New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

Been summing up the new IS versions, I have the old standard versions so the sun shone yesterday and I went out local to do a few tests on the 5d3 with the old lenses. What I was after was seeing just how the noise crept in between iso 200 and iso 1600 looking for the big benefit of using an IS lens at 200 and my old timers at 1600.

First of all I was very impressed with the existing old lenses and although there is a touch of softening in the very corners in general they work very well. So now to compare the noise difference between the high iso and low iso to see just how much better my images will look using iso 200 and the new IS lenses (apart from maybe the new lenses might be slightly better in the extreme corners)

Well to be honest as far as noise goes then the difference between 200 and 1600 is so small as to not be a problem on properly exposed images. So! I`m sort of glad I did a test first, yes IS would be good to have but do I really need to spend more than £1k for the small benefit + new lens hoods as they aren`t included (can`t believe they don`t ship with lens hoods at those prices)
I`ll have a lie down in a dark room and try to get over the urge to buy the new lenses for now although I could possibly be swayed if someone tells me that the IQ using the new lenses vs the old ones is chalk and cheese

Dave

Dec 23, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

dave chilvers wrote:
I`ll have a lie down in a dark room...

Sounds like a plan.

Dec 23, 2013 at 07:53 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

At the initial Canon prices of $800 and $850, the new lenses were a bit steep.

But at this price $380, how can you not buy?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1262069/0?keyword=canon,28,f2.8#12018339

Yeah, I know this one is 28mm. I have this lens, and love it.

It has superb build quality, IS and ultrasonic motor, vs the old lens buzzy AFD motor. It is especially sharper wide open and at the edges at any aperture! I can't believe it remains for sale at this incredible price. I also bought an after market shade (Rainbow Imaging) for $14, vs Canon's $52.

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:40 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I've been using the 35 f2IS on the 5D3 and I'm nothing short of blown away by this lens. So light and fast. I have some images I took at Disney last week, pitch black on moving rides at iso 25600. Never thought that would have been possible in the past.

Dave

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I'm also limping along in a fairly happy manner, owning the original 24-28-35 models, plus the same era designed 50/2.5 Compact Macro. Makes a wonderful set and IQ is very good, if not perfect.

Also like you, Dave, I'm interested in upgrading the 24 and 35 (I'll just keep the original 28 as-is) to add the IS and the new lens design/coatings. The 35 will probably be first, and selling my Canon and Samyang models to get it.

I know IS will be a big benefit based on using the 24-105 IS lens -- there are a lot of times I'd like an even faster lens in low light to keep a moderate ISO, and the IS helps a lot, but need that faster aperture too. Reviews and user response has been great to all these new IS primes.

Until then, I'm having good results with this set, backed up by lenses such as 24 and 45 TSE for more critical shots.

Please keep us posted.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
darwinphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I picked up a used 24 f/2.8 IS. I'm in love with the lens. Very small and light. Overall sharpness is better than the 17-40L. This will be a gem come backpacking season.

I'm quite surprised at the lack of press (good or bad) I hear on this 24mm IS lens. I can certainly understand why nobody paid $850 for it, but at $550, I'm thinking it is becoming a fair value.

- Keith -

Dec 25, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I used a Nikkor 24 f2 for years - personally, the Canon at f2.8 has less appeal than it would at f2. But that would cut into the f1.4 sales I guess.

Dec 25, 2013 at 09:21 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I just bought the 35/2 IS and so far am VERY impressed. Bokeh isn't quite as smooth as my Leica 35/2.5 Summarit-M, but then even Leica's faster and more expensive 35s aren't.

For $550 it is amazing.

Dec 25, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I believe Lloyd Chambers has some rather complimentary things to say about the Canon 24mm 2.8 IS.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I think that at $550, the 35/f2 IS is a terrific lens. I love mine!

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I really like the new 24 and 35mm lenses, although I never used the older versions. The new ones have a really nice size, weight, look and feel, and quiet AF motors. They are a pleasure to use. The new lower prices make them very attractive. I love the 28mm too. And the IS improves the steadiness of video.

Dec 26, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

Don Clary wrote:
At the initial Canon prices of $800 and $850, the new lenses were a bit steep.

But at this price $380, how can you not buy?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1262069/0?keyword=canon,28,f2.8#12018339

Yeah, I know this one is 28mm. I have this lens, and love it.

It has superb build quality, IS and ultrasonic motor, vs the old lens buzzy AFD motor. It is especially sharper wide open and at the edges at any aperture! I can't believe it remains for sale at this incredible price. I also bought an after market shade (Rainbow Imaging) for $14, vs Canon's $52.

unfortunatly the OP (like myself) is in the UK . both the 24 and 35 IS lenses are around £500 .
he could buy a used USA lens on the B&S if he can find someone willing to ship outside the CONUS (which is rare) , but having been stiffed by our customs on a genuinely bought used lens from the US id not do it again . ( the 5 year old lens I bought ended up costing me the near to the new UK price as the customs wouldnt have it that it was a used item . )
and we dont seem to get a sniff at refurbs

Dec 26, 2013 at 04:51 AM
chas1113

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I, too, picked up the 35mm IS pre-Christmas for under $500. I shot a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony (handheld) in the dark using my 580 EX II to obtain focus on my 5DII (without flashing) and the pictures were crisp and where I wanted the focus to be. I love this lens so much I'm getting rid of my 50mm f/1.4. I actually like the bokeh wide open, but prefer shooting at 2.8. No problem with center point focus on my 5DII out of the box (no micro AF adjusting). The noise at ISO 2000 wasn't "too" terrible.

Dec 26, 2013 at 07:02 AM
R Royse

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I picked up a used 28mm IS a few months ago and instantly loved it for its sharpness, small size and IS. I have since gotten the 35mm f2 and it's even better. I also tried a copy of the 24IS with high hopes, but was very disappointed. It wasn't very sharp away from the center and the edges had that smeared look at every aperture. Since I already have the 28IS and the 24L I found no reason to keep it or try another copy. Maybe I just had a bad one and should try others before coming to too much of a conclusion, but from what I've seen the 24IS isn't in the same class as the 28IS or 35IS.

Dec 26, 2013 at 01:26 PM
zlatko
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

Sounds like a bad copy. Roger at Lensrentals found that the 28mm IS is a little sharper than the 24mm IS wide open, but the 24mm IS improves significantly when stopped down to f/4 and f/5.6 -
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/06/the-other-canon-primes-why-did-they-do-that
He concluded "The bottom line is these are both nice, sharp lenses."

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:40 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I tried my 28 2.8 yesterday and the corners aint good on FF but to be quite honest the jump between my 24 (non IS which is very good) and my good copy of the old 35 f2 isn`t too bad. I have a 28 2.8 contax MM that could fill the gap if needs be. I`ve got to say that over £500 for the 35 + the hood is what is gonna hold me back from buying the lens. I`ve heard nothing but good reports on the new 35 but it still seems a lot to spend and lets face it 35mm is well hand holdable down preety slow speeds.

Out of interest I put my 70-200 f4 IS up against my 135 f2 and at those focal lengths hand held the zoom does make a big difference at my age.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

dave chilvers wrote:
...Out of interest I put my 70-200 f4 IS up against my 135 f2 and at those focal lengths hand held the zoom does make a big difference at my age.

For sure. I keep my 135/2L around as backup for my 70-200/2.8L IS II for many purposes, including low light events/ In the later case, I take a small travel monopod to make up for the lack if IS, at lower shutter speeds.

P.S. I'm buying an EF 24/2.8 IS in the next week, or so.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:51 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Considered the new 24 and 35 IS lenses

I ordered a 35 IS last week. The price reductions, coupled with a sale price brought it down into a price range where it seemed attractive. What's up with the hood prices? I do like the new push button hood designs, but the cost seems a little out of line.

I will give the lens a try in my EOS M kit initially. I'm less convinced about it's utility in my 5DIII kit where it will be competing against my 24-70 II. But, I can envision a few core scenarios where the 35 IS would a smarter choice than the 24-70. It will be fun to explore it's strengths.

I'm hoping Canon releases a new 50 1.4 IS in 2014. That would be my most used lens of the legacy lens replacements and is a focal length I like to shoot.

Dave, I think I would have a very hard time justifying swapping out your legacy primes at the price you would be paying in the UK. But, after my new 35 IS arrives (it is backordered) I might have a clearer idea of the tradeoff. One thing about the new primes and zooms is that they focus much more consistently and accurately on the newer bodies. I have shot entire events with the newer lenses and bodies and not had a single AF issue ... not one focus miss. I'm hoping the new 35 continues that trend.

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.