Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

FMers

As some of you know already, I will be embarking on the adventure of a lifetime in just 10 days. During "Biking for Birds" I will spend the entire calendar year of 2014 on a bicycle chasing birds around the lower 48 states. The goal is to see as many species of birds as possible without the use of petroleum, natural gas, or electricity.

My blog is now fully operational and can be found at: http://bikingforbirds.blogspot.com.

This blog will be my way of sharing my adventure with you. One of my goals next year is to raise $100,000 to support bird conservation and birdwatching. Exactly how I plan to do this and for what the money will be used is discussed at length in the blog, but just let me say it would be great if some or all of you could lend support to my cause. Even $5 donations can really add up over a a whole year! This money will go directly to The Conservation Fund and the American Birding Association as explained on the blog - I won't touch or receive a cent of it. I am hoping to ensure that the wild place we love to go (and take photos!) will be there long into the future.

OK, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have a look at the blog. Visit early and visit often! I will be updating it as often as I can. I plan to have my 7D, 100-400, and 17-40 with me, so I should capture lots of photos as I bounce around the country. I have also been gifted a GoPro camera and plan to video tape a fair amount of the birding action......stay tuned!

Again, the blog is http://bikingforbirds.blogspot.com

As a side note I will be replacing the great gray owl photo with a photo of me on the bike in the next few days. The text will be much clearer once I do this.

Lastly, if you live ANYWHERE near the route as outlined below and would be willing to let me crash on your floor or couch, please send me a PM or contact me at [email protected]. This year is just as much about the people who I will meet as the birds I will see. I want YOU to be a part of this story!

OK, I gotta get back to work, there's still a lot to do!

Thanks for the time!

Dorian Anderson
Boston MA

a rough outline/timeline of the ideal route........

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:30 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Best of luck Dorian!! Sounds like quite an adventure, and glad to hear you're raising money for conservation.

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:20 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Have a wonderful time Droian. We will be watching

Morris

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:59 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Have a great journey. Looks like it will be quite the adventure.

Geoff

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Fantastic! If you make a detour to WA let me know and we can do some riding!

Brian

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:45 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Wow - it's so close now Dorian. Your Blog link is saved and I'm looking forward to following your exploits. Good luck and stay safe
David

Dec 23, 2013 at 05:54 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Best of luck to you Dorian!! What a marvelous undertaking, I'm jealous I wish you a safe journey and the kindness of others along the way. I'll see if I can somehow hook up with you along your route.

Tim

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:45 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Hi Dorian,
Wow can't imagine doing this!!! You rock!!
I bookmarked your link!
Best of luck!! Take care and stay safe!!!
BeeBalm

Edited on Dec 23, 2013 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM
braam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Dorian, you are an adventurer at heart. Wish you safe pedaling, many moments of providence, and warm reception on your route. We'll be watching and living your journey through your words and pictures. Best wishes,

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:06 PM
svopen
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Sounds like quite an adventure. I'll be looking forward to your updates. Good luck and safe travels.

Dec 23, 2013 at 03:54 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Biking for Birds 2014 Blog Launch!!!

Dorian, I'm wishing you all the best with your project,
save travels and I just bookmarked your blog.
Chris

Dec 23, 2013 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.