New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

I`ve used my alt lenses with adapters on my 1 series cameras and my 5d2 with no problems. Today I stuck my alt lenses on the 5d3 and things were going haywire (contax, leica etc)

Is there something i should know? have the contacts slightly changed position on the mk3 or anything else i should know?

Thanks

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:40 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

You are using chipped adapters? I believe some (?) old ones may not be compatible. Tape over one of them and verify the 5d3 works OK with no connection.

Mike

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:01 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

old chips don't work with newer 5d3 or 1dx
I've used Optix 5+ chips that works on my 5d3.

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:30 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

Thanks, I have some older non chip adapters that I will try.

cheers

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:14 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

The 5d3 works ok with no chips. I have a few adapters in black with chips, looking at the way they are fitted with what looks like resin they are going to be a bugger to get off. I don`t want to just tape over them but want to try to remove them. any advice? or is it very difficult without damaging the adapters?

Thanks

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:40 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

No probs, after using a stanley knife on the first one I found that a firm grip with pliers snapped the fitting off easily and a touch of cleaning up the area.

To be honest I don`t know why I ever went for chipped adapters in the first place, who cares about the exif as long as the image is sharp and correctly exposed and you can more or less judge what the exposure was and focal length.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

If you use an older adapter make sure not to go beyond the first lock position when mounting on the camera. Some adapters have a small stop screw to keep you going beyond this position but others do not and you could break a switch just behind the mount on the camera.

You should also consider some of the newer ZE lenses

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:05 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

I'd consider going back to 5D2 for manual given the OEM EG-S matte which the 5D3 for some strange reason doesnt support. The 5D3 upgraded AF but not much more with regards to IQ.

Regardless if that matters, great to hear that problem was solved.

Dec 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

Removed the chips from all my adapters and just been running through my alt lenses on the 5D3. I`ve been lazy and just using my Canon zooms etc. You just can`t beat focussing in live view on the actual sensor, a PITA at times more so hand held but worth it.
Now I know why I got into alt lenses in the first place.
Among my many lenses the notable ones are Voitglander 40 f2 ultron mk2, Leica 50 f2 sumi, Contax 21(old MM version), Contax 100 3.5 ( more of a pain to focus being 3.5 but well worth the effort) Contax 35-70 ( surprisingly seems as good as primes at all the focal lengths) Nikon 55 2.8 macro Ais,

Q. I used to have a link to a site where near enough every lens was rated by users on like a spread sheet( I think the background was yellow) open or stopped down, wide end or zoom or tele etc etc but after renewing my pc`s and bt changing the home page and moving away from yahoo I lost the link, any ideas? is it still on line?

Thanks.

PS. just out of interest to anyone considering a Fuji, I have the x pro 1 which is superb considering it`s not FF or very high res and recently added the 14mm lens(equi 21mm on 35mm) and believe it or not it is on par with the Contax 21 in the central area and just a tad better in the extreme corners.

Dec 21, 2013 at 08:31 AM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

dave chilvers wrote:
No probs, after using a stanley knife on the first one I found that a firm grip with pliers snapped the fitting off easily and a touch of cleaning up the area.

To be honest I don`t know why I ever went for chipped adapters in the first place, who cares about the exif as long as the image is sharp and correctly exposed and you can more or less judge what the exposure was and focal length.

Besides EXIF information, chips offer other features like
- focus confirmation, which I personally find helpful
- focus micro adjustment, which many lenses will need and I have done on several of mine.

If you have older chipped adapters, simply strip off the older chip, leaving the dried glue on, which serves as a nice bed for the new chip to sit in. The new chip has an adhesive bottom, so you just need to put it on and press it firmly for a few seconds, and it stays. It sounds fragile but I've had no problems with it.

Another option is to send your old adapters to the ebay seller you buy new chips from. They usually will install them for free.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

sxgva wrote:
Besides EXIF information, chips offer other features like
- focus confirmation, which I personally find helpful
- focus micro adjustment, which many lenses will need and I have done on several of mine.

If you have older chipped adapters, simply strip off the older chip, leaving the dried glue on, which serves as a nice bed for the new chip to sit in. The new chip has an adhesive bottom, so you just need to put it on and press it firmly for a few seconds, and it stays. It sounds fragile but I've had no problems with it.

Another option is to send
...Show more

Thanks for replying.
to be honest the chips are only giving focus confirmation from the AF sensors in the camera and well stopped down thats not bad but we all know that AF has always been a bit hit and miss really and at least focussing via live view you are actually getting it from the horses mouth so to speak and of course you only need micro adjustment because you are relying on confirmation from the cameras AF sensor.
It really does seem to me that using really good alt glass requires live view to get the best. For street walking grab shots then I`m prepared to put up with Canons AF lenses (after micro adjust) rather than loose the shot. I`ve tried split image screens in the past with the 1ds which had no live view and it was better than nothing but it still relied on that screen being perfectly positioned which is why we fiddled with shims in the early days. All good fun though.

Cheers

Dave

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5dmk3 with alt lenses

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Start.html

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.