Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

How do I get an assisting job?

tuanvo

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do I get an assisting job?

I was wondering what would be some great ways to get my foot in the door and land an photography assisting job in Los Angeles. Are there ways to specifically target studio photographers? At the moment, I am scrounging Craigslist, but I am very open to other outlets and methods of application as well.

I don't have experience in assisting, but I am capably fit and have worked with my own humble collection of studio lighting gear. I would need some training, but it is not as if I am starting from scratch.

Any suggestions and anecdotes are greatly appreciated!

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do I get an assisting job?

ASMP and APA are both active in Los Angeles. Go to their meetings, meet other assistants and photographers, and let them you're interested in assisting.

Commercial and editorial is a people business. Meet the people, get the business.

Or if retail portraiture is more your thing, PPA is also active there. Same advice applies.

Whatever your poison, the trade groups are a fantastic resource that everyone should avail themselves of. When you find the right one, become a dues-paying member, too. They're fighting you every day locally and in Washington, and it takes money to do that.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do I get an assisting job?

It's no different than any other job. Inquire about openings, send along cover letter, resume and portfolio.

Dec 21, 2013 at 09:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do I get an assisting job?

The suggestions above are great. In addition to that, particularly because you're in a major market area, you can research photographers whose work you admire, contact them directly and try to get someone to hire you as a second or third. Making friends at APA functions is really great because photographers are always asking assistants for someone else to help out. That networking does work.

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do I get an assisting job?

This is about commercial/Advertising and Editorial work. I don;t know about the portrait or wedding or other direct to consumer business. Bottom feeding photographers advertise on Craiglist and are not worth your effort.
As a beginner almost every time you work with a new photographer you are starting from scratch. The assistant market in LA is very tight as you might imagine. Most likely you would be hired as a second or third assistant. A few times when I was shooting in downtown LA someone would approach me or an assistant and introduce themselves as a new assistant or an experienced assistant looking for work...we did hire one a few times. On any given weekend you can usually find 5 or 6 large scale shoots going on downtown. Some are cranky some are nice...just don't be creepy.

For more of a long term plan try to get a job at one of the rental houses is a good way to meet a lot of assistants. And many out of town photographers ask who is a good assistant from the same place as they rent gear from.

Getting to know someone is the best way, resumes end up being filed, never to be seen again. Other assistants are often better than photogs, if the guy/gal I want is booked my first question is "do you recommend anyone?"

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:08 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do I get an assisting job?

Back in the film days it was easy to post notes on the labs bulletin boards. Now, I would go to APA, ASMP or other local meetings and introduce yourself. I would look at local photographers websites and find someone that shoots beautiful images and introduce yourself. You should not expect to make any money at first since you have little knowledge. But, it should not take long before you can start invoicing. It's all about how you do under pressure, completing a task quickly and being invisible. A photographer needs to be able to trust his assistants and then you start learning about lighting techniques, gear and then business.

Dec 25, 2013 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do I get an assisting job?

You've gotten some good advice. Like Peter, I graduated from Art Center College. I had the chance to do some assisting work for photographers like Sid Avery and Norman Seef. I good friend of mine, Ken Mitchell, was Annie Liebovitz's primary L.A. assistant.

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:06 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do I get an assisting job?

colinm wrote:
...They're fighting you every day locally and in Washington, and it takes money to do that.

Fighting [for] you, right? (I'd hope so!)

Jan 20, 2014 at 05:16 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do I get an assisting job?

Do your homework. Seek out the LA photographers who are flourishing and get on their radar by sending them an email expressing your desire to work with them. Sooner or later, one of their assistants will leave, be out sick or get fired, and that's when you'll get a call. I've had the same assistants for over ten years, so it can be hard to get in, but if you send a short email every three months letting them know you're available, they will remember your gentle tenacity and likely give you an interview.

Jan 27, 2014 at 03:25 PM
jmitch19711

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do I get an assisting job?

Deezie wrote:
Do your homework. Seek out the LA photographers who are flourishing and get on their radar by sending them an email expressing your desire to work with them. Sooner or later, one of their assistants will leave, be out sick or get fired, and that's when you'll get a call. I've had the same assistants for over ten years, so it can be hard to get in, but if you send a short email every three months letting them know you're available, they will remember your gentle tenacity and likely give you an interview.

This is good advice...take it very seriously. You have to remember these photographers work is their lively hood, while you are there to learn as we'll your main goal is to be helpful when needed and out of the way when your not. Good luck

Mar 01, 2014 at 01:24 AM
mdelrossi

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do I get an assisting job?

Pick up the phone.

Mar 03, 2014 at 02:16 PM
michaelaray

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do I get an assisting job?

I think the best way is to call or email the photographer you want to assist and let them know that you are willing to freelance assist. If need be, offer your services for a lower than market rate of "into rate" so that you have an "in".

Mar 10, 2014 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password