Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

Anyone shooting it for work? Wondering your thoughts.

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:41 AM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

Yeep.
Most of this set done with this little gem.

http://www.isaacimage.com/trade-sensation-events-open-house-captured-by-toronto-wedding-photographer-isaacimage/

What can I say :
very light and quick, also have Sigma 35,

Buy it if the size and wight is matters, otherwise Siggy all the way

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:26 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

isaacimage wrote:
Buy it if the size and wight is matters, otherwise Siggy all the way

But what about the IS? Are you doing anything to make use of the IS that Canon has and the Sig does not?

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:45 AM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

D. Diggler wrote:
But what about the IS? Are you doing anything to make use of the IS that Canon has and the Sig does not?

For me at that focal distance IS is a bit useless.
Maybe video guys will appreciate it more.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:49 AM
MAC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

I have the pair: 35 F2 IS + 24 F2.8 IS -- carry three bodies, 5d and latest canon lightweight crop, for 4 FOV's with this pair

F2 on the 35 is really nice sharpness for portrait use

This pair along with the 100L rock with 4 stop IS. With the 3 bodies, and 3 lenses I get 24, 35, 38, 56, 100, 160 FOV with on-board 4 stop IS, no pod needed, limited lens changes in any shooting scenario, and can get most any shot with relatively light setup, unless I need the heavy 70-200 gun. i use multiple odin's also on all three which is very fast to dial in lighting scenarios - i carry all my gear into events in one trip. The lenses and bodies I can carry all day long -- because these primes are light

jeff ascough also shoots with the 24, 35 IS pair

Dec 20, 2013 at 02:11 PM
benee
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

D. Diggler wrote:

If you shoot details with available light, the IS comes in handy. You can stop down a bit as needed and hand-hold down to about 1/8. The 35 IS focuses very close. Its a very handy lens, light, sharp and a great value. I can't speak for the Siggy, but the IS is excellenty.

Dec 20, 2013 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

domrafiti1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

I just got mine and am really enjoying it. I had the new sigma before as well and it was such a beast. I haven't used it on a paid gig yet, but will next weekend. The IS is great for shooting in really dark conditions.

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:16 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

Are you deciding between it and the Sigma?

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:25 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

domrafiti1 wrote:
The IS is great for shooting in really dark conditions.

Does the IS work pretty good? I know they usually advertise more stops in IS than what you really get.

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:35 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

MAC wrote:
This pair along with the 100L

How's the AF on the 100? Pretty slow because it's a macro? Do you think it could keep up in servo mode with someone walking toward you?

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:37 AM
MAC
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone Working With Canon's 35 f/2 IS?

100L Not as fast as my 70-200 f2.8L sports lens which is very fast, but when the 100L is placed on the center switch setting, of the three switch focus settings on the 100L, it is fast enough to keep up with action, including in aiservo, any motion scenario weddings can throw at it.
Dpreview: “100L - Fast, silent, and accurate autofocus”
DPR - Comparing the 100L with the older canon macro: “there's no doubt that the 'L' lens is just that bit better in almost every respect. It's clearly sharper at larger apertures (up to about F5.6), which will arguably be most beneficial to users of high resolution APS-C bodies; it's also better built, focuses faster, and of course includes image stabilization. If you want or need the very best, then it's definitely worthwhile.”
100L is the Sharpest lens when on FF -- that DPReview has ever tested. It is the improvement in focus speed (at the top of focus speed in macro lenses) and the 4 stop IS and the very good bokeh and the less than $900 price that make the 100L a great, reasonably priced, portrait lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/6

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password