Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

ratsnest74
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings/Optical-Metric-Scores

First page (top 28 lenses):

10 Nikon Lenses. 1 Canon. Even Tamron and Sigma each have 2 in the top 28...

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:08 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Hardly THE source for such "ratings"
I'm a Nikon shooter but don't believe 1/2 the crap they tout,
nor does anyone else that I know. Just sayin'...

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

DXO is one of those interesting types of tests that produces a number based on a whole set of things that most people don't understand and which weights the relative value of those things in ways that are somewhat arbitrary.

People looking for simple answers ("I want the lens with the highest number!") often look at such things and make gross assumptions about what they mean ("Brand X is astonishing and Brand Y sucks!") that are off the wall.

Until you can explain to people what those "scores" actually mean and how they were derived and then see/show the difference using normal photographs, you can pretty much safely ignore them. Oh, and once you do understand them that way... you'll likely choose to ignore them. ;-)

Dan

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:15 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Hardly THE source for such "ratings"
I'm a Nikon shooter but don't believe 1/2 the crap they tout,
nor does anyone else that I know. Just sayin'...

ok, well who is the better source for such ratings? I hear so many people on this Canon forum saying Canon has the better lenses and I believed this until a Nikon shooter pointed this site out to me.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

...because several of the tested lenses with a high score in sharpness were tested on a D800 or D800E camera which simply has the best sensor resolution-wise. Canon's camera sensors cannot compete with this sensor.

Edited on Dec 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Plus scores depend on the sensor you put behind the lens. Nikon has the highest resolution sensor right now (D800E) and Canon's lenses can't make up for the difference in resolving power. If Canon had a camera with the D800E sensor than most Canon lenses would probably score almost identical to their Nikon counterparts

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:18 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
Plus scores depend on the sensor you put behind the lens. Nikon has the highest resolution sensor right now (D800E) and Canon's lenses can't make up for the difference in resolving power. If Canon had a camera with the D800E sensor than most Canon lenses would probably score almost identical to their Nikon counterparts

Same thoughts, same posting time

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:19 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

You're actually paying attention to someone on the "other" side? Not a good idea. Canon camera gear is used by many for a reason. Nikon camera gear is used by many for a reason too.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:21 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

ratsnest74 wrote:
ok, well who is the better source for such ratings? I hear so many people on this Canon forum saying Canon has the better lenses and I believed this until a Nikon shooter pointed this site out to me.

1st off...Canon glass doesn't mount on Nikon bodies and vice versa (while retaining AF)
so most of these "comparisons" are moot.
Try Photozone/Lenstip and shooters whose work you respect, preferably ones that shoot what you do.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:26 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Fortunately for us, those tests do not mean that great photos cannot be taken with Canon lenses

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

As others have said, DxO's results are for the total system. Once Canon releases a high-MP body many will be surprised at how many of Canon's lenses will test higher than their Nikon equivalents, esp. toward the corners.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:33 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

ratsnest74 wrote:

DxO results are have a double bias; firstly, DxO intentionally biases results based on pixel count (scores are adjusted upwards based on sensor resolution) and secondly, the higher resolution sensors of the D800/D800E are capable of recording more of what the lens is resolving in the first place.

The only fair comparison is to test all the lenses on the same body, which is obviously problematic.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:39 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Choose Nikon D3s or D4 and compare with Canon 5DIII as the camera and the Canon lenses then suddenly blow Nikon away

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:42 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

...or chose D800/D800e and you're back where you started Pointless comparisons. Move on.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

To back up a bit, what is the point of the question? Are you a Nikon or a Canon shooter? Are there specific lenses that you want/need for one brand or there other?

To back up even further, once you have determined that you need a particular lens with functional characteristics X, Y, and Z, "lens test" results may (or may not!) be useful in parsing out very small differences between otherwise identical options. However... in most cases they are almost completely irrelevant.

Let's say that you want a lens to cover (to make up numbers) the 20-75mm range at f/3 on your Nikocantaxony camera. You look at the "lens test" results and find out that Pensoncanikon makes the "best" 20-75mm f/3 lens which scores 73 on the DeadOX scale. You don't know what that means, but it is The Biggest Number so it must be best.

What do you do?

1. Sell your Nikocantaxony gear and replace it with a Pensoncanikon system so that you can have a lens that scores 73 instead of 72.

2. Find some third-party adapter than lets you put the Pensoncanikon lens on your Nikocantaxony camera, even though you'll have to give up AF and automatic aperture control and can't use filters.

3. Continue to use your Nikocantoxony setup and buy its deficient 72-rated lens and go on a forum and complain about how Nikocantoxony is "falling behind" Pensoncanikon.

4. Instead of getting the deficient Nikocantoxony 20-75mm f/3 lens that rates 72 instead of 73 buy the numerically superior Nikocantoxony 300mm f/1.4 SuperGonzoLator lens that rates 74 by comparison to Pensoncanikon's 300mm f/1.4 PentaMachoNon X III that only rates 71. You don't need and cannot afford this lens but, hey, it scores higher!

And what do those rating numbers actually mean?

Dan

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

One other thing, did you notice scores of 28 for a whole page? The differences must be trivial. I also note they list wide open scores, good for people who do razor thin dof stuff, who else cares?

What about vignetting, CA, distortion?

I could not find the Zeiss Distagon 21 in the top listings, yet a year or two back this was the king of the hill for landscapers. If you had to replace all your lenses each time a new batch arrived, it would get pretty expensive. Many of the top lenses were video anyway.

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

After owning lots of gear and 'testing' lots of lenses I have come to the conclusion that most modern, high quality lenses are already more than sharp enough for what I need.

Maybe I'm in the minority...but I find stuff like lighting, focus accuracy and processing to be far more influential to the final appearance/sharpness of an image than the minor differences between one very sharp lens and another very sharp lens.

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Ignore DxO - take photos instead.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

Paul Mo wrote:
Ignore DxO - take photos instead.

Sound advice.

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:09 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why Do Canon Lenses Score so Low?

I read on their site, that all tests are done in low-light conditions, because that is the critical performance condition. From their website:

DxOMark Score is based on low-light conditions (150 lux and 1/60s exposure time). We chose these conditions because we believe low-light performance is very important in photography today, and because photographers need to know how well lenses perform at their widest aperture.

DXOmark scores

Gary

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password