Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

VinnieJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

Thought this was an interesting video coming from someone who does not prefer DSLRs. It definitely reflects my opinions about the Df and I think other owners would agree.

http://youtu.be/9RuyPHajPnA

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
fsiagian
• • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

Very interesting article in his site.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

More and more I want to try one but that's an annoying video - constant flirting with the camera body up close and minimal depth of field equals almost nothing in focus at all times. Would have been much better with constant camera position and focused on a pair of hands showing off the camera and its handling.

Dec 21, 2013 at 01:16 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

workerdrone wrote:
More and more I want to try one but that's an annoying video - constant flirting with the camera body up close and minimal depth of field equals almost nothing in focus at all times. Would have been much better with constant camera position and focused on a pair of hands showing off the camera and its handling.

Actually that's how most of his videos are. At least worth listening to?

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:52 AM
BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

This is a camera best tried out at a shop, with your favorite lenses. I went in with the Vivitar 135/2.3, came out with the Kit. The Vivitar was $60, about 10 years ago. Really like that lens.

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I am loving this df. So much fun and amazing quality files.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:06 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

His web site review is annoying, too much boasting. Why not try one at a local shop, and buy there too.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I've always like his review style. Real photos instead of charts is so much easier to digest. It is a little annoying reading his rants of him defending himself all the time. Screw those people and just keep your reviews how you like Steve!

Video is not his background, but his site can really benefit from better video reviews.

That said, I could easily live with a Df and my AI-s lenses, but the price is still much too high. Besides the price, no 1/8000th shutter speed, no viewfinder cover, no split focus screen and killing points for me.

I'll hold on to my D700 till the next iteration comes along.

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:01 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I'm renting one to see for myself.....reviews will drive you nuts...

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I like the styling. Price I don't care for. I usually don't go by what others say about cameras because what works for some doesn't work for all. Def going to a shop to check it out is the way to go.

It's funny he says the d800 is heavy its a hair lighter than his d700.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #11 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I've been wanting a D4 since it was released but just couldn't justify getting one since it's a lot more camera than I really need. When the Df was announced I was intrigued by the fact that it had the same sensor as the D4. I went ahead and bought a Df because I was in the market for a new camera and now that I have one I have to say that I love the way it feels and handles. It's definitely not the camera for everyone but it fits my needs and I love using it.

Dpedraza wrote:
I like the styling. Price I don't care for. I usually don't go by what others say about cameras because what works for some doesn't work for all. Def going to a shop to check it out is the way to go.

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:24 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

Dpedraza wrote:

I'm surprised he still owns a D700.

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:48 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I'll probably get flamed for this, but ... boy ... that is one ugly camera; a hodge podge of design elements that look like they came out of a committee (and probably did).

And it's about as transparent a marketing idea (as opposed to an idea that originated with their camera designers) as I've ever seen in my long, twisty, turny photography & design careers. I mean ... really ... manual controls on a digital DSLR? A rangefinder, yes. DLSR? No.

So it's smaller and lighter. Great. So is the Canon 6D (relative to their other FF DSLRs, but they had the good sense to move the design clock forward rather than backward). You can shoot at ISO 6400. Wow (like no other camera can shoot at ISO 6400; besides, how often do you do that?).

I know, I know. You love it. You want it. You're going to buy one. It's a "modern" version of the classic Nikon fs and the D4 all rolled into one ... which means it's neither. And I, for one, am not sure WHAT it is, except that it's a $3,000 really ugly camera.

- Steve

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:29 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

veroman wrote:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but ... boy ... that is one ugly camera; a hodge podge of design elements that look like they came out of a committee (and probably did).

And it's about as transparent a marketing idea (as opposed to an idea that originated with their camera designers) as I've ever seen in my long, twisty, turny photography & design careers. I mean ... really ... manual controls on a digital DSLR? A rangefinder, yes. DLSR? No.

So it's smaller and lighter. Great. So is the Canon 6D (relative to their other FF DSLRs, but they had
...Show more

No flaming because aesthetics are very subjective.

While I think most DSLRs produced these days look nice they are a bit boring. I hope Nikon continues this styling and produces a DX version as well. Maybe with the smaller sensor it can be made to match the actual size of the older Nikon F's.

As far as what I consider to be "ugly" would be anything produced by Sony with the exception of the RX10. You would need to put a lot of lipstick on those pigs for me to think they are nice looking.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:47 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

veroman wrote:

Depends on what angle you're looking at it. You're right about the controls on a DSLR; the disconnect between the manual controls and absence of a MF lens-optimized focusing screen is what I don't get.

veroman wrote:
So it's smaller and lighter. Great. So is the Canon 6D (relative to their other FF DSLRs, but they had the good sense to move the design clock forward rather than backward). You can shoot at ISO 6400. Wow (like no other camera can shoot at ISO 6400; besides, how often do you do that?).

Smaller and lighter is a giant step forward, especially for those used to lugging around a D2/3/4 or a D700/800 with a grip and expecting bloat with every iteration.

ISO 6400? Probably more often than you might think when you start seeing the Night as an ally and your f/2.8 zoom no longer the limiting factor.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:59 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.1 #16 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

My neighbor asked that I look at his camera, he wasn't getting sharp results from it. Somewhere, deep down a Menu selection that I stumbled across by pushing as many buttons as possible, the setting for the "RANGEFINDER" was "OFF". Set it "ON" and all of a sudden, his D3100 started autofocusing the AF-S lens properly. He asked what I did to fix it, "Pushed buttons at random until it did what I wanted".

It is not intuitive to label the "AF" as a "Rangefinder". My SP has a rangefinder, my M9 has a rangefinder.

I prefer the controls on the Df.

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:01 PM
robert829
• • •
p.1 #17 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

One more month and she's mine

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:55 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I went to the camera store the other day and handled one. I'm unsure.

I've got no issues with the price at all. What I'm after is pure handling, and a lot of what the Df has comes off as a gimmick to me. I'd like to have one to play with long-term to see how I really liked it when I settled in, but more and more I think I'll eventually wind up with a D700 or a D3s.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #19 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

I like the Df, the only thing that bothers me is the focus points being all bunched in the middle of the frame. I'm trying to decide wether I could live with that. Maybe someone else that purchased the camera and is using it could comment on the bunching of the focus points.
It's also interesting that NPS does not consider this camera a pro camera

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:15 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #20 · Nikon Df - Steve Huff's thoughts

david debalko wrote:
I like the Df, the only thing that bothers me is the focus points being all bunched in the middle of the frame. I'm trying to decide wether I could live with that. Maybe someone else that purchased the camera and is using it could comment on the bunching of the focus points.
It's also interesting that NPS does not consider this camera a pro camera

You should be able to tell from your own shooting habits on whether or not this would be an issue for you. 90% of the time I shoot center, single focus point. The other 10% of the time I still use single focus point and manually move it to help with composition. I haven't had any issues in that regard but I also rarely shoot wider than 35mm. It will vary from shooter to shooter.

I also shoot with a D7100 and in 2x crop mode the focus points cover the entire viewfinder. I rarely use all the focus points. Sure it's a nice option but not a requirement for me.

Dec 23, 2013 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password