New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 7 Ft Parabolic

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Will the subject umbrella and a single SB-800 be adequate coverage for small family group illumination

Douglas

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Is the Para silver? If you can arrange the family so they are on roughly the same focal plane you'll be able to use a larger aperture. Combine that with a high-ish ISO and you should be fine.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Yes, The liner is silver. Thanks for your quick response.
Douglas

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7 Ft Parabolic

A 7ft para with one speedlight... really. Maybe with a high enough ISO, but it would not be my choice. I'd rent something or look for a stronger portable strobe.

<Chas>

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7 Ft Parabolic

As Chas mentions, you'll need to increase you ISO and maybe drag the shutter a bit.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Dragging the shutter won't affect flash output.

Dec 21, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7 Ft Parabolic

I've used one flash in a few 7 ft umbrellas. I have a couple other larger flash options Ike a Profoto 600R, an Einstein and VML and am on the list for a B1 but some times you just don't have the time to set up or have that stuff with. Keep the umbrella close to the subject, shoot on higher power and if possible try shooting through if you have one that's translucent. You can get it even closer without sticking your talent with the umbrella shaft. I think the 7 ft translucent is a great product. I use it outside as a scrim, a diffuser for shooting thru. If you can find one one more flash unit, borrow or buy, it obviously works better.
Go for it though. It's how we learn.

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:20 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Should work fine, just watch shadows on subjects and background. It also depends a bit on size of room and size of family group, but you don't need a ton of equipment to get great results, you just need to know what you are doing.

Dec 22, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7 Ft Parabolic

Dragging the shutter won't help the exposure but it will the ambient and open up the shadows. I think it makes for a nicer shot like this when you only have one light source.

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.