Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

DejanS
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Hi all, I recently got a cover on the January issue of Velo Magazine, the largest bike racing magazine in North America, and one of the top in the world. I've had covers on smaller magazines, but here is what makes this cool for me...I spent 30 years in the peloton racing across North America, grew up in the racing scene reading this magazine and dreaming about "me" being on the cover, but never made it. Now, I work professionally and have my stuff published frequently, and I finally make the cover but from behind the lens. Hard work does pay off.

Anyways, in this photo, I was shooting for another cycling media outlet (no overlapping coverage) during the Leadville 100 MTB race in Leadville, Colorado. My assignment was to cover the top 6 men and women during the race and the finish. I did not know the course very well, so I was moving around where there was easy access with my Jeep and gear. I set up where I could see the riders several minutes out, in an open area where I could capture a scenic race shot with a mountainous background, and capture individual action shots as they were grinding their way up a single track. I use some backlighting to give me some natural rim lighting, and a Alien Bee1600 w/PocketWizard TT1 & TT5 combo for fill on an carbon fiber tripod. After a good 30 minutes of shooting, I moved to the finish where the race director gave me a ride on the course to meet the lead moto so I could get a moto ride to follow in the lead rider to the finish, which happened to be Alban Lakata (Topeak Ergon). Thanks for looking!

Dejan

Edited on Dec 21, 2013 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Congrats Dejan! That's a great shot and a great story too. Thanks for sharing the back story. Are you going to have a copy framed?

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:48 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Rick VB wrote:
Congrats Dejan! That's a great shot and a great story too. Thanks for sharing the back story. Are you going to have a copy framed?

Thanks Rick. It also happened to be my first writing gig. Anyways, not sure if I'll frame it. Just an e-copy in my portfolio works. However, if I can get a cover on Sports Illustrated, then yes...I'll frame it (hint hint SI ;-) )

Dejan

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:57 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Congrats on the achievement.

Dec 21, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Congratulations! Long time cyclist and photo bug here.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MTB Racing - VeloNews Cover

Very cool! I had subscriptions to VN all the way back to the days of Big Mig, and love it. That's a great accomplishment.

Bob

Dec 28, 2013 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.