New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Javier Crespin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Not polished edits. C&C always appreciated.
Thanks-Merry Christmas

Edited on Dec 24, 2013 at 01:11 AM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

"We know that photographers seek creative portrait settings; however, using train tracks as a backdrop for photos is not only dangerous, it is illegal trespassing,” said Operation Lifesaver, Inc. President and CEO Joyce Rose. “This spring, as part of our mission to reduce deaths and injuries around trains, we are asking professional and amateur photographers to set the right example by staying away from train tracks.” Rose noted that about every three hours in the U.S., a person or vehicle is hit by a train."

http://oli.org/news/view/operation-lifesaver-urges-professional-photographers-to-stay-safe-stay-away

Not trying to be a kill-joy or a jerk... but people really do die doing this.

Dec 23, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Point taken. Although we did stay safe.

Dec 23, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Vince Muehe

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Wow. No comments about the photography.

#1. The photo is sharp. The red shirt with the salmon colored brick background clashes a bit. It would be possible to mask your son and adjust the color of the background to something a little less red.

Nice smile. May want to clean up a few blemishes. Overall a good photo.

#2. No smile. Wrinkles in the forehead. Not a fan of this photo, although the color of the background is better than #1.

#3. Probably the best photo of the bunch. A little over-exposed on the subjects right side. Still like this photo the most.

#4. No smile. I like smiles. Sepia toning is too pink and too saturated for my taste also. Good starting point though.

Keep it up!

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Thanks Vince. There is no substitute for unbiased opinions. My girlfriend loves every picture I take. But that doesn't help me much. But your insight does, thank you.

I was hoping 2 and 4 were a contemplative look. As dangerous as tracks may be to shoot on they can produce a feel unlike any other location.

Although not a particular interesting photo this one pulled a tear.

Dec 26, 2013 at 09:26 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

No 3, 4, and 5 are the best images. I might crop a little of the left side of #4 to make it less static, more dynamic. I like the pensive mood. I would also crop half way between the fingers and the bottom of #3. The flare in #3 doesn't work too well.

Talking about #2 there are posing problems inherent in the setting. The tracks are too low for him to sit comfortably so he's tense. See how his shoulders are hunched up? His legs are too long for this pose on this low perch. But you should always remind subjects to relax their shoulders.f

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

Thanks Jack.

Didn't even notice that flare. Good eye.

Yeah I had him bunched up for sure. Hes too long for that.

Happy New Year!

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

"Specifically, 4,749 pedestrians were reported to have been killed in motor vehicle crashes in the United States in 2003"
http://www.walkinginfo.org/pedsafe/crashstats.cfm

Pictures on near roads are out too.

The only danger to photographing near railroads is in fact shooting near railroads.

As far as the photography goes I think that it was a challenging time to shoot if you are not practiced with hard light. Evan is boss, I've witnessed it. The photos are decent but the on camera flash kind of kills it for me. Maybe try playing with some off camera flash on another shoot and see what you get.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Son on tracks -CC needed -

No roads, no tracks.... aww man!

I had a corded flash which I was hand holding, attempting to aim flash while shooting the shot. It was limiting and felt like a juggling act. Gonna need an assistant and use some reflectors.

Shane you are an amazing photographer. Great work!

Dec 27, 2013 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.