New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · compact flash reader

ngaio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · compact flash reader

I also use the Transcend. It's been awesome. And an important point for me -- that probably applies to know one else here -- is that it works flawlessly under Linux. I process my photos in Windows but I wrote my own program for importing photos in Linux.

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:03 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · compact flash reader

melcat wrote:
Given how poor the CF interface is, I consider Dan's advice to cheap out very bad.

Related to the bent pin issue, this is a shortcoming with the design of the CF card hardware interface, in my view. (The more recent alternate card formats don't have this problem.)

Even with good card readers - and I have owned brand names as well - you have to exercise some caution. Heck, you have to be a bit careful putting the cards into your Canon camera, judging by the periodic stories of bent pins there.

That said, there is wild variability among the designs of the readers concerning how well the card is directed toward the pins - to some extent among the expensive readers and perhaps to a greater extent among the discount units. However, if you look at a few of either you'll find that there are some with a more reliable design. The one I currently use is a "cheapie," but it has solid channel guides and the card slips in firmly. I've been using it for 2-3 years now, at least, without a problem.

The pin interface is, in my view, a real weakness of the CF card system.

Take care,

Dan

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Vincentwong

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · compact flash reader

When I convert to 7D recently, I was in the market shopping for a CF Card reader and the best I found locally here is this http://www.cliptec.com/asia/product_red/rzr362.html. I still considered this a no name though a better no name. Haven't had any issue with it and cost similarly to the Transcend reader. To order anything better i can either order from the States and cost 3 times your usual cost (the other two times is postage, insurance and import) or I can get at similar cost from China but at a huge risk of being a fake.

I think the bigger issue here would be, look for one which allow you to insert your card further into the slot. This will ensure a more precise position to guide the pin in safely to avoid bend pins. Buying a more expensive reader does not guarantee anything but one stand a better chance from failure, generally.

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · compact flash reader

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I have the transcend usb3 reader . Works a charm

+1

When you can get the latest card readers from brand names for $ 10-25, why be cheap to save $ 5-10

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · compact flash reader

StarNut wrote:
That's the one I use; fast and easy.

That one also.
My third card reader so far.
By far the best and for me, worth the extra dough.
My previous cheap card reader was fine when I was transferring 8GB cards. I would simply walk away and come back in a few minutes and it would be done. But now with the 32GB and 64GB cards, they would take way too long. You may have guessed that I'm really impatient and rather not see it working in the background while I'm on my computer.

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:10 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · compact flash reader

I have a pair of the Kingston USB 3.0 multi-card readers. Very fast and the price is great.

Dec 24, 2013 at 06:59 AM
Brendan ONeill
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · compact flash reader

Thanks for the responses. I decided to buy the Lexar. It's a big upgrade from the one I have now which I bought years ago for sub 20 bucks. The case fell off the circuit board (a while ago) and I'm risking static shock to the memory and computer every time I used it. Figured it was time to replace it.

Dec 24, 2013 at 07:10 AM
CbJohn
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · compact flash reader

I guess I'm late in putting my two bits in. The Lexar card reader that everyone seems to love died on me within 6 months. Very disappointing. I picked up the Anker USB 3.0 multi card reader for $15.99 and have been happy ever since. The form factor is smaller, easier to carry with you in your computer bag.
John

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:54 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · compact flash reader

Still rockin' my Sandisk FW800 reader, bent pin and all. Though I did recently pick up a Lexar "Professional" USB 3.0 as a backup unit should "old reliable" eventually fail me.

Dec 24, 2013 at 08:30 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · compact flash reader

if you are using firewire or have firewire, i have been using this with good success:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delock-FireWire-800-to-UDMA-CompactFlash-Drive-Read-Writer-CF-Sandisk-Extreme-/271218816429?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item3f25e6b5ad

Dec 24, 2013 at 09:38 PM
docnlaw24
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · compact flash reader

Transcend usb3 reader for me as well. Pairs nicely with my Transcend card. USB3 makes a difference!

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · compact flash reader

Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · compact flash reader

I have three older USB card readers that have worked fine for me and when I upgraded my desktop computer last month, I ordered a new no-name USB 3 internal card reader (to fit in a 3.5" floppy drive slot) that plugs into a spare USB 3 connector on the motherboard. Works great, though I wish they made a version that had lighted slots to make it easier to see in darker environments.

Dec 25, 2013 at 01:01 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · compact flash reader

I use two USB 3 lexar dual slot memory card readers that replaces my two sandisk FireWire and two sandisk USB 2 dual slot memory card readers.

I hope this will be the last compact flash reader I will be buying that is USB 3.

Now, adorama and bhphoto appears to have a sale ongoing for two 32gb lexar 1000x cf cards going for $200.

Something you may want to consider seeming these cards are so large already and ssd is quickly replacing mechanical hdd.

Dec 25, 2013 at 06:07 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · compact flash reader

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I have the transcend usb3 reader . Works a charm

Bingo. Have used it for 1.5 years now without a single problem. Excellent card reader. I remember seeing that it tested faster than the lexar but don't have the time to look it up at this moment.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.