Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Reckon it's SAFE....

anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reckon it's SAFE....

To buy a D600 refurb these days, or d'ya'll think that the grit/grime/snot issue is, well, still likely to be an issue? I'm on the prowl

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reckon it's SAFE....

My opinion is no you are not safe. Buy a new D600 then send it in once you see the issue. Or just buy a D610 and know you'll be safe from the get go and save yourself the hassle and being without the camera for awhile.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I went with a 610, no issues...expense is different for people, but I like the confidence and piece of mind knowing Nikon had to have tested the crap out of it before release or it would have been a another larger grease fire for them

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:26 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reckon it's SAFE....

If I had the extra cash and really wanted a FF camera I would buy one. I would even buy used if it had no oil on sensor or owner was willing to send it in for shutter replacement. It appears Nikon is replacing the shutter even out of warranty.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:32 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I think you're safe buying a factory refurbished D600, but I would be very hesitant to buy a used one without documentation that the shutter had been replaced - the minimal savings likely wouldn't justify the risk.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reckon it's SAFE....

Sooner or later they will stop replacing the shutters so freely. You probably won't get a warning beforehand just like they haven't really announced that it is the solution to a real problem. That's the trouble when they try to hide the obvious and deny reality for so long. They really just want it to go away and when they decide that enough of it has then they'll stop the free services. You may or may not get yours done in time.

This issue has hurt Nikon much like the 1D3 issue hurt Canon. For Canon it was their top shelf pro sports camera and they treated the users like shit. For Nikon it was "only" a high level consumer camera but there were far more of them. We can only wonder how they be so dumb at managing a self-made problem. It's cost them just as much as would have done to be honest about it in the first place plus it has put a huge dent in their reputation. Imagine how much happier users would have been to be told immediately that there was a problem and they will get their camera fixed free of charge as soon as the solution was determined, and how best to work around it in the meantime.

I have a Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR I that cost me over $8,000 - way more than a D600 cost. After 3-4 years of low usage I realised that the AF motor was seizing up. It was too gradual to recognise it easily but eventually it became intolerably noisy. Despite the value of the lens and its relative young age relative to its useful lifespan I had to pay $700 for a new AF motor. Not happy, but there's only one of me and so Nikon doesn't care.

- Alan

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:06 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reckon it's SAFE....

Hey crew, thanks for the scoop. I appreciate your input... I've been looking at one that's been refurb'd on Adorama, Molson, so I'm inclined to agree with you on that point... don't have quite enough bucks to swing for the 610... sadly, I agree with you, Alan that you and others who have been mucked over have indeed been mucked over.... so much easier for Nikon to say "yea, we screwed up, but, I fear that major element in Japanese culture is to "save face" and admitting that we mucked up doesn't help with that. I say that out of 13 months in USMC residence on Okinawa. Best of Christmas' to you all, or Hannaukah, or Kwanzaa or whatever your religious orientation might be.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:41 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I bought a new D600 and I would do so again. The problem with a refurb is that you do not know why it was returned. Also, do you get a proper warranty?

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:46 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I think it's safe to buy a refurb or a new one, but make sure you have the warranty and expect to send it in. It's a great camera, in spite of it's reputation.

Happy Festivus!

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:26 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reckon it's SAFE....

Refurb, new or used with a reliable store warranty is safe (such as Henry's here in Canada), ie any option where the sensor replacement would be not at your cost if it crops up.

I would not by used on the private market without proof of sensor replacement, and even then only at a serious discount over a refurb.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reckon it's SAFE....

Yep, no private sales purchases, not even from the (Not) deeply discounted secondary commercial resellers here. Adorama, BH, KEH, all good to go IME.

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:55 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I've had new, used & refurb D600s and all of them had the dust issue, it's a fact you learn to live with. I had the shutter replaced and the dust/oil came back. It doesn't affect my shooting style except when I take long exposures at f/11 or smaller apertures.

Regardless of the dust issue the D600 is a great camera and at the price it's going IMHO it's a steal

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reckon it's SAFE....

It's the oil issue that has kept me from buying this little camera...how difficult is it to clean once it's there? I've done wet clearning before on my D700, and it's not something I'm afraid of doing. However, that's just dust. How difficult is it to get that oil off the sensor?

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reckon it's SAFE....

As I posted in another thread, a friend of mine bought a used D600 and his sensor was the worst I have seen. You could see spots on pics at f5.6. It took me 2 Sensor Swabs with Eclipse to clean the oil and dust. All of the dust was gone on the first but you could still see oil streaks. The second wet swab did the job. 3000 shutter releases later, his has absolutely no spots showing at f22.

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:45 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reckon it's SAFE....

There must be a design flaw with the camera, just the fact that Nikon replaced it so quickly with a new model means -don't get a 600-. The 610 looks safe, according to owner complaints read here and on the "nikonites" forum.

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:49 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I got a fantastic deal on a refurb D600. If I shoot f/11 or more and have a light tone in the upper left quadrant, I can see blobs that do not blow off. Only under those circumstances is there a problem. The camera has 90 days from Nikon so I will just send it in since I have other bodies I can use in the meantime.
Refurbs can be great values. I have purchased many over the past 12 years and been very happy with all of them.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Reckon it's SAFE....

anthonysemone wrote:
To buy a D600 refurb these days, or d'ya'll think that the grit/grime/snot issue is, well, still likely to be an issue? I'm on the prowl

I'm shocked you haven't bought a Df yet. You are obviously in love with it with all your glowing posts regarding that body.

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:46 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Reckon it's SAFE....

I already have one, Vinnie It's the F6 version Forgot: I have the earlier one, too, the F4

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:04 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Reckon it's SAFE....

anthonysemone wrote:
I already have one, Vinnie It's the F6 version Forgot: I have the earlier one, too, the F4

Seems to be right up your alley then. Upgrade those F's!

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:09 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Reckon it's SAFE....

Not for a Df downgrade

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password