Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Lightroom Training

Hoffainc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Training

I have used Photoshop Elements 11 and am decent with it, not as pro by any means. My wife got me Lightroom 5 for Christmas. How is my learning curve going to be? Any recommended training to shorten my learning curve?

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Training

Go to the B&H webpage and look up Event Videos. Tim Grey and others have hour long videos on using Lightroom.

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Training

Hoffainc wrote:
I have used Photoshop Elements 11 and am decent with it, not as pro by any means. My wife got me Lightroom 5 for Christmas. How is my learning curve going to be? Any recommended training to shorten my learning curve?

its not a hard program to work out .

have a look at Adobe's Lightroom Channel on youtube . some good info in a few short videos .
enough to get you started .

also dont be affraid to look at the videos from the earlier versions as well . much of LR is the same (or very similar) anyway

the Lightroom training on Lynda.com is also very good .

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:25 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Training

Hoffainc wroteMy wife got me Lightroom 5 for Christmas. How is my learning curve going to be? Any recommended training to shorten my learning curve?
Merry Christmas! I think you'll really like LR5.

Basic tasks are pretty intuitive. There are tons of videos on youtube that will help you get up to speed and learn some nifty tricks, like defining multiple adjustment brushes on one image.

When's your birthday? Ask her for the NIK plugins as a birthday present!

Dec 23, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Hoffainc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Training

Funny you ask about my birthday, it's today

Dec 23, 2013 at 07:29 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Training

Hoffainc wrote:
Funny you ask about my birthday, it's today

Then you're all set!

December birthdays are rough. Mine, my younger sons and one of my grandsons have December birthdays.

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Hoffainc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Training

What are NIK plugins?

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:28 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Training

Hoffainc wrote:
What are NIK plugins?

http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

It's a bundle of post processing tools. You could do many of the things the tools offer in LR, but it would take a lot more effort. Here's my rundown:

One of the biggest features of all the tools is the ability to use control points. These are context aware points that let you make adjustments for specific areas in the photo.

Viveza: This is a good editing tool for color photos. Here's a couple of typical uses. After making global adjustments, usually in LR (you can do the same in Viveza), go into Viveza and work with control points in the sky. I can darken the sky, make it bluer, and add contrast and stucture to the clouds. On portraits, I use control points on the eyes to subtley lighten them and add contrast and structure. I also set control points on the teeth and desaturate and add a little cyan to whiten them.

Color Efex Pro - This has great fun tools to add effects. It also has a good dynamic skin softener.

Silver Efex Pro- My favorite tool of the bunch. I get the best B&W conversions using SEP of any method.

HDR Efex Pro - It's a good HDR program, but not the best IMO. You have to work with it to get natural HDR.

DFine - A good noise reduction tool.

Sharpener Pro - It makes sharpening for monitors or printing very easy and gives great results.

Download a trial and see what you think. There's also tons of tutorials available.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Training

Happy birthday Rich.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
the Lightroom training on Lynda.com is also very good.

+1

lynda.com is my go-to... tutorials on many, many topics with great coverage of Lightroom.

Lightroom is both a non-destructive image editor and a powerful database and photo management system. I'd encourage you to dig into the latter - if you're not already using similar software it will revolutionize your workflow and file management.

Regards,

Chuck

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:27 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Training

look up David DuChemin's Craft & Vision books, there is one exactly for lightroom 5 that will run you through everything you need and it's probably $10 or less (ebook)

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:31 AM
fsphoto

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom Training

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-lightroom-5/

Dec 24, 2013 at 07:18 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom Training

When I bought Lr 4 from B&H a while back they included a DVD Called "Lightroom 4: Crash Course. with Matt Kloskowski. It has a KelbyTraining.com label on it also. I found it quick, to the point, and without some of the cuteness of some training stuff. You might look around and see if there is a update to ver. 5. After looking the DVD over a couple of times, I pretty much went to learn on my own. Oh, the NIK plugins are a nice set of additions. Usefulness - to me - varies with Viveza and SilverEfx extremely valuable. Others less so and I consider the sharpening tool basically useless.

Lr doesn't have near the depth and complexity of Ps so it's not overly difficult to master the program - though I do regularly stumble across something I hadn't seen before.

Robert

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:26 PM
DanRiv25

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom Training

kelbyone.com is a good start or creative live

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:48 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom Training

Google Julieanne Kost for free online tutorials.

You'll love Lightroom!

Mar 22, 2014 at 03:58 AM
caribrob

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom Training

http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=3084

Mar 22, 2014 at 05:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom Training

Hoffainc wrote:

I promised myself I would never again make the mistake of critiquing someone's birthday present so… On the topic of training… I've found the best resources to be free on-line and discoverable with simple searches in youtube and google (or better yet StartPage) - especially true for Adobe applications. As already mentioned LR isn't very difficult to get to know but there are a few caveats which might escape you if you don't read the manual or watch a few tutorials.

For plug-in use such as the NIK ones mentioned, the excellent Topaz suit, or any of the other hundreds out there, it's of course better to use them in PhotoShop where you have more control over how they affect the image and where more tools are available for the kinds of things one interested in PlugIns would be inclined to want/use.

Oh, And Happy Belated B-Day BTW..! So, how old are ya now?

Mar 22, 2014 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password