Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

On a sunny day in May last year I was looking for orchids when I came across two of these perching on young trees at the edges of a clearing and occasionally flying at each other. The males of this species Libellula depressa have a powder blue abdomen. (Chasers are known elsewhere as Skimmers).

My lens had recently developed a stiffness in the focusing helicoid, such that I could not focus further than about 7m. I had to shuffle forward on my knees to get close enough.

This is a 50% crop. The wings were not flat but were partly folded, and thus rather three-dimensional. This often happens if the dragonfly has been settled for more than a brief time.

Olympus E-P2, Leitz Elmarit 60mm macro, f8 1/160 ISO 320, hand-held.

Harold

Harold Gough 2013

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:23 PM
coder
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

Nice looking dragon.

A difficult shot to take with that busy background. Detail in the dragon could benefit a bit from a smaller aperture, but that would make the background even more busy. Sometimes the land where they land and you gotta take what they give you

Maybe a bit of blur from hand holding? Do you use a monopod or tripod at all?

Processing is a bit overdone - too contrasty and saturated, IMHO.

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:43 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

coder wrote:
Nice looking dragon.

A difficult shot to take with that busy background. Detail in the dragon could benefit a bit from a smaller aperture, but that would make the background even more busy. Sometimes the land where they land and you gotta take what they give you

Maybe a bit of blur from hand holding? Do you use a monopod or tripod at all?

Processing is a bit overdone - too contrasty and saturated, IMHO.

Thanks, Coder.

I recall making several approaches to each of the two females. This one was by "walking" on my knees and resting on them during the shot. Any unsteadiness would have been from by suffering knees! Totally hand-held. The background was not difficult for manual focus but would have confused the 4/3 AF zoom I occasionally use.

I did quite a lot of processing to get the venation fairly well-defined. You may prefer this softer version.

Harold

Harold Gough 2013

Dec 23, 2013 at 03:22 PM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

Nice shot! Better #2 version

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:33 PM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

Very nice it's difficult with dragonflies sometimes they often perch in bushy areas
Ive only got a handful of shots of broad bodied chasers they're not that common in my area and the males especially are difficult to approach

Jan 03, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

LCPete wrote:
Very nice it's difficult with dragonflies sometimes they often perch in bushy areas
Ive only got a handful of shots of broad bodied chasers they're not that common in my area and the males especially are difficult to approach

Thanks. I agree about the males. However, near water, they are more likely to perch on the ground or close to ground level. You have to be in position when they land and then minimise your movements. I find that they may have several landing spots, within a few meters of each other, in the same location.

Harold

Jan 03, 2014 at 08:32 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

e6filmuser wrote:
Thanks. I agree about the males. However, near water, they are more likely to perch on the ground or close to ground level. You have to be in position when they land and then minimise your movements. I find that they may have several landing spots, within a few meters of each other, in the same location.

Harold

Thanks Harold for the advice will try again in the spring I've found a new site close to home hop full will get lucky

Jan 03, 2014 at 01:51 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

A simple stick cut for strength, thickness, height and skinned would help with stability and also provide some relief from gravity - having the extra 'leg' to rest on.

Mine is a dense wood, around thumb thickness along the length, shoulder high and smooth.

Jan 17, 2014 at 02:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

MarkB1 wrote:
A simple stick cut for strength, thickness, height and skinned would help with stability and also provide some relief from gravity - having the extra 'leg' to rest on.

Mark, That is sometghing I have been intending to implement as regular practice but old habits...

Harold

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:25 AM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Broad-Bodied Chaser: Territorial female

LCPete wrote:

Re: Dragonflies in general:

Listen to Radio 4 "Nature" 9.00 to 9.30 pm on Monday.

Harold

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password