New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Hello - I've been looking at NEC's site and did some Googling, and have not hit on an answer so until I can contact NEC directly, does anyone have an idea why I can't adjust my brightness? The buttons with the menu, etc on the bottom right are working, because I can access and "select" those adjustments. But it will not click or open or let me select the brightness button.

I've noticed that prints are coming out somewhat dark, and since I recently calibrated the panel, I wanted to check the brightness. (I am brand new to printing so I have no previous experience with "good" prints.) It's not the new generation of these panels - what else can I tell you? I definitely am missing something. Thanks

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:19 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

which NEC 27 panel did you get?

Once the panel is calibrated (you *ARE* (!!!!!!!!!) using the NEC Spectraview software, right??), changing the brightness invalidates the calibration. if the prints are 'dark', then go back and recalibrate w/ a lower display brightness. For many, the oft-recommended 120 is too bright (I end up using something like 90-100 but YMMV).

Also, get yourself of a copy of the (free), NEC 'Multiprofiler' software (www.necdisplay.com) if you want to be able to adjust the panel but not have to go through a whole calibration cycle.

Edit: The 'Hot Key' function MUST be ON for the monitor front-panel rocker switch to be able to adjust the Brightness (this is noted in the manual).

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Yes, used the NEC software. The thing is, I can't go back and recalibrate with a lower display brightness because I can't access the brightness function. ALso not sure what you mean by the Hot Key function. I keep seeing other threads about display brightness with varying recommendations, so how does this work if then you must recalibrate? I am really missing something! Thanks Howard!

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Sharona, are you using Spectravision?
If so, go to Target Settings, Edit and you can adjust your target brightness there. Also, you can save multiple calibrated settings for computer view, printing, sRGB, etc. And, as Howard said, you can quickly shift setting choices with MultiProfiler afterwards.
Scott

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

if you used the NEC software, you set the target brightness IN the Spectraview software and the calibration will make make that level of brightness happen. For photo use, there is never any need to adjust brightness outside of the calibration software. These PA series monitors are not like your garden variety LCDs. They have lots of intelligence and you do not just go changing brightness. Brightness and calibration are linked together (as is gamma and black point ie. contrast) in order to get the screen to match what comes out of the printer.

re: Hot Key. it's a setting in the monitor that turns on/off the ability to use the little rocker switches on the front panel. Case in point example, if you use the monitor in a 'family' situation, you'd want to turn off the Hot Key function so your son doesn't crank up the brightness to nuclear.

As far as recommendations for brightness, the correct value is whatever it takes to get the print to match screen. for average living rooms etc, it's 90-100, in somewhat brighter environments, it's upwards of 120-140 or so. There's no hard-n-fast rule.

Get a cup of coffee and read this..............
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Thanks Howard. I'm on my way out but will read when I get back!

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

You'll want to use your monitor at 120 Cd/m2 or so for normal use so that bright photos actually look bright, but for print matching you'll use the brightness of the print viewing room - in my case 90Cd/m2 even for a brightly lit room with 160W of fluoro lighting. There are still some fundamental problems with matching prints to monitors because a monitor is a source of light whereas a print is not. A printed photo of a lightbulb will never light up a room.

The secret for maximising success is to use the spectraview II software to create a profile for all brightness levels that you may need to use. If you make allowances for the different contrast of matte vs glossy paper and different brands of paper or inks then you'll want even more profiles. The more you need, the more you'll appreciate the benefits of using Spectraview II.

In Australia the Spectraview II software is an optional extra even for the official "spectraview" monitors but I think it is standard in the rest of the world. Either way, be sure not to use other software if Specraview II is available. That includes whatever software comes with your profiling puck because that software can only alter the lookup tables in the computer graphics card whereas a much better result is achieved by using Spectraview II to play with the lookup tables in the monitor. More than that, the puck software cannot alter the screen brightness directly - instead it just guides you to make the screen brighter or dimmer as Sharon was trying to do, and you have to set the right brightness every time you change profile. Spectraview II overcomes these problems.

If you have used Spectraview II and are still not satisfied with the result then repeat the exercise. The reasoning behind this is that the software allows only so much time to actually measure each colour. Normally this is ample but perhaps not always. If in doubt do it again. The second attempt is starting from a more accurate colour value and will very likely home in on the true value in the allotted time.

- Alan

Dec 24, 2013 at 07:50 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Since I've setup my workspace w/ fairly dim lighting (except for the Solux lamp I use post-printing print evaluation), I just leave my setup (NEC PA and an iMac) @ 90 cd/m2.

One other point is that you'll want to bring the contrast ratio down. In the Spectraview s/w, you can specify the ratio or the black point (whitepoint / blackpoint = contrast_ratio) as paper is somewhere approx 200-300 or thereabouts vs. the 600-900 'stock' contrast ratio.

And one of the under-appreciated and oft-overlooked features of the panel is the ability to load a PAPER profile and have the panel do softproofing directly (even in split screen or PIP).

I believe there is a setting/preference in the software that allows more time for the panel to stabilize and another setting for using more sampling colors (essentially creates a finer grid).

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

Thanks you guys. I need to reload the software and take a closer look. I was told all I needed to do was place the puck and let the software do its thing, so I didn't mess with any of it. Thanks again! (And yes, I am using the puck and software that came with the monitor, Spectraview.)

Dec 24, 2013 at 09:33 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

definitely go through the Spectraview sw manual regarding setting up profiling targets (the pulldown at the top of the window and the 3-4 buttons to the right of that pulldown which let you tweak/edit settings)

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adjusting brightness on NEC 27-inch panel

I have 2 NEC monitors and both with Spectraview II....Follow all the suggestions above and you can control the brightness.
Dan

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.