Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

freddy_hayek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

Funny how Leica will repair about anything they've ever made, even 60+ years after the fact yet Nikon runs out of parts in less than 20.

Go figure.

Jan 08, 2014 at 02:52 AM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

david debalko wrote:
I shoot with a D4 and D3, will I notice a focus speed difference between my AF-S, the AF-D or the newer 70-200 2.8 VR II?

Yea. I'd say so.. Either D will drive that 70-200 like a dog on fire. It'll be like a SNAP !

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:02 AM
gfinlayson
• •
p.2 #3 · 80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

There are still AFS 80-200 f/2.8 lenses to be found on eBay and they still command high prices which is testament to how good they actually are. I recently sold mine and got back what I paid for it 4 years ago. I would have loved to hang on to it, but after dropping the on the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, it was impossible to justify....

This lens had a short production life span with only 65,000 or so of them made. I suspect that high manufacturing costs and small margins made it uneconomic to continue to produce them. The advent of VR allowed a refresh to the 70-200VR and a much higher selling price. Nikon kept making the older AF 80-200 D presumably for those still shooting film with older bodies......

Buying a used version, although much cheaper than a 70-200 VRII is a bit of a gamble since service parts are almost non-existent as you've found out.

If you're not too fussed on VR then a good used AF 80-200 D is probably your best bet if you're budget conscious. If you find it's not right for you, you can roll it on for what you paid and go for the 70-200 VRII

Jan 08, 2014 at 12:33 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.2 #4 · 80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

david debalko wrote:
I shoot with a D4 and D3, will I notice a focus speed difference between my AF-S, the AF-D or the newer 70-200 2.8 VR II?

The AF-S lenses will be a hair faster than the screw-driven AF-D. The AF-D also has that torque that you'll feel while handholding the lens, like it wants to jump out of your hand. The AF-S lenses will be quieter and way smoother.

Jan 08, 2014 at 07:29 PM
jbouchard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · 80-200D ED 2.8 AFS repair

I have an 80-200/2.8 AF-D that I bought used, cheap, locally. I like it. It seems sharp to me on my D700, but I'm not a pixel peeper. There are different versions of the 80-200. First an AF push-pull, then an AF-D push-pull, then 2 ring. The 2 ring is said to be much faster focusing than the push-pull. Mine is the 2 ring AF-D and it will focus respectably in low light (at a concert in a bar). They still sell them new, so spare parts should be around for a while. Ken Rockwell (no flames please) makes the statement the 2 ring AF-D is 80% as fast as the new 70-200.

Another thing to consider is a new 70-200 VRII is 54oz, the old AF-D is 46, and your AF-S was somewhere in between I expect. My AF-D is heavy enough to me, I don't want to add another 8 ounces. Actually I have a messed up shoulder and I use the 105VR a lot more than the zoom these days.

Like someone else said, buy one used, try it, and if you don't like it you can probably sell it again for for about what you paid for it.

My 28-70/2.8 hit a wooden floor the other day, with D700 attached. Everything seems to work fine, except now the zoom is a bit stiff between 28 and 35. I was thinking about sending it in, but now you have me scared.

Jan 08, 2014 at 10:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password