Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

Orlov
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I am using a product table that is pretty tall and I need a tripod that has the horizontally moving mid section so that I can get the camera aiming above the piece of jewelry and shoot straight down on it. I was looking at this Manfrotto one, is this the best option? I am using a 5d3 with the 100L macro.

055XPROB

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

The link below might help, good luck, jewelry photography can be tough

Product Photography FAQ
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/TTS_FAQ.html

Cheers,
Jerry

Dec 21, 2013 at 01:27 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I think that tripod should work, but you'll want a ball head for it as well.

I was going to suggest looking at a Gitzo that is similar but I think is easier to adjust. I have the aluminum version and I really like it. But I see they now only offer it in carbon fiber, and it's almost $1000 (I paid about $250). So never mind.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631133-REG/Gitzo_GK2550EXQR_GK2550XQR_3_Section_Explorer_Carbon.html

Mark

Dec 21, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I have a 055XPROB with that camera and lens and it's great - you don't get top-of-the-line build quality at that price, as in rigidity, but it's a very useful tripod.

In use make sure it is set up well, sandbag it if you have to, and let it settle after making adjustments. Use liveview and an RC-6 wireless remote and you'll be in business.

p.s. And I use this head: http://www.manfrotto.com/standard-3-way-head

Dec 21, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

ive got a bh-55, so I think paired with this and a sandbag I should be good to go.

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

You probably will want a rail too. It's pretty tricky to make fine adjustments at high magnification using the ball head and center column.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:40 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

Good point. I have two rails I bought off eBay - they're not the easiest to use, but they are cheap.

Dec 21, 2013 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rkgatteleport
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I haven't tried the manfrotto tripod you're talking about, though I've used others (Gitzo 2220), etc. they're OK, but they often don't go out far enough, plus you have to watch the balance (story about putting tilt shift lens through a piece of glass deleted).

If you want to get one of these side arm tripods to just try, note that amazon has the 190xprob as one of their daily deals today...

I normally do a couple of things: one is to build up a gantry with a rail, a couple of autopoles, superclamps, ball heads, etc. The other is to use one of these on a regular tripod:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554331-REG/Manfrotto_131DB_131D_Lateral_Side_Arm.html

I like these because I can put them on any tripod (READ: heavier duty than you can get with most of the side arm tripods), and you can screw a shaft into the un-used end so you can counterbalance the rig more easily.

Also, if you're shooting down a lot or from a specific position, look into a geared head (manfrotto 410, etc) - they're a lot faster than going through the usual "adjust, tighten, see where the setup droops to, repeat" cycle that you get with ball heads.

Good Luck,

rkg
(Richard George)

Orlov wrote:
I am using a product table that is pretty tall and I need a tripod that has the horizontally moving mid section so that I can get the camera aiming above the piece of jewelry and shoot straight down on it. I was looking at this Manfrotto one, is this the best option? I am using a 5d3 with the 100L macro.

055XPROB

Dec 21, 2013 at 06:09 PM
YonathanZ
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I have a Benro A2970T (like A2970F but with twist lock). It ROCKS. Built like a tank and does all kinds of funny angles. It does more angles than the Manfrotto 055X prob (or whatever it's called).

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqD7v9mKPY

I paid $170 for mine with free shipping all the way from china to Israel. Yes, Benro is made in China (and IS a Chinese company afaik). But man it is stable and versatile and just plain great. You even get a free carrying case with it.

Also, I use a Fancier 6664H. Just $40 on amazon or ebay or wherever. Rock-stable as well and the price is super for the weight it is able to hold.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I'm no expert at macro but from my little experience I would suggest maybe looking at a geared head? Maybe the manfrotto 410 junior geared head? you could also look at some macro rails on a ball head. As for legs I would suggest something with a centre column that can be locked at 90 degree like the 055xprob you mentioned

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:42 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

I bought a cheap set of rails from eBay. Worthless. If I get back into jewelry photography, I would look at a Really Right Stuff set of rails.

Table and floor vibration is often a problem. Think about your studio - cement floor with a massive work table is good. Upstairs in a wooden house, not so good.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

Orlov wrote:

055XPROB

Your choice will be more than sufficient, it is strong and perfectly suited to your work.

The DSLR controller app would make life easy when critical focus is essential. http://dslrcontroller.com/

Enjoy

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:30 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which tripod for Macro Jewelry Photography?

Once you try one of these, you'll never want to use a tripod in the studio again:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31598-USA/Linhof_003465_Studiomatic_II.html

Add the appropriate length cross-arm fitted with an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube geared head, and you're all set.

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password