New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1DX Battery Issue?

CaPpedDoG

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Hey everyone, I just bought a brand new 1DX. Received it yesterday. I have a couple questions regarding the battery. The battery reading seems to be very inconsistent. It will show, say 92% and then I'll check it again and it will read 88%. Once I powered the camera up from sleep and it showed 58%. I checked again a minute or 2 later and it showed 47%. The battery doesn't seem to last too long either. I have a second brand new battery that I charged last night. I popped it in the camera last night... took a couple of shots and then replaced it with the other battery. It read 98 or 99%. Now, just about an hour ago, I thought I'd test the battery (see if it's doing the same thing as the other.) Sure enough it is; very inconsistent. Also... the battery read 87%.... it was practically fully charged last night. Whats going on
Thanks

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX Battery Issue?

I found that the 1DX does use up batteries rather quickly. I shut off the review function and when I'm not using the camera even for a day, I take the battery out. I also have the lcd screen set to the mid point of brightness. The lcd screen does use a lot of battery power.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
CaPpedDoG

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX Battery Issue?

mogud wrote:
I found that the 1DX does use up batteries rather quickly. I shut off the review function and when I'm not using the camera even for a day, I take the battery out. I also have the lcd screen set to the mid point of brightness. The lcd screen does use a lot of battery power.

Thanks for the reply. I've had the review function turned off since I first powered it up. Is it normal for the battery to be so inconsistent? My 5D3 isn't that way at all. It just slowly drops a percentage at a time. Whereas, I'll turn on my 1DX and it'll read 45%. I'll check it again in a few seconds and it'll read 43 or 44%. Snap a few quick shots and it will be at 42%. Then I'll let it auto-sleep, turn it back on, and it may read 46 or 47%. I don't know... maybe it's completely normal? But like I said, my 5D3 doesn't do this.

Dec 19, 2013 at 01:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Mine are pretty stable, and I get good battery life. I use a mix of LP-E4 and -E4N with my 1DX and 1DIV. I can usually shoot for at least four hours on one battery. Also, after charging, they usually show 98% to 100%. My 1DX has been in a bag for two days and it shows 95% in battery info.

What does it show for "Recharge Performance"? Does it say anything about recommending calibration on the next charge?

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:04 PM
CaPpedDoG

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX Battery Issue?

jcolwell wrote:
Mine are pretty stable, and I get good battery life. I use a mix of LP-E4 and -E4N with my 1DX and 1DIV. I can usually shoot for at least four hours on one battery. Also, after charging, they usually show 98% to 100%. My 1DX has been in a bag for two days and it shows 95% in battery info.

What does it show for "Recharge Performance"? Does it say anything about recommending calibration on the next charge?

Recharge performance for both batteries are full green. They're both brand spanking new. One came with the 1D and the other was purchased at a separate store. Like I said in the OP, I had fully charged one of the LP-E4N's the other night and checked it the next day and it was 87%. I figured maybe it's a faulty battery. But last night, I charged the other battery (100%) and just checked it now and its at 90%...

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:11 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX Battery Issue?

I just did an indoor track and field event and shot almost 5000 frames over 5 hours with a zoom with IS on. It still had one bar left on the display. Shot a couple late season football games in the 20-30F temp range and got about 2000 frames over 3 hours with two bars left on the display. I've had remarkably good performance from the 1D batteries.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:29 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX Battery Issue?

can confirm that the 1DX uses battery at a rate higher than both of my previous 1Ds3 & 1D4 bodies, even though the LP-E4N supposedly has a little more juice than the LP-E4.. probably the extra processing power & also the higher-res screen

also discovered recently, (though I suspect a lot of you already know this), that battery usage rate goes up substantially in the cold for whatever reason..

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX Battery Issue?

kaycephoto wrote:
can confirm that the 1DX uses battery at a rate higher than both of my previous 1Ds3 & 1D4 bodies, even though the LP-E4N supposedly has a little more juice than the LP-E4.. probably the extra processing power & also the higher-res screen

also discovered recently, (though I suspect a lot of you already know this), that battery usage rate goes up substantially in the cold for whatever reason..

It's not that the 1Dx uses more battery in the cold, it's that the battery has ever less juice as the temperature drops. A battery is a chemical reaction producing an electric current. Like all chemical reactions it is affected by cold. In truly cold weather (say 0ºF), battery life can be 20% of what it would be at 70ºF. Varies of course depending on type of battery and other factors. When I have to shoot in cold weather I keep a spare close to my skin and cycle the batteries in and out so that they stay warmer.

Robert

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX Battery Issue?

I get very good battery life with any of my 5 LP-E4 (N) batteries. Can easily shoot 3-4 thousend pics on each. They are aslo stable. And the percentage doesn't change that much if not using the battery for a week or two.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM
CaPpedDoG

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Ya, I find it odd that both my LP-E4N batteries dropped like 10-13% in one night....

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I get very good battery life with any of my 5 LP-E4 (N) batteries. Can easily shoot 3-4 thousend pics on each. They are aslo stable. And the percentage doesn't change that much if not using the battery for a week or two.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Doesn't sound normal at all. Mine show very little discharge sitting in my cameras for weeks. Also no dramatic drops either. I do get large drops when I'm out in -15C weather as I have been recently but even then I've been shooting for 2-3 hours and still come home with 40% or so batter left even at those temps. Maybe will need to have Canon look into it as probably a camera issue.

Is your firmware up to date as I think one of the FW updates addressed some battery issues?? Can't remember exactly.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:11 AM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX Battery Issue?

I have no issues with my two LP-E4 (N) batteries. Never noticed a discharge like you describe.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:38 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Haven't used my 1DX for a few days and when I checked the battery was at 59% with calibration recommended. I figured I could shoot a couple more Bball games with that charge so didn't recharge. Just looked now after reading this post and the battery is at 61%

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:09 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX Battery Issue?

Lars Johnsson wrote:

+1
I get more life than I need out of a charge, and very slow discharge rate when stored. I also find the readout of percentage remaining to be very consistent, no anomalies.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX Battery Issue?

ggreene wrote:
I just did an indoor track and field event and shot almost 5000 frames over 5 hours with a zoom with IS on. It still had one bar left on the display. Shot a couple late season football games in the 20-30F temp range and got about 2000 frames over 3 hours with two bars left on the display. I've had remarkably good performance from the 1D batteries.

+1

Jan 05, 2014 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.