Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Yesterday, I went out to Banff to try my A7r because the light was threatening to be good.

I went to a location that I have noticed near the TransCanada Highway on a truck pull out. I am not sure it is great - I will leave it to you to advise.

Anyway it was about -20c with a bit of a breeze and my fingers were numb and my nose got close to freezing but all in all it was great fun.

The a7r sucks for battery life in the cold - if you buy it an shoot below zero bring about 5 batteries.

The lcd is also not as good as the 5diii. Smaller and does not let you autofocus with zoom.

But the recitulating screen was great so I did not hunch down. Particullarly because my tripod bottom legs froze in and I had to shoot hunched over.

The processing of the a7r files seemed tough to me. The colors just did not work as well as the 5diii. Don't know whether its just because I am not used to it or the colors are not too good.

So far, I was forced to choose, I am not seeing much benefit of a7r over 5diii.

Scott

1-4 of 4

1 of 4 - Early with Moonlight - A7r

ILCE-7R    24mm F3.5 lens    24mm    f/8.0    4s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4 - Color and the Moon - A7r

ILCE-7R    24-105mm F4 OSS lens    55mm    f/5.6    1/15s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4 - Moon and the Apenglow - A7r

ILCE-7R    24-105mm F4 OSS lens    58mm    f/9.0    1/25s    80 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 - My batteries all depleted on A7r - So back to the Canon that works

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    40mm    f/11.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:45 PM
helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Lovely shots. I like #2 most. Please keep us up to date with your findings as you get to use the A7r more.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:30 PM
lookoutscout
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Scott, as usual, very nicely done. I am pretty partial to #1. It rocks.
Dave

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Nice series and thanks for the camera report.

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Looks good Scott. However, I certainly don't see anything which shows this cam has better IQ than your 5D3. Perhaps it may take some time to get used to the PP. I suppose the benefit would be in the small size….

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Scott,
Beautiful shots, proving once again that it's not the camera but the photographer.
David

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Great stuff Scott, beautiful location.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

helenica: I am still on the fence for a7r for landscape. Excessive curtain vibration, need for adapter, weak battery performance... Still not sure that it was a good $4000 (lens, adapter, battery, body) experiment. But failing useful in landscape, it might be good for hiking if they make a uwa lens within the year since the rangerfinder uwa do not work. Glad you like 2. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

lookoutscout: Glad you like 1. It was the first picture I took when I arrived. I thought it was the throw-away shot. But then I liked it after looking at it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ben egbert: Glad you like the series. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Gary Clennan: The small size does not do you any good except for hiking because uwa rangefinder lens do not work and a big lens on a tiny body is not small. That said, my 15/2.8, 25/2.0 and TS17 and TS24 work fine -just not small. I think you would only notice the difference if I did not take 3 AEB shots for all and blend and if you blew up big. I have seen more detail but not at this size and not a lot (20% of so is not a lot of gain based on squared relationship). Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

A7r

ILCE-7R    24-105mm F4 OSS lens    92mm    f/5.6    1/400s    80 ISO    0.0 EV  

5diii same spot, same lens, same fstop, same processing -woops slightly different mm

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    80mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 21, 2013 at 03:09 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

deepjay: Some of my favorite shots were with my 20d/8mpx. The composition is more important than the resolution but if you get the composition, it would be nice to blow it up big. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

matthewh133: This is a new location for me and faces directly west so maybe good for sunset. Glad you like it. It was numbing with the breeze in my face. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:04 AM
jeetsukumaran
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Very nice. Of the first series, I like #2 the best. In this series, the A7r shots look a little crisper? But not sure if that can be validly concluded at these sizes, and, in any case, crispness seems too close to call (at least at web sizes) in second series. In both series, 5DIII might be a little warmer, or catch the nice gold of the sunlight reflecting on scene better?

Yeah, I can see where the articulating screen would be nice. I am using the EOS utility on my smartphone to control the 6D over its built-in ad-hoc WIFI network, and it is fantastic for helping with focus and composition.

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Very nice. Of the first series, I like #2 the best. In this series, the A7r shots look a little crisper? But not sure if that can be validly concluded at these sizes, and, in any case, crispness seems too close to call (at least at web sizes) in second series. In both series, 5DIII might be a little warmer, or catch the nice gold of the sunlight reflecting on scene better?

Yeah, I can see where the articulating screen would be nice. I am using the EOS utility on my smartphone to control the 6D over its built-in ad-hoc
...Show more

]jeetsukumaran: I messed up the comparison in the 2nd set because there is a 10mm gap in the zooming so really the only thing you can determine is that the canon colors are a little warmer, in the same circumstance. The articulating screen is nice but the wifi is not useful here in the winter - it would increase the battery use (I turn it off) and double the battery problems (iphone and a7r instead of a7r). Wifi is not practical in the winter with the a7r. It would work better with the 70d because the battery life is better. Glad you like 2. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:41 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Great stuff ... I think I like 1 the best but all are excellent.

It looks cold out there though ...

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:00 AM
naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Wow, you endured some intensely cold temps, but you created some really hot images!!! Wonderful shots Scott!!! Congratulations!!!

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
goldencode
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Love them all especially #2. Thanks for enduring the cold to share these pics with us !

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

dwa652: 1 was with my ts24 right off the start as I cooled off. The 24 on the a7r is impressive.Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

naturesmoments: Its either stay home or dress up with lots of batteries at this time of year. Glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

goldencode: Glad you like 2. As long as I did not face into the wind, the weather was just cold Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:59 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

These are lovely shots Scott. I like the first two the best. The scene is more balance in those two.
harsha

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Awesome group, Scott. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, how do you process? 3 shots, and then blend in PS or LR?

Your comment about one picture being a "throwaway" rings true to me: oftentimes, I just take a picture to play, and the "play" picture actually comes out well. Sometimes better than the actual picture I was trying to take.

Dec 23, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

harshaj1 wrote:
These are lovely shots Scott. I like the first two the best. The scene is more balance in those two.
harsha

Glad you like the first 2. And thanks for the reason why. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dec 23, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

MarcG19 wrote:
Awesome group, Scott. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind, how do you process? 3 shots, and then blend in PS or LR?

Your comment about one picture being a "throwaway" rings true to me: oftentimes, I just take a picture to play, and the "play" picture actually comes out well. Sometimes better than the actual picture I was trying to take.

I take 3 pictures neutral exposure (with little blinking and mostly exposed to the right of the histogram) and the other ones 2 stop up and 2 stops down.

I then use dpp or sony software to turn into 16bit tiff

I then run photomatix on enhancer mode on the 3 images and create a 16bit tiff hdr version

I then go into photo shop and click top left and shift/drag single nuetral image on the hdr image and change the opacity to about 2/3 single image and flatten.

Then I do ctrl/L and option pull in on each end.

Then I do some work with curves and shadows

Finally I sharpen and post. I resize to 2500, sharpen, then resize to 1100 sharpen, then fade sharpen to 10% and then save to about 210px.

Then I will post

Glad you like the pictures. Much appreciated. Scott

Dec 23, 2013 at 06:02 AM
harland
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bow River (First good light with my A7r) Banff

Very nice Scott. Love the purple in #1, but my fav is #3. Something about an anchor in the foreground always looks good to these eyes. BTW looks cold, but at least you have some sunshine!!
Darryl

Dec 29, 2013 at 03:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password