FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Teepees at Dawn

DonH
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teepees at Dawn

A new-found friend on another forum gave me a golden ticket to North Coyote Buttes (the Wave) for the end of November. As luck would have it, a snow storm came through there a couple of days before we were to arrive and, according to the BLM (with pictures for verification), House Rock Rd was a quagmire. Well, not to be daunted, we decided to take House Rock from the south. Unfortunately, because of the slide that closed Hwy 89, we couldn't just go the easy way through Page so had to approach it from the west through Jacob Lake. We were also told that Jacob Lake had been snowed in but we decided to disregard this discouraging bit of information.

So, taking the road less-traveled, we decided to car camp at Cottonwood Cove, just outside the S. Coyote Buttes, then hike in to N. Coyote Buttes the next morning. Pre-dawn found us at South Teepees where this was taken.

http://lightfantasticphotography.com/fm/131126_00050.jpg

Edited on Dec 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2013 at 09:48 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teepees at Dawn

Hey Don,

How cool! And way to go with persevering on getting in there. House Rock Road can turn crazy bad pretty easily, so I don't doubt just how bad that was. I like this view of the Tee Pees. There are actually not very many good shots of them, but yours I think places among the best I have seen from there.

Jim

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teepees at Dawn

Don, you've never been a person who is easy to stop. There was a photo op and your determination is tough, too. That's what it takes to make THE image. Very nice.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teepees at Dawn

Thanks Jim. I've never seen a sunrise shot from here. Perhaps it's because of its remoteness, the need for a permit, or other competing features. I don't know. When the first light hit, though, it really lit up.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:08 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teepees at Dawn

Jeffrey, I also had a permit to S. Coyote Buttes which, essentially, went unused because of the weather. We decided to visit Bryce instead and found that it had just gotten 18" of new snow. I'll post a shot from there later. We didn't get to Cottonwood Cove until late afternoon and then only had a chance to set up camp and shoot the Chess Queen in late light.

The most memorable part of the journey there was meeting up with a working cowboy herding cows on the "road" in. Of course I stopped but that wasn't enough for him. The cows were scattering and he was yelling every 4-letter word he could think of my way (he had an extensive grasp of that part of the language) as he and his horse worked back and forth across the road in front of me trying to gather the cattle together. I remember wondering if he was carrying a gun. Finally I realized that he was demanding that I turn my engine off which, of course, I did. That horse of his sure was incredible.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teepees at Dawn

Pics of the cowboy and his horse would be great!

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teepees at Dawn

Sorry, Jeffrey, I wasn't exactly prepared for that. Now, if I could have asked him to wait then gotten my gear out of the back of the vehicle then I could have.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:19 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teepees at Dawn

Love those teepees, Don. I've started keeping my Fuji XPro1 on the seat next to me with a little beanbag for the window. Made some decent stuff out the window handheld!

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:18 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teepees at Dawn

"Chance favors the prepared ..."

Sounds like you are prepared whereas I wasn't. Lesson learned.

Dec 24, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teepees at Dawn

Darn, and I learned that from YOU! Still one of my favs.

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:31 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.