New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lumedyne part 2!

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lumedyne part 2!

arrrgh! The Lumedyne cable on my lights are not compatible with the battery, and charger thingy, whyyyyyy!

Untitled by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Untitled by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:47 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lumedyne part 2!

case closed, the red thingy unscrews. oy

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:51 PM
tedwca
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lumedyne part 2!

Yeah, that is the unit that power both Quantum X flashes and Lumedyne heads.

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:48 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lumedyne part 2!

tedwca wrote:
Yeah, that is the unit that power both Quantum X flashes and Lumedyne heads.

I have two heads, but one port! My next move will be find an adapter, or the quantum plug to lumedyne, so I could use both strobes, instead of the one!! The powerpack I was able to afford sadly came with one lumedyne and one quantum! Currently I'm scouring eBay for a sort of universal adapter, if it is possible, because the ones available are freaking expensive, $80.!

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:59 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lumedyne part 2!

You could look for a booster that has a port on it. I'm not sure that is an affordable option though.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lumedyne part 2!

You may not want to use that pack with two heads for two reasons..

First reason.. It's a 200Ws pack and wouldn't provide very much output when split between two heads.

Second reason.. You would have no way of adjusting power ratios as both heads would output at the same power level.

Booster units are useful, but even those can come without additional head sockets or the means to adjust the output if they did, so you would need to be careful what you bought. You then need to be mindful that your recycle times would increase and you would need greater battery capacity to use these as well

Alternatively, you could add a Quantum head to that pack along with your existing Lumedyne head. The Quantum has its own power adjust separate from the pack so you could dial that down if needed.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lumedyne part 2!

ukphotographer wrote:
You may not want to use that pack with two heads for two reasons..

First reason.. It's a 200Ws pack and wouldn't provide very much output when split between two heads.

Second reason.. You would have no way of adjusting power ratios as both heads would output at the same power level.

Booster units are useful, but even those can come without additional head sockets or the means to adjust the output if they did, so you would need to be careful what you bought. You then need to be mindful that your recycle times would increase and you would need greater battery
...Show more
Thank you very much for the detailed information, you rock!! I do need to figure something out soon or maybe just settle for one to use with my Metz 60ct-1 and sell of the other! I have two Metz 69 CT-1 that are now fully functional however they are sharing the same li-on battery as well! I had hoped to have them all functioning in order to test the lighting out without needing to spend a fortune on already prepared light like alienbees and so on! I know some people are highly capable with one light source however I wanted to just skip the possible extra steeps and have it complete and ready! I'm wasting so much time waiting and not shooting that I haven't even used the single lumedyne more than twice so far! I think I'll give it a go soon and surround my subject whether live or still, so I could get a better view and hopefully outcome with the lights, and then maybe soon I could try being creative and do some fancy strobe work?! xD. Thank you once more, for your time, suggestions, and overall awesomeness!

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lumedyne part 2!

If you keep it simple, a single 200Ws head would be useful. Adding the extra heads and wanting to use ratios would just add complications. I think previously it was mentioned that one head - one pack was optimal, certainly using two heads in one modifier wouldn't give you more than the one pack could provide so you need to be pretty organised to know what you need and how you need to set it all up if you are planning to use the Lumedyne's extensively.

The Lumedynes offer a great low cost high output lighting system but at the lower end the control is a little basic.

I have quite a few Lumedynes but have only used two heads in each pack only twice - that I can remember - first, unplanned with additional lighting zones required and secondly planned as part of a high output travelling setup. I think most people would use the system that way, as a useful single head with an occasionally needed or optional second head.

Dec 26, 2013 at 06:13 PM
charleychen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lumedyne part 2!

You can probably get a 200 w/s power pack with a battery for less than $200. Or you can get a quantum X2 strobe. The benefit of the quantum is that you can adjust the light output on the head, so when you us both heads, the quantum gets it's power and the lumedyme head will get 200-X. Great for ratios, if you'd like.

Dec 27, 2013 at 09:18 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lumedyne part 2!

charleychen wrote:
You can probably get a 200 w/s power pack with a battery for less than $200. Or you can get a quantum X2 strobe. The benefit of the quantum is that you can adjust the light output on the head, so when you us both heads, the quantum gets it's power and the lumedyme head will get 200-X. Great for ratios, if you'd like.

Mr Chen, Experience comes with ripe years, as for me, I lack those years with light, however, with all of this excellent advice, I shall prevail!! Thank you all, for your time, and aid! Now, I am off to plan some actual photography, as soon as I feel inspired!

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:50 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lumedyne part 2!

i also bought this, to toy with!

new toy for photo by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.