Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

Gitzo Tripod failed again!

peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I think the warranty is 5 years now, wear and tear, and there's a temperature range in the small print.

Dec 27, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I have to dig through all my old receipts to find when I bought it, the leg that was replaced is the one with all the information on it, go figure...

Dec 27, 2013 at 06:02 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

What a terrible saga!

Gitzo has served me well and still still seem the best and I will continue to use it....one failure in hundreds of success stories is not a reasonable argument. To be swayed I need more specifics, anything will fail in certain given extremes!

Dec 28, 2013 at 08:18 PM
diverhank
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I was gonna buy a Gitzo tripod when I get my big lens in the near future...guess it will be another brand.

Dec 28, 2013 at 08:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

diverhank wrote:
I was gonna buy a Gitzo tripod when I get my big lens in the near future...guess it will be another brand.

Just go up rt 1 to SLO and see how quality and durability is done.

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

diverhank wrote:

That was easy! So, you're basing your decision on just one case? How many satisfied owners have you met? Probably not that many since they don't share their story across the internet. You only read about the problems. There are plenty of excellently designed and manufactured devices out there, from tripods to cars to cameras, and every one of them has a failure rate, even if it is small. Do a little more research and make an informed decision.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

diverhank wrote:

What brand will you buy instead? A brand that never had one complain on the internet Good luck with that. I hope you don't read anything about the big lens here. Then you have to buy something else

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Remember, there are real faults and then there are perceived faults.

Dec 29, 2013 at 01:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

peter_n wrote:
I think the warranty is 5 years now, wear and tear, and there's a temperature range in the small print.

Just to be a little more precise. US warranty info

http://www.gitzo.us/warranty

Dec 29, 2013 at 02:29 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Jeffrey wrote:
That was easy! So, you're basing your decision on just one case?....

Absolutely - if you were to base purchasing decisions on negative internet reports you would never buy anything.

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I currently have 3 gitzo tripods. They are subjected to some tough conditions, and they all have served me well with no issues. There will certainly be problems in any batch of product. In my opinion, something of this magnitude looks to be some sort of initial weakness in that part that eventually became much worse. My tripods have banged off rocks, been in salt/fresh water, and have been exposed to some bad conditions, but I have never had a problem like that.

Just as with most things on the internet, you'll find that those who are happy with the equipment seldom speak much about their satisfaction, but who have problems (and in this case righteously so) will carry the bigger megaphone. I have a friend who uses a RRS tripod that has been in the shop on so many occasions that he is on a first name basis with the repair deparment, but that doesn't mean they make poor quality tripods. Likewise, when you see a tripod like this that has a failure, that doesn't speak to Gitzo as a whole --- otherwise you would see far more instances of issues.

What does make a difference is how a company deals with such an issue after the fact. That is an area where Gitzo definitely has some problems. Their repairs can take a VEEEERRRRYYY long time.

Dec 29, 2013 at 05:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

so, why is your friend in so often having it repaired? i'm interested and I believe others would be too.

Dec 29, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

sjms wrote:
so, why is your friend in so often having it repaired? i'm interested and I believe others would be too.

I don't know the specifics, but I think it had something to do with the leg locks. I'll ask him for more details next time I see him. He had one of their first models, so maybe they were still working out some of the bugs.

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:16 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Ben Horne wrote:
I don't know the specifics, but I think it had something to do with the leg locks. I'll ask him for more details next time I see him. He had one of their first models, so maybe they were still working out some of the bugs.

Thats what happened to me. One of the leg locks on my tvc34l went limp and didn't ratchet within the first week of me owning it. I took it in (i live near rrs) and they fixed it in 10mins while I waited. Been fine since.

Every manufacturer has quality issues and I agree that its really about how they fix a problem when one happens

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Ben Horne wrote:

yep, they did have an issue with the spring back on the leg position locks on the early versions. I had gotten info from them about that. it was resolved.
it did not render the affected tripods unusable. just sort of reverted it to the Gitzo mode of setting.
I too had a very early one but mine didn't have the issue but I sent it back as a precaution.

more please.

"I have a friend who uses a RRS tripod that has been in the shop on so many occasions that he is on a first name basis with the repair deparment"

Edited on Dec 29, 2013 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2013 at 06:37 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Interesting thread. For any old schoolers, were there problems like this with the all metal legs in the days before CF?

Dec 29, 2013 at 08:36 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

DGC1 wrote:
Interesting thread. For any old schoolers, were there problems like this with the all metal legs in the days before CF?

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:01 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

A very good point. Who ever had leg failure before CF?

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

the biggest issue with composites are the adhesives used and temperature. metal can take a lot more "abuse" in building. temperatures, types of adhesives, interference fitting, riveting and such.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:20 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Mine is an old 1410 if memory serves that I bought 11 years ago and has never given me a problem.

Dec 29, 2013 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password