Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

It's getting increasingly challenging to navigate to one's favourite Alt threads, wading through the sea of A7/A7R threads.

Their owners are very ill-disciplined FM forum users, as we see so many threads.

I don't own one myself, so I haven't done more than cursory browsing of a subset of the multitude of such threads.

I create this thread for all concerned Alt forum traditionalists to post in, thereby keeping a non-A7/A7R thread to the top of this fine Alt community!

Very tongue-in-cheek (I'll probably buy an A9...A11 in time myself)

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:47 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Give it a couple of weeks, it'll die down.

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:52 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

A few days ago there was a poll about giving the Sony guys an own forum. That makes sense IMO. Then we have the "old" alt-forum back.

But then we will miss the numerous threads about lossy compression, shutter vibration, adding weight to the camera, crappy lens-adapters, wide-angle RF-lenses that give pink and purple sides and corners, limited bracketing functionality, wrong white balance, etc.

It will be quiet over here.

Edited on Dec 22, 2013 at 08:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:04 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Hey, who authorized this non-A7(r) thread?

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

What is alt? I think I knew what alt was when the serious photo world seemed to be divided into Nikon versus Canon as it was anything else used on Canon or Nikon (more or less). But Sony is the first to make easy (and sometime desirable ) using non Sony lenses. Yes, the clamor will die down, but the enthusiasm, mine included, is because of the kid-in-a-candy-store feeling confronting the possibilities of a near universal platform.

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:10 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

wait, this sounds like just a thread to talk about the a7(r)'s impact on the community.

why not post to the many active non-a7(r) threads if you want them to be more visible?

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:30 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Yes, as I said, a very TIC posting from me.

I applaud Sony's efforts here and as a Nex-5N user myself (amongst my arsenal, but on loan to a family member as she does a 9-week holiday to the Americas) I love the ability to try a large range of lenses on a given body.

I'm also a keen M8 user and also of an M9 when I get mine in from a repair, but I note reports of M-lens wides not working as well on the A7R as was hoped, as alluded to in wiseguy010's post (he's well-named)

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:31 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Compared to this totally useless thread, I'd much rather have more informative threads on the a7(r) and all the different Alt lenses it can use.

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:56 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Read the first post mate, you are having a serious sense-of-humour failure.

Happy Holidays

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:57 PM
grahamb3
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

I'm guessing the a7(R) posts will die down shortly. Photographers are receiving their bodies and lenses, and figuring out the various settings.

Soon, most will be out shooting, leaving the forums to the snarky comments from the ignorant and envious.

Graham

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

lenticular11 wrote:
Read the first post mate, you are having a serious sense-of-humour failure.

Happy Holidays

My only recommendation is to NEVER joke about anything related to the A7 cameras. It is indeed a very sensitive topic which seems to occasionally bring out the worst in (some) people.

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:05 PM
flashinm
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Most people here are primarily manual focus legacy lens shooters. Our camera interest constantly change with what's available. When I first found this forum, most people shot canon with adapted lenses. Mirrorless cameras have taken over somewhat as the alt platform of choice due to smaller size and even greater adaptability. Maybe there should be a Sony forum, but I think that would fragment a great community. Even though I have an a7, I don't really think of myself as a Sony shooter. I'm an alt shooter, that changes the chip on the back of my lenses based on what's available.

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:27 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

The next camera from Sony will be not be called an 'A9' - SonyAlphaRumors already leaked it would be the 'AsSa9'

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:51 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

Luvwine wrote:
What is alt? I think I knew what alt was when the serious photo world seemed to be divided into Nikon versus Canon as it was anything else used on Canon or Nikon (more or less).

Anything else including non-native lenses on CaNikon bodies.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

thedigitalbean wrote:
Give it a couple of weeks, it'll die down.

yup! It's cyclic!!

We went throughout the same thing even with complaint threads like this very one for:

Zeiss glass,
Micro 4/3,
Nex,
Panasonic

And I think there was some hubbub about Fuji taking over too but I might be mis-remembering on that one.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

give me twenty minutes and ill bump every other non sony thread.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

what will happen is the images threads will get bigger faster and the tech aggro will back down somewhat. hopefully. Sony redefines Alt it seems...

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

In fact let me help shift the focus with a link to a Nikon story - Steve Huff's review of the Nikon DF in which he appears to commit the cardinal sin of showing 100% crops from cameras with different resolutions and pretends the one he is reviewing is the best, I mean, 100% crops never lie do they?:

Huff:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/12/20/the-nikon-df-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

DxO factual comparison (look at SNR):

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-Df-versus-Sony-A7R-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1___925_917_909

You have to watch these guys closely,

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Defeat Alt Gear & Lenses sub-forum takeover by A7/A7R threads!

I'm not concerned
The camera is one of the best platforms for alt lenses, it's new, and people are trying to work out the gazillion camera/lens combos available. Let them go nuts, this is what this board is for.

PS I dont think I'd use a Sony if they gave me one for free.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.