New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 580EX problem

Ben Amato
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 580EX problem

This is kind of confusing but here goes. I want to fire a Canon 580EXll and Canon 580EX both off camera with a pocket wizard on the camera. Therefore I am using a pocket wizard connected to the 580EXll. It fires fine as long as I have the master off. But I want to fire the 580EX as a slave. Therefore I need to set the 580EXll on Master, Correct?

ID MKIV with pocket wizard set to channel 1(Hotshoe mount)
580EXll with pocket wizard set to channel 1 (using synch cord) Only fires from PW if I have master off.
580 EX set to slave

So what am I missing. Thanks for all your help.

Ben

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:23 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 580EX problem

Ben Amato wrote:
...I want to fire a Canon 580EXll and Canon 580EX both off camera with a pocket wizard on the camera. Therefore I am using a pocket wizard connected to the 580EXll. ...I need to set the 580EXll on Master, Correct?

Nope.

In order to work as a Master, a Speedlite needs to be connected to the camera via the multiple communication pins. Essentially if it's not on the camera or connected via an ETTL Cable it won't work as a Master.

In your case the best choice would probably be to get another PW receiver for the other Speedlite, and have both Speedlites set to Manual Power and Normal (not Master or Slave) modes.

If you want to be able to control the power of the remote flashes from the camera you need to move up to ETTL-capable radios like the Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 and Flex TT5, or -- my current favorite -- the Yongnuo YN622C.

You can also use a camera-mounted Speedlite or Transmitter ST-E2 as an optical Master, but radio links are generally a better option.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 580EX problem

Can't he just set the 580EX as a slave (programmed manually) and it will activate off of the light from the 580EXII flash?

I have 2 580EX2s and 1 580EX. I have done this, using the 580EX in manual mode and slaved via the "flash" of the 580EX2 - note that the 580EX in this case needs to be in manual (ettl doesn't work for this flash in this set-up).

I am no expert - so please understand that this may not be the "best" way, but it has worked for me.

Dec 24, 2013 at 09:32 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 580EX problem

kzoockof wrote:
Can't he just set the 580EX as a slave (programmed manually) and it will activate off of the light from the 580EXII flash? I have 2 580EX2s and 1 580EX. I have done this...

But you had the "Master" Speedlite in the camera's hot shoe, didn't you? The Master receives data from the camera via the ETTL communication pins, even in Manual mode, not just a simple sync through the center pin. The Master then sends multiple command and control pulses to the slave(s), not just s simple flash pulse, to trigger the slaves, even in Manual mode. In this case, the OP is using the Speedlites triggered by Pocket Wizards, which do not have these command and control connections, so no, it won't work.

BTW, I don't know why you haven't been able to get your 580EX to work in wireless ETTL mode; I use a multiple-Speedlite setup all the time, and can use Manual or ETTL as I wish. It's a creative choice, not a technical one.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 580EX problem

The master slave functions only apply when your using canons wireless system,! Once you add the pocket wizard, I'm assuming your using the ttl05 Flex on both Speedlights If not you need to and leave the speedlites set to ETTL a ns you will not have a problem. AFAIK the two systems do not work together If you are using a different radio like the plus series or MultiMax the the speedlites need to be in manual mode and you will have to adjust the speedlites individually and at the Speedlite. If you are using the Pocket Wizard Control the Light radios mini and flex with the speedlites set to ETTL mode you have total control over the speedlites you put a mini or flex on the camera and a flex on each speedlites.you add in the ac3 Zone Controler you have 3 zones of light one zone can be set to a for auto witch is the Ettl mode the next could be set to manual ans the last could be turned off. The nice thing is you control the power of the speedlites from the camera up or down 3stops in third of a stop increments.

I hope the helps learning to use the different Pocket Wizard radios and the ac3 zone Controler .

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.