Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Here is another respected faculty member from my military series. I'd welcome any feedback you'd care to offer.

The rest of the series and more explanation is available here:
http://bainesphoto.com/index.php?/color/military/

And the color version:

Edited on Dec 21, 2013 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:35 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Possibly my favorite within your (already excellent) series, Evan.

John Caldwell

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:48 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #3 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Dare i say perfect ?

Yeah i do.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words. Also, I remembered to do a setup shot for everyone this time. Note that I turned off the back right light (w/ PLM) for this shot, but left it there partly to provide a reflection for his shoulder rank.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:31 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Nice shot, Evan. It's always nice to see the setup as well, so thanks for sharing.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Thanks Ron!

Got this via PM, and felt it would add to the discussion.

anonymous wrote:
Hey man!

I think I'll be crucified if I post this publicly, but you have helped me so I want to help you. I really do not care for this image. Expression is uncomfortable. Lighting ratio is crazy...you seem to have (unless my monitor is deceiving me) near-white and near-black on his face. Granted, his ethnicity poses a challenge in that regard. I WANT to like this image...but I don't aesthetically, and I think you can do way better technically. For what it's worth....

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #7 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Oh. I'd have probably just asked a few questions about that feedback such as: In lookign at this image does the lighting ratio seem to work? Versus posting the PM to continue the discussion

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

GeorgieGirl wrote:
Oh. I'd have probably just asked a few questions about that feedback such as: In lookign at this image does the lighting ratio seem to work? Versus posting the PM to continue the discussion

I hope I haven't acted out of turn with regards to the person who kindly sent me the feedback... It just bugged me that this person was concerned (and had precedent to be concerned!) about people responding negatively to the feedback. I wanted this feedback to be shared with the community without this person being worried about others reactions tracking back to him/her. Everyone should feel free to offer feedback without fear of folks ganging up on them, or the artist responding negatively!

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

I didn't like this one quite as much as some of your others, Evan. I had to scratch my head a bit to describe why.

First, this is a very good photograph, so my comment is one of comparison to (IMO) an even better one.

I find the darkness around the eyes and shadow on the near side of his face contributes to why I feel as I do.

Still a great photo, so we're splitting hairs and swapping opinions here.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #10 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Its seems from the set up shot and the lighting that the exposure there, perhaps some drop out in the conversion? For example the glow on the background on the right side is there and even in the set up but is overall absent in the conversion.

BTW I do like his expression. I suspect its a real one and not a forced one. His eyes are smiling.

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:11 PM

BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #11 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Nice, thanks for sharing the setup
Bob

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Nice one Evan. Question... how do you decide whether to do facing right or facing left? I don't do a lot of formal headshots.. if I did, I would be questioning my self the same thing. Do you just do 50 50?

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:21 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #13 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Much to like, although I just wish there was more fill. The Rembrandt pattern is so strong that, especially with his darker skin, it runs the risk of being dark and moody - or, alternatively, Old School Hollywood Shadows For Glamour (eg Hurrell) - which I'm not sure is quite what you were going for.

Love the quality of light - hmm... one of these years when I have enough space not to worry about spill, I might have to consider a parabolic (for now, speedlight-mountable softboxes and Sofliters).

As for feedback - I would always hope that any photographer worth his salt would welcome respectful and constructive comments (as Evan clearly has). We don't have to agree with everything, but even being made aware of potential reservations can only help to stimulate new ways of seeing an image/growing/experimenting with other options!

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Georgiegirl: for your reference, here is the color version (cue: a bunch of people who say "I prefer the color version!" )

Robin: There are a few factors that come into play. By default, most military uniforms feature most of the decorations on the left chest, so I typically put left chest forward. However, I will deviate from that when either the subject looks considerably better on one side than the other (due to things like eye asymmetry, etc), or if the subject has more attachment to an award/decoration on their right, such as a combat service identification badge.

Edited on Dec 21, 2013 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:59 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #15 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Robin Usagani wrote:
Nice one Evan. Question... how do you decide whether to do facing right or facing left? I don't do a lot of formal headshots.. if I did, I would be questioning my self the same thing. Do you just do 50 50?

Speaking for myself, I have to remind myself to shoot BOTH sides. I'm not sure I'm good at "reading" a face for left or right until I've shot quite a few frames; also, my reaction isn't always the same as the subject's. I will usually ask if they have a preference for right or left; some do, some don't. I will admit, too, that I'm a real sucker for body turned/face front shots. Just my style (which suits what I shoot, that is actors/performers). I constantly remind myself to make them turn their heads so I get other (and often more intersting) angles!

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:59 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #16 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Evan, it is SO MUCH BETTER regarding ratio in colour. The conversion has taken all that away, IMO, and has even made his expression "read" differently. LOVE the colour one. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

divamum wrote:
Much to like, although I just wish there was more fill. The Rembrandt pattern is so strong that, especially with his darker skin, it runs the risk of being dark and moody - or, alternatively, Old School Hollywood Shadows For Glamour (eg Hurrell) - which I'm not sure is quite what you were going for.

Love the quality of light - hmm... one of these years when I have enough space not to worry about spill, I might have to consider a parabolic (for now, speedlight-mountable softboxes and Sofliters).

As for feedback - I would always hope that any photographer
...Show more

FWIW, I modeled the lighting (not completely, but in general concept) on Karsh's portrait of MLK, although his isn't a pure Rembrandt. Note that if you google search this image, most of the people who have uploaded versions have flattened out the contrast as compared to the real print which I have seen, or the copy I have in my book (printed before Karsh's death, and thus presumably with his approval on the reproduction). Slightly specular short light with a dramatic ratio and no kickers. I also eased back my background light a little... I've been trying to err on the side of subtlety with the background lighting in most of these.

The parabolics are nice because they are actually fairly controlled. The soft silver parabolic I have actually behaves ALMOST like a gridded softbox, and the full silver version is extremely focused. I have found them to be an economical and storage-space-efficient alternative to large gridded softboxes. I can also throw a diffuser on the front of the umbrellas for softer and less specular light, at the expense of directionality of course.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:21 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #18 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Nice shot. I think the angle should be higher.

Dec 21, 2013 at 09:30 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

This looks great (from a retired pathologist).

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #20 · Forensic Pathologist (Military Series)

Very very nice!

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password