Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Gitzo Tripod failed again!

astro-ep
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Yep. I'll have to withdraw my earlier comment about switching brands. With this level of deterioration I doubt any similarly constructed tripod would hold-up any better.

Thanks for sharing the macro photo.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Well gitzo does have a stainless line of tripods but they are rather pricey by any standards.
RRS uses billet Aluminum and hard anodizes its construction where appropriate.This will give a substantial increase in potential function and longevity.
One of the few reasons i have been using their product since it came out.

Edited on Dec 24, 2013 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Flowernut wrote:
I've used and some would say abused gitzo tripods for 25 years. The only problem I had was when gitzo was gitso (before they were bought out) in the days before carbon fiber, I had aluminum tripods with spiked feet. When in the cold, the foot insert and aluminum tube expanded/contracted at different rates in the cold and the spike would loosen up enough to fall out. Never had a problem since.

The name has always been gitzo. After their family name gitzhoven

http://www.gitzo.com/about+Gitzo/history/History/3660924

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:57 AM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I only put it in salt water once and cleaned it, it's not salt but I am not sure what it is

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Mg alloy is considerably more reactive to certain materials.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

How cold was it when the tripod failed? I see that you are in Canada.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Ben Horne wrote:
How cold was it when the tripod failed? I see that you are in Canada.

There looks to be a definite indication of corrosion but as you are suggesting yet another
mitigating environmental issue that probably aggravated the failure. He did say it was +15f
which is rather brisk but not killer.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:14 AM
unclemikey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

sjms wrote:
Actually they are not just die cast. It is a more substantial process.

I have used gitzo legs that were older then me when i started.

But i am not a fan of Mg alloy being used in high stress areas. There are too many factors which can lead to a failure

I'm curious, what is the more substantial process in die casting? As far as I understand there are three ways of making these types of products. Die Cast, which is iffy at best unless QC is at its utmost; Forging, which can also have its difficulties when poor QC methodology is utilized; and finally, CNC which as we all know is cut from a single block of material and is usually the strongest method to create parts for high stress equipment.

Please inform me I want to understand this better.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:57 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

sjms wrote:
With respect are you actively using your gear commercially?

I travel all around with my stuff and prefer to go with product that i normally can trust to a high level of confidence. It is an investment in a tool not an accessory.

Yes, I actively use all my gear commercially. I will tell you though except for a very few assignments, I've not had much experience with extreme cold temperatures. High temperatures yes but not extreme cold.

I do travel extensively for my work and more often then not I drive as I am usually gear heavy and flying is not to my liking.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

There's a good chance it's chemical corrosion caused by the glue used. I see similar problems in cars.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

irish-george
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

If you paid $300 before for a repair, have you thought about taking it to a machine shop and asking what they'd charge to duplicate those parts in 316 stainless steel? Might be the same or less than you're paying for "more of the same." Just a thought...

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

The carbon fibre failed on the other leg

Dec 24, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Sorry to hear this. I've used a dozen Gitzos over ten years and never saw this. From the pics, it appears that the unit took a hit or a massive side stress. I'm having a hard time believing it was not some sort of impact, perhaps that you were not aware of.

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

irish-george wrote:
If you paid $300 before for a repair, have you thought about taking it to a machine shop and asking what they'd charge to duplicate those parts in 316 stainless steel? Might be the same or less than you're paying for "more of the same." Just a thought...

As the owner of a high precision CNC and prototype machine shop, I can tell you that reverse engineering and making those parts from 316 SS is going to cost WAY more than $300!

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

unclemikey wrote:
Yes, I actively use all my gear commercially. I will tell you though except for a very few assignments, I've not had much experience with extreme cold temperatures. High temperatures yes but not extreme cold.

I do travel extensively for my work and more often then not I drive as I am usually gear heavy and flying is not to my liking.

i was in Beijing 2 months ago and am currently in Tokyo. flying can be a drag but in a car, which i too prefer, you just can't get there from here wherever "here" is. my work keeps me very mobile and my gear can
be an issue and the gear i have i trust in just about every situation. i have a farly short time before i hang this all up and really start to travel.

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

irish-george wrote:

you are joking i hope?

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

unclemikey wrote:
I'm curious, what is the more substantial process in die casting? As far as I understand there are three ways of making these types of products. Die Cast, which is iffy at best unless QC is at its utmost; Forging, which can also have its difficulties when poor QC methodology is utilized; and finally, CNC which as we all know is cut from a single block of material and is usually the strongest method to create parts for high stress equipment.

Please inform me I want to understand this better.

i believe these days they are using MIM (metal injection molding) it allows better control of design of the parts and materials
allows higher volume near finished and supposedly higher quality parts.
it is a variation on casting technology both high and low temp metals can be done using it. powdered metal tech.
i know they use this on their stainless line.

Edited on Dec 24, 2013 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:26 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

sjms wrote:
i was in Beijing 2 months ago and am currently in Tokyo. flying can be a drag but in a car, which i too prefer, you just can't get there from here wherever "here" is. my work keeps me very mobile and my gear can
be an issue and the gear i have i trust in just about every situation. i have a farly short time before i hang this all up and really start to travel.

Most of my travel is within the US. I specialize in medical, research and entomological photography with some forensic criminalist work tossed in for good measure. Most of the time there is no rush for me to get on the scene, therefore I drive. In the past, I've done some work in Europe, but I really don't like to fly so I generally pass this work off to a friend in GB.
Unless it is very interesting then I'll go and do the assignment myself.

Tonight, I'm shooting a church pageant here in Richmond VA for the early children's session, and for the Christmas service I'll be shooting from inside the organ loft. Never did anything like this before but I've got shooters sound suppressors I'll wear hoping I have some hearing after the service. The minister wouldn't let me shoot from inside the church. "It's just not done", he said. Oh Well!!!

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:41 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

sjms wrote:

I understand the sense of trust in ones gear. However, I'm sure you would agree that you cannot trust something you haven't tried. The Sirui line of CF tripods has done me very well in a variety of environments. They clean easily and I've never sent one in for service by Argraph. I've also never had one fail, not ever.

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

watch the vibes too. especially when those pipes unload in the lower register.

sent PM

Edited on Dec 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password