New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Just happened by this announcement. Thought it might be of value to you all using the gear

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/11/olympus_firmware_updates_for_em1_xz2_and_mzuiko_1250.php

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:47 PM
rrwilliams64
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

yep.....

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_downloads_updater_info.asp?utm_campaign=olympusStore&utm_medium=link&utm_source=olympusamerica.com&utm_content=oima_camera_updater

Dec 18, 2013 at 06:49 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Electronic First curtain!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/31/olympus-updates-om-d-e-m1-with-electronic-first-curtain-anti-shock?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

No more shutter shock period. The E-M1 was already great about that but this is good news. I would think first curtain doesn't mean reduced dynamic range like you see on the GM-1 above 1/500.

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:10 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

I love the camera description of the feature "1/320 or less". What does that mean? From 1/320 to 1/8000 or from 1/320 down to 30 sec. I think they mean "slower".

And yes, there is absolutely no reason for electronic first curtain to impact dynamic range. So it shouldn't matter. There are very good reasons for an electronic second curtain to impact dynamic range as it does in the GM1.

Lastly, I'm guessing the 1/320 limit is because of a limit in syncing the electronic and mechanical curtains in their implementation. At slower speeds any mismatch results in vanishingly small errors, at faster speeds you might get exposure errors or noticeable gradients across the field. In a camera that was originally designed for EFC not an issue (e.g. NEX, Canon, GM1) but perhaps there were limitations in the EM1 when they added it as an afterthought.

Very nice that they included something like this in a FW update!

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:50 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Dang, I missed that first curtain thing in their description initially. (Probably because it didn't mention it, of course. )

I'll be updating the bodies tonight!

Mar 31, 2014 at 07:57 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Great news!

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:35 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

I'm guessing it's a benefit of the panasonic sensor and olympus had to implement this new to them feature in their own OS. I believe many panasonic bodies already had electronic first curtain.

Mar 31, 2014 at 09:32 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Nice to see a solution to a "problem" that many people claimed adamantly didn't exist all over various forums

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

I just saw that some people already did comparison tests and the shutter shock issue is gone. Really nice, since it was my main frustration with the E-M1.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Betacamman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Updated my bodies. In the Quick Start Menu, there are now new settings for shooting speed -- single, L and H with the Anti-Shock.

But L and H are greyed out. I can only select Single Shot with the Anti-Shock setting. Doesn't matter which mode I'm in.

Anyone else run into this?

Mar 31, 2014 at 05:47 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oly OM-D-E-M1 firmware upgrade

Hrm, nice to see, although frankly shutter shock seems to be a very rare occurrence for me. Still, better to have this than not

Mar 31, 2014 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.