Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

After recently upgrading to the latest version of Reikan's Focal Pro, I've been attempting to connect my 1D Mark IV via USB to gauge the # of shutter actuations.. when I turn on the camera, the camera recognizes the camera instantly & prompts me to connect to EOS utility, which I decline.

I load up FoCal 1.9.2 without issue, but as soon as I press the "Find & Connect" button on top left, the program crashes from a program error. Even when I don't have my camera connected, hitting the button still crashes the program the exact same way.. Edit (in response to the 1st comment below): Re-installing the software doesn't fix the problem, tried about a dozen times, even used diff versions of the software. (But I will try shutting off the firewall momentarily later today)

Any other ideas? I'm using Windows XP Pro on this computer btw.. Of the top of my head, I'm guessing I've probably disabled one of the "non-critical" services that this program might need via Run > services.msc modification?

Blah, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Turn off any firewall software you might be running. I would also unplug any other USB items. If that doesn't do it then a remove and reinstall the program might do it.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Disable the Canon Utility so that it doesn't connect to the camera. I believe this is a known issue the FoCal support can also help you with.

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:21 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Andrew J wrote:
Turn off any firewall software you might be running. I would also unplug any other USB items. If that doesn't do it then a remove and reinstall the program might do it.

Thanks, I'll try turning off the firewall later tonight & unplugging non-immediate USB items.

Jeff Donald wrote:
Disable the Canon Utility so that it doesn't connect to the camera. I believe this is a known issue the FoCal support can also help you with.

I started a service ticket with them, but they haven't responded yet - how would I disable Canon utility? Currently I have that software installed but it prompts me to either open or cancel the Canon utility operation, I had assumed that meant EOS Utility wasn't using the camera already at that point.. Thank you btw

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:37 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

kaycephoto wrote:
how would I disable Canon utility? Currently I have that software installed but it prompts me to either open or cancel the Canon utility operation, I had assumed that meant EOS Utility wasn't using the camera already at that point.. Thank you btw

Two things to look at:

In windows, go to default programs and change the autoplay settings so it does not start Canon Utilities.

In Canon Utilities, preferences, uncheck the start Canon Utilities when camera is connected. (You must have camera connected to uncheck it.)

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:37 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

scalesusa wrote:
Two things to look at:

In windows, go to default programs and change the autoplay settings so it does not start Canon Utilities.

In Canon Utilities, preferences, uncheck the start Canon Utilities when camera is connected. (You must have camera connected to uncheck it.)

Thanks for the suggestions.. Disabled Autoplay in all drives/devices thru Windows settings panel. Changed the preferences for inside Canon Utilities. Focal Pro still crashed every time..

Uninstalled EOS Utility outright, restarted the computer.. same issue with crashing focal pro. :S

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Throw away this soft and use snapsy's DotTune. Less expensive and much more reliable to check AF accuracy.

BTW, it's sad for you but I'm not surprised. It is an ersatz of software.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:19 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Is DotTune able to tell you the # of shutter actuations on the body?

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

There are free softs that can solve your request. Now the pupose of Focal is to perform AFMA, isn't it ? Doing too many things at a time is risky ! Saying it differently, one tool for one task (Unix vs Win philosophy).

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:35 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Larate wrote:
There are free softs that can solve your request. Now the pupose of Focal is to perform AFMA, isn't it ? Doing too many things at a time is risky ! Saying it differently, one tool for one task (Unix vs Win philosophy).

I agree with you, just figured I'd use Focal to do a checkup before selling a body since I already had Focal Pro purchased previously..

I used to rely on EOS Count for shutter counts, that's no longer free-ware.. any other suggestions? the body in question is a 1D Mark IV.. thanks.

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:43 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

My MkIV connects fine with Focal Pro, on a Windows 8 laptop. I wonder if it is a problem with XP?

Hopefully FoCal technical support will get back to you soon. I had an issue connecting a 7D (which ended up fixing itself), but FoCal wrote back within a couple of days of my opening the ticket, and they were pretty responsive after that.

Mark

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:37 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

msalvetti wrote:
My MkIV connects fine with Focal Pro, on a Windows 8 laptop. I wonder if it is a problem with XP?

Hopefully FoCal technical support will get back to you soon. I had an issue connecting a 7D (which ended up fixing itself), but FoCal wrote back within a couple of days of my opening the ticket, and they were pretty responsive after that.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I used to be able to use the Mk IV fine on Focal Pro.. either the latest (few) versions of Focal Pro aren't happy with Windows XP, or else Service Pack 3 isn't happy with Focal Pro.. dunno.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Larate
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

My main environment is Mac so I don't plug a Win machine except when no alternative exists on Mac. Lastly I needed to check the shutter count for both a 1Dx and a 5D3 bodies. I ran a Macport of the free tool gphoto2 successfully (gphoto2 runs "natively" on Linux).
Looking fot a Win implementation for you, I've just seen instructions to run it on Win7 : http://foobaring.blogspot.fr/2013/10/howto-install-gphoto2-in-windows-7.html but alas I've not checked it yet. Hope it works for you on XP.

Edit: I don't think the SP3 would be the culprit. Most of the time, it is a requirement nowadays (at least when XP is supported by the software).
You can check your version of .Net (sometimes a reinstall of it solves problems), or try with an older version of Focal in case the latest one no longer supports XP.

Dec 20, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

Is your Windows XP compatible?
Windows: Windows XP SP3 (or Windows XP 64 bit SP2) or later (note this software will not work on Windows XP SP2 or earlier, or any Windows XP MCE edition,

Dec 22, 2013 at 08:54 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reikan FocalPro crashing each time I connect a camera?

I don't know but in November I installed the latest Focal on my older than the hills Dell laptop with XP, 32 bit. Had to install Canon utilities to get a certian file to make a connection. This was due to get a further distance outside for our 800mm. I can hook to Win 7 computer and take care of setups using our 45 foot hallway. The Win XP laptop worked with 1Dx, 1Dmk4, and 5Dmk3.

You could remove both the Canon utilities and Focal and install from strach? Maybe a file is corupt or missing.

Edit: I do remember that there was a requrired file that was necessary with my XP install. You maybe missing that file.

Dec 26, 2013 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.