New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Art Galleries in NY

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Art Galleries in NY

Hi All,
I was contacted by one of the galleries in Chelsea NY (Agora Contemporary Fine Art Gallery to be exact) that offered me 18 months contract and exhibition of my art/shots. All seems like a great deal but then they told me that I actually have to pay them up front $4000 for it. I'm a bit spooked now.
Of course there's no guarantee that they will sell so many of my shots I'll get that 4K back, and make some extra, right? And, they told me that if they sell any of my shots they will take 30%.
Any of you had a similar offer? And/Or any experiences with NY galleries?
Thanks
Gregg

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Art Galleries in NY

Hi Gregg...

I have no direct knowledge of this gallery and have never been contacted by them, but here's a link from a couple of years ago with some interesting information.

http://sarah-vaeth.blogspot.com/2011/01/beware.html

My wife is a watercolor artist and she's been contacted by similar galleries who offer to show her work for an up fron fee...all have proven to be bogus.

Buyer beware would be my advice.

Thanks
Tom

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Art Galleries in NY

I get those from time to time. Sounds good, but most galleries display your work and take 50~60% of the sale AFTER the piece sells - and don't charge you $4000 for the privilege of hanging it. I'd stay clear of that one.

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Art Galleries in NY

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Gregg...

I have no direct knowledge of this gallery and have never been contacted by them, but here's a link from a couple of years ago with some interesting information.

My wife is a watercolor artist and she's been contacted by similar galleries who offer to show her work for an up fron fee...all have proven to be bogus.

Thanks
Tom

Tom,
Thanks a lot for this link. The article talks exactly about what I needed to know. The content of the letter presented there is almost identical to what I've received. Pity, I thought they are more serious....
Well, they won't be getting anything from me.
Thanks
Greg

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Art Galleries in NY

I have never heard of any legitimate art gallery asking for a fee up front. I have always heard that they take a commission from the sale.

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Art Galleries in NY

Tom In Arizona wrote:
Hi Gregg...

Thanks
Tom

I didn't see the link when I posted, but that's the letter I received as well.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Art Galleries in NY

Andre Labonte wrote:
I have never heard of any legitimate art gallery asking for a fee up front. I have always heard that they take a commission from the sale.

+1

There are a number of "Vanity" galleries out there that send this kind of offer. Agora is just one of them.

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:20 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.