Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Dan Bellyk
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Well my tripod failed again tonight and almost cost me $7000 worth of my gear, leg came right off. This is the second leg to fail this one even worse. Gitzo did not warranty my last repair and it cost me $300
Not sure why this one failed but I hope Gitzo will come good!
This tripod cost me $1000, I was hoping for something to last longer than that!

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:25 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Yikes! Did the casting crack? What precipitated this? This wouldn't happen just supporting camera gear, did it fall and hit a rock or something?

Dec 23, 2013 at 06:58 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Oh that's bad! My commiserations. What model, how old and how did it happen? I've dealt with CRIS in AZ who are now the repair agents for the US but you may have a different facility in Canada. CRIS seem very responsive. Wondering if this was out in severe cold...

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:03 PM
FredAz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

As Nikon would say -- IMPACT DAMAGE.

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:41 PM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Wow. I'm so glad that as a poor person I can only afford to buy a cheap, amateur, Manfrotto tripod...
Roy

Dec 23, 2013 at 03:12 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I have seen this happen a dozen times with Gitzo tripods. I avoid them even with their reputation.

Dec 23, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

No impact but I have been shooting outside with the temperatures around 15 degrees F

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

oops double post

Edited on Dec 23, 2013 at 04:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:16 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I have always wondered why so many people LOVE Gitzo tripods?

The problem you have is that they used a die cast fitting which is pure garbage. Die cast is notorious to crumble an give way after usage/age.

Don't repair it and don't replace it with another tripod with die cast fittings. Be sure to question your vendor before you make that next purchase.

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

any suggestions?

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

unclemikey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Dan Bellyk wrote:
any suggestions?

Except for my studio tripod which is a heavy weight Manfrotto, I have been using Sirui for years with never a problem. If you need to spend really big bucks, then you have to go with Really Right Stuff. The Sirui carbon fiber products are great and less than half the cost of the major brands.

Dec 23, 2013 at 05:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Well from what i can gather there was a possible outward side load on the leg assy and since it is a Mg alloy part it is quite stiff but can fracture more easily. Mitigating issues can be involved too.
if there is a defect or actual point of impact on an edge of the casting at the point where a crack can more easily start. If there was paint off corrosion can occur that will weaken it. So the term impact damage isnt so funny after all.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

martines34 wrote:
I have always wondered why so many people LOVE Gitzo tripods?

The problem you have is that they used a die cast fitting which is pure garbage. Die cast is notorious to crumble an give way after usage/age.

Don't repair it and don't replace it with another tripod with die cast fittings. Be sure to question your vendor before you make that next purchase.

Actually they are not just die cast. It is a more substantial process.

I have used gitzo legs that were older then me when i started.

But i am not a fan of Mg alloy being used in high stress areas. There are too many factors which can lead to a failure

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

unclemikey wrote:
Except for my studio tripod which is a heavy weight Manfrotto, I have been using Sirui for years with never a problem. If you need to spend really big bucks, then you have to go with Really Right Stuff. The Sirui carbon fiber products are great and less than half the cost of the major brands.

With respect are you actively using your gear commercially?

I travel all around with my stuff and prefer to go with product that i normally can trust to a high level of confidence. It is an investment in a tool not an accessory.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Got any close-up's. From this photo, it looks like some corrosion in the casting.

Just my opinion, but you might want to look at another brand.

Eric

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

How old and what model is this. It looks to be an older model

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Flowernut

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I've used and some would say abused gitzo tripods for 25 years. The only problem I had was when gitzo was gitso (before they were bought out) in the days before carbon fiber, I had aluminum tripods with spiked feet. When in the cold, the foot insert and aluminum tube expanded/contracted at different rates in the cold and the spike would loosen up enough to fall out. Never had a problem since.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

I regularly use the tripod around and in water (fresh water) except three years ago it was used in the caribbean but was cleaned thoroughly.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gitzo Tripod failed again!

No, that's corrosion. White powder filiform type under the paint. Pretty much invasive and almost impossible to get see much less get at because of the "protective" paint. Salt/acidic environment based. That grey black crackle paint hides it well.
And is a non warranty issue. would happen on any Mg alloy based tripod that spent time in a salt/acidic environment.

There are tripods out there that are constructed of much more resistant materials and that are built with better overall design and potential longevity

Edited on Dec 24, 2013 at 09:40 AM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password