New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 70D vs. JVC GC-PX100 Camcorder

ChipinSD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70D vs. JVC GC-PX100 Camcorder

Hello,

I currently have a 4 year old JVC Everio camcorder and want to upgrade to get higher quality video - especially for action/sports. One area I am particularly interested in is slow motion (for swing analysis and for entertainment). I have been looking at a bunch of different options and based on my research and answers to a few earlier posts in this forum have narrowed my choices down to two.

The first choice is to buy a Canon 70D primarily as a camcorder. I experimented with DSLR video with my 7D and found that I very much liked the quality. When in focus, the video blows away what I get from my 4 year old Everio. The problem is I have found it difficult to maintain focus with moving objects. The main arguments to buy a 70D are:

1. offers video features/focusing not available in my 7D
2. would give me a backup body to the 7D, also could bring two cameras to events although this is unlikely
3. Let's me use my Canon lenses (70-200 F2.8, 300 F4, 85 F1.8, 17-55 F2.8 EFS among others)

The second choice is the JVC GC-PX100 Full HD Everio Camcorder. It's main selling points for my needs are:

1. it is a camcorder so maintaining focus on moving objects should be easier, also has camcorder controls/features like optical IS...
2. may be better in low light - it has a super fast F1.2 10x zoom lens that offers 200x digital
3. Shoots 1920x1080p 60fps but also offers 1280x720p 120 fps as well as higher fps at reduced resolutions up to 600 fps (and can play them back immediately)
4. Can get by with built-in mic w/o worrying about capturing lens focus noise, also has built-in light
5. Is a lot easier to handle than a 70D with one of my larger L lenses attached

I wish I could test both systems out side by side for myself to see which I prefer. The costs are pretty similar (within $100 or so).

With all the video improvements in the 70D, does anyone know how it compares to this high-end consumer camcorder?
a) will HD video be similar quality on both?
b) what will look better - 720P 120fps on the JVC or 1080p 60fps on the 70D that is slowed down 50% in post?

I want to make my purchase decision in the next week to take advantage of some really good sales. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm posting this in a Canon forum and I am a loyal Canon user like many others. But if the JVC would be better, I would rather purchase it and save money up for a 6D.

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:55 PM
jpegram
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70D vs. JVC GC-PX100 Camcorder

With the interchangeable lenses, I can't imagine the JVC being that much better in video quality. Plus, the quality of the canon should be better. I've never compared them, but it doesn't seem logical that a camcorder would be better overall than a higher end pro-sumer like the 70D.

You could try and compare them side by side and see. Someone somewhere has to have both in stock so you can try them.

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.