FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

frustrated

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Surprised this wasn't up here somewhere: http://www.slrlounge.com/stolen-workshop-unfortunate-common-trend

Bascially Rob Adams went to a workshop by Adam Forgione in 2011 and then regurgitated the same stuff in his own creativelive.com workshop. It's clearly not just him taking some points here and there and putting it in his own words. It's almost like he rehearsed some of the stuff from the other workshop. Some of it is nearly word for word and Rob even drops a microphone at one point just like Adam did in his workshop.

Not very creative if you ask me.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:57 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Not many people are going to know Rob or Adam, as they're in a pretty different world. If it matters to anyone, Rob is currently scheduled to teach a fusion video class at Imaging USA and he's also doing something at WPPI.

If anyone cares to see the video Adam put together to demonstrate their remarkably similar style, you can see it here:

One of the things that Adam is most upset about is that Rob took a form that Adam had created that basically showed his style of shooting a short form wedding video, and Rob is now selling it as part of his workshop.

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:28 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

friscoron wrote:
Not many people are going to know Rob or Adam, as they're in a pretty different world.

It sounds like Rob Adams isn't really FROM the video world. It sounds like he hasn't paid his dues there and thereby earned a right to give seminars. Apparently, he attended someone's seminar, copied what he saw there, and turned around and gave the same seminar as the one he attended. This is what a veteran from that industry had to say about Rob:

"Rob never paid his dues or proved himself in the video industry. He was known by photographers, not videographers (because he did work with WPPI and was eventually given a platform) . Many wondered where he came from and how he all of a sudden became knowledgeable enough to start educating the masses. Now we know. ... Just because you attend a bunch of workshops, take great notes and can now study the recorded content on DVDs, doesn’t all of a sudden give you the right to mimic the presentation and call yourself an educator. "

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:19 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Am I the only one who finds it kind of funny?

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:12 AM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

ricardovaste wrote:

No me too and to think people build houses that all look the same lol

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

ricardovaste wrote:

Richard, can you please elaborate? I'm following this with interest and with an initial bias but am short on time so shant write at length (out of character for me) but am interested in hearing your point.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
rmric0
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

You would think that you'd lead with something else in your free workshop broadcast on the Internet to thousands of people.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:49 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

It's easier to sell workshops than it is to sell photography.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Fame is intoxicating. I think people get too caught up in trying to be a "rockstar" and start to cut corners and do some unethical things. I know both Rob and his wife. Very nice people. Not sure what happened here, but the video is quite damning. I haven't spoken to them about it and quite honestly, it's not my place.

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

ricardovaste wrote:

The absurdity of internet famous 'rockstars', the fanboys going at each other on social media, the industry becoming more and more about workshops and funny tweets and giving a like-for-like copy of someone's class on creativelive of all places thinking you won't be found out all makes me laugh.

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

100% with Inku.

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:57 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

*sigh*

It's like a tv evangelist being caught with a prostitute. You just wonder how people who get put on such a pedestal let themselves do something so foolish when people will find out. Granted, this teaching is what probably got himself up there, but still...sheesh.

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:35 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

I never heard of the mayor of Toronto till all the sauce came out, same applies here. The predicted kiss and make up with the industry really boosts things. Rinse and repeat for the most part no one seems to want to put in the graft. I blame the pixels

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:50 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

swoop wrote:

Speaking from experience I think it is easier and more profitable to sell photography.

- trr

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Inku Yo wrote:
Fame is intoxicating. I think people get too caught up in trying to be a "rockstar" and start to cut corners and do some unethical things. I know both Rob and his wife. Very nice people. Not sure what happened here, but the video is quite damning. I haven't spoken to them about it and quite honestly, it's not my place.

It's big business versus small business, in my mind. Small business has a handle on stock/availability. They know what they can and can't do. They know the few people who work close to them and trust them.

Big business has dozens (that's "big" in some industries), hundreds, or thousands of employees. They have to hire people to hire people, and hire more people to deal with those people, keep them in line, pay them, etc. Inventory can't be properly tracked in most cases, and the things people say and do always get out of hand because you simply can't control that many voices. Additionally, theft becomes more easy because it's harder to track. Big Brother can only watch so much with a discerning camera. And additionally, the human touch that keeps people reliable, trust worthy and honest goes out the window. It's hard to steal from your boss "Bob Smith", but it's easy to steal from "Walmart - the big/bad corporation who makes millions every day in profits, so stealing a toothbrush won't really matter."

It's sad, but the big guys and gals trust too many people who simply can't be trusted. They can't handle everything on their own, so they farm out a lot of stuff. And that's not a bad thing. Farming out some things to trusted parties is totally worth it, but you have to build that trust and relationship first.

That's kinda' why I like to keep my business mine. My website, my blog, my email correspondence, my editing. I have no one to blame but myself, and it's nice to know that I can track an error, if there is one, and fix it quickly, rather than relying on an HR, PR, Hiring Department, or a board of executives to meet next month to make a decision.

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:51 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

The term Rockstar is absolutely amazing - we just take wedding photographs, no one outside of other people who take wedding photographs give a sh**. That's like saying my girl Sally is a real rockstar mortgage broker.

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:16 PM
eburge
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

"Milli Vanilli"

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:32 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

jofoto photo wrote:
The predicted kiss and make up with the industry really boosts things.

Looks like there's not going to be a kiss-and-make-up here, with Rob Adams defending his actions.

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:53 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

swoop wrote:

You wonder what a lot of peoples' motivations are to be putting on workshops. Most of them claim to make so much money that they don't need the extra cash.

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Another wedding "Rockstar" is catching some heat

Girl, you know it's true.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password