New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Probably buying this tripod/ballhead combo

SwampYankee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Probably buying this tripod/ballhead combo

Been shopping around a bit and reading reviews. I have a Canon 5DIII, use a Black Rapid strap, and my biggest lens is a 70-200 f4IS. I want a rock steady tripod and a ball head that will not strip. My current tripod is 30 years old. I want this to be the last tripod I buy for a while. My proposed combo is a Induro CT-213 8X Carbon Tripod with a Induro Tripod BHL2 head. Runners up (or alternatives are: Manfrotto MT190CXPRO33, Manfrotto MH054M0-Q5 054 head or a Kirk Enterprises BH-3 head). I think the combo I have chosen has a decent price/performance ratio. What do you think of my selections and alternatives?

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Probably buying this tripod/ballhead combo

I have the CT 213 and think it great. With the current 25% off until mid-January, it is a steal at $292. I bought the BHL-3 and returned it because I didn't like how the tensioning screw works. Others love it. I use an Acratech ball head on my CT 213 and it is a rock so;lid set up.

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:09 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Probably buying this tripod/ballhead combo

With one notable exception, few tripod manufacturers also make good ballheads. This BHL-2 has the main locking knob on the right side with the drop slot facing forward, which means when you are holding the camera to orient it you must use your left hand. To me that's inconvenient as most grips on cameras are on the right side so I would want the ball locking knob on the left side of the ball housing.

The stem on the ball of this head has a boss that appears to be a copy of the boss on the Arca-Swiss Z1. It can be tough to find clamps to fit on that stem, I know as I use a Z1. That's something to consider if you want to get a lever release clamp for it.

Also I think it's expensive at around $250-260, and I have no idea of the ball diameter as the manufacturer doesn't specify it. You're in the Acratech or Photo Clam 40-44mm ball diameter range at that price.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:52 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Probably buying this tripod/ballhead combo

Don't forget the "PhotoOtaku" coupon code for an additional 10%.

I like the induro tripods. I have an AT313, that is built like a tank. I also use the BHD2 with generally very good results. I've been interested in trying the BHL heads, but the price puts them in the range of some other really nice heads.

Coming from the Astrophotography world, I tend to want a lot more stability than is typically required for general photography.

Eric

Dec 23, 2013 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.