USM Focusing assembly. The cost? Motor $307, Contact assembly $26 and Labour with free Lens mount assembly $90. All cost are converted from our Local currency to US$. Took them another month to get the parts, repair, test and send back to me. All works fine now.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:22 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jerky 500 4.0 IS Ver I

Thanks for the update.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.