New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · iStock - is it worth it?

acoll123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iStock - is it worth it?

I am thinking about signing up for iStock. I shoot for a small online newspaper and retain copyright for my images. Between assignments for that organization and other random things I shoot, I think I could contribute 10 or so images a month and would use the "non-exclusive" option at least initially. Just looking for some supplemental income . . .

I would like to hear about the experiences others have had with iStock. Is it worth it at the level I described? Anything to look out for? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iStock - is it worth it?

Is it worth it? Maybe. Depending on the sheer number of photos in your portfolio you may generate $300 to $1000 a month (or year) in extra income. Do a search for istock earnings and see what people are saying.

There are lots of variables that can affect your earnings, chief among them is istock's own meddling: with payout formulas, diluting the pool for regular contributors by adding Getty content, striking deals with Google and Microsoft to give images away... the list goes on.

Should you take a dislike to management's shenanigans, be aware that there's an istock forum-wide zero tolerance policy on dissent, at least as pertains to individuals. Complainers who cross the quickly-drawn line will find their threads locked or expunged in short order. The only exception allowed is when a mass revolt occurs, then the rants are permitted and can fill several pages. This serves no real purpose as things seldom change for the better. Still, I suppose the process is somewhat cathartic and possibly prevents acts of terrorism in Calgary.

You also need to be prepared for istock's occasionally incoherent inspection process, wherein images can be rejected for imaginary flaws. Fix the flaw, resubmit, and the image may be rejected again for a different (phantom) flaw. Rinse, repeat. Some people have found it's just too time consuming, YMMV.

Having said all this, people do make money from microstock and you'll never know if you have what it takes if you don't dive in head first. You'll also never know the feeling of seeing a bus pass by with your photo plastered on the side as you think, "Yup, got $2.50 for that one."

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:26 AM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iStock - is it worth it?

Thanks Ho1972,
My initial 3 photos got rejected - vague reasons given. I guess I will try and again and keep my expectations low. I was hoping that some of the things I am shooting already could be dual-purposed . . . maybe that's not reasonable.

Thanks again for your input. I am curious though. I didn't get many (just yours) responses to this. Could be a boring topic or are people afraid to talk about iStock even on this forum?

Andy

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:08 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iStock - is it worth it?

Don't be discouraged by the rejections. You'll learn to give them what they want, even though it's a moving target at times.

I don't know how many FMers are istock contributors, but I doubt that fear of reprisal is what's keeping the post count low in this thread. I doubt that istock's thought police actively scour other forums looking for offenders. I suspect that most people just don't have much to say these days about microstock in general.

If you're a member of the Nikon Cafe, you might want to read through Glenn Nagel's account of his foray into the land of stock. He set out nearly four years ago on a whim just to see if he could make a go of it.

Link

Again, you have to register to even be able to read threads in most forums at NC but it might be worthwhile just to get a more unbiased perspective than the one I'm offering. Glenn set a personal record for the month of November, surpassing $1000 in sales for the first time.

Dec 23, 2013 at 09:33 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iStock - is it worth it?

Thanks Ho1972,
My second set of submissions got accepted so I am an official contributor (got the email today - nice Christmas present). Now to start submitting. I will take a look at the links you suggested. Thanks again.

Andy

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iStock - is it worth it?

I don't have any personal experience with iStock but I have worked with some other stock agency and came away with a less than satisfied feeling.

ho1972 said:
"Having said all this, people do make money from microstock and you'll never know if you have what it takes if you don't dive in head first. You'll also never know the feeling of seeing a bus pass by with your photo plastered on the side as you think, "Yup, got $2.50 for that one."

This was my experience exactly. I received a minor amount for images that were used as the featured views of one companies national ad materials; travel brochures, website and print media campaign for more than two years. I felt pretty badly about the entire experience and have not ventured into this area since then. I's possible, I think, to make income in this way. A friend of mine has certainly done pretty well with it. But I think you have to be prepared for the ups and downs that Ho1972 pointed out so ably.

Dec 26, 2013 at 08:32 AM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iStock - is it worth it?

Mike1.6 wrote:
I don't have any personal experience with iStock but I have worked with some other stock agency and came away with a less than satisfied feeling.

ho1972 said:
"Having said all this, people do make money from microstock and you'll never know if you have what it takes if you don't dive in head first. You'll also never know the feeling of seeing a bus pass by with your photo plastered on the side as you think, "Yup, got $2.50 for that one."

This was my experience exactly. I received a minor amount for images that were used as the featured views of
...Show more
Thanks Mike1.6. I am approaching it with the attitude that anything I get will be better than nothing.

Andy

Dec 26, 2013 at 09:23 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.