Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Facebook image quality drop off?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Has anyone else noticed this recently? About a month ago, I noticed my image post quality dropping substantially. As far as I know, I have changed absolutely nothing...but it is VERY noticeable. Am I the only one having this issue?

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:16 AM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Same issue here, I have had great success posting PNG files that look incredible and when taken off facebook read as .png (around 1.5mb) but cant seem to find the correct formula to get it to work now. Every time i upload png's now it downscales them to jpg. Wonder if they dont allow png uploads now and have cut the quality back all together? Sucks....

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:24 AM
pette87
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook image quality drop off?

did you guys use dng for facebook?
with what settings about pixel or image lenght?
thanks

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:43 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Am I the only one who hasn't noticed a drop off in quality? If anything, I think the quality has improved.

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:33 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Facebook image quality drop off?

I also think the fb images look ok. What are you resizing to? Also, fb just hired a "photographer's liaison" so there may be good changes coming!

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:58 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Facebook image quality drop off?

I noticed it too. What is even worse, when you download the photo from facebook it is even worse. I am building a site for a client and she only has pics on facebook as her laptop died and had no backup. She uploaded iPhone photos which should be a decent size. When we downloaded them from FB they are barely 1 megepixel.

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:55 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Facebook image quality drop off?

I have noticed this too, starting about a month ago. Photos look lower-res/more pixelated lately.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Mine looked terrible. I had them sharpened for screen at 1000px wide for Facebook.

Now I go 2048px wide and they look incredible. But there is the chance someone's mom is going to steal them off my page.

Dec 23, 2013 at 03:11 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Facebook image quality drop off?

I use 2048px because I want things to look good on high-resolution screens which are becoming the next big thing with all these 300 dpi tablets, Macbook Retina, and more things to come. The apps and browsers haven't all caught up but I'm sure they will soon.

(Although I'm a lot less concerned about image theft than most people, honestly ...)

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:31 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Facebook image quality drop off?

pette87 wrote:
did you guys use dng for facebook?
with what settings about pixel or image lenght?
thanks

I didnt know that Facebook let you upload dng and be displayed.

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:32 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Facebook image quality drop off?

I think he means png...

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Facebook image quality drop off?

joelconner wrote:
I think he means png...

Yeah, I was wondering about that: uploading a DNG.

Dec 25, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Mark Rigsby
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Mine looked terrible. I had them sharpened for screen at 1000px wide for Facebook.

Now I go 2048px wide and they look incredible. But there is the chance someone's mom is going to steal them off my page.

By the time I put them on Facebook I've been paid and the mom has already ordered a print of the photo.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Mark Rigsby wrote:
By the time I put them on Facebook I've been paid and the mom has already ordered a print of the photo.

While this would be great, between my day job and my photography business, print sales aren't something I have a huge amount of time for. Plus, with most of my clients being young professionals, Facebook, Instagram, etc. has a lot of their wedding pictures up online before I even get home. Future business is more likely to roll in the sooner that I get those images up on social media. Usually in less than 48 hours.

Dec 26, 2013 at 01:19 PM
barbelmontana

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Facebook image quality drop off?

has anyone here tried to upload to FB through Lightroom?
It works like a charm, it automatically can watermark and you can set dimension. My long side is 2100 and the images look fantastic.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Facebook image quality drop off?

The recommended FB sizes are 960 and 2048 pixels wide...on the low end, try and keep it under 100kb..size wise, not sure on the larger size.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
Future business is more likely to roll in the sooner that I get those images up on social media. Usually in less than 48 hours.

I keep hearing about this new "social media" thing as actually being of benefit to a small business. It's just gotten so much bad press as, "all it is is a way for people to talk about what they've had for breakfast today".

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:20 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Facebook image quality drop off?

D. Diggler wrote:
I keep hearing about this new "social media" thing as actually being of benefit to a small business. It's just gotten so much bad press as, "all it is is a way for people to talk about what they've had for breakfast today".

every time anyone brings up Facebook you seem to make this same kind of comment. why not just look into it yourself? you act like it's this big mystery that is exclusive and you can't just sign up.... you can even make a fake account if you want and just look at what others are doing and using it for. I don't understand why you treat it as such a mystery.

Dec 28, 2013 at 01:53 PM
phillip ino
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Facebook image quality drop off?

dhp_sf wrote:
every time anyone brings up Facebook you seem to make this same kind of comment. why not just look into it yourself? you act like it's this big mystery that is exclusive and you can't just sign up.... you can even make a fake account if you want and just look at what others are doing and using it for. I don't understand why you treat it as such a mystery.

Yeah! His comments are so 2011. Get with it, Man!

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Facebook image quality drop off?

Bad news for those of you who base your business entirely on Facebook:

Facebook Is Dead And Buried To Today's Teens

Would like to stay and talk with you chaps longer this evening but I gotta start getting ready now to go out to the bar to watch a big UFC mixed martial arts fight: Ronda Rousey is taking on Miesha Tate in a re-match for the title. Still gotta do my hair and pick out my outfit and be ready to go in 45 minutes.

Maybe some other FMers will be watching, too.

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.